Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree kittens from a rescue home?

• 15-04-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭

We've always had moggies but thinking of getting a pair of pedigree kittens. Unfortunately budget constraints mean we won't be able to fork out 100s to a breeder so are looking to see if we'd get them from a cat rescue.

What are the chances of us getting pedigree kittens from a rescue home?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Absolutely zilch I'd say, whatever hope you'd have of a pair of adult pedigree cats (of which there'd be a fair few about, breeders would often have older cats for rehoming) you'l not find a pair of young pedigree kittens for rehoming. And if you do I'd be very weary of them being scams, unless through a proper breeder you've actually had face to face contact with.

There's so many breeds out there too, all with very different traits and sizes, which ones have you your mind on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You'll get adult pedigree cats from a rescue home. You'll also get kittens of various breeds, but you won't get a pedigree - meaning you won't get papers with proof of past generations on them. The pure bred kittens you'll get in rescue will be from less than scrupulous breeders, because responsible breeders won't have kittens in rescue. If they sell a kitten and the new home decides they don't want it, there will often be a return clause in the contract of a responsible breeder.

You'll get first generation cross breeds in rescue regularly enough - someone with a pedigree who didn't get it neutered in time has an oops litter that they can't rehome and ends up handing the kittens into rescues or the vet clinic.

Depends on your reasons though - why do you specifically want a pedigree cat, and what type of cat do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You'll get adult pedigree cats from a rescue home. You'll also get kittens of various breeds, but you won't get a pedigree - meaning you won't get papers with proof of past generations on them. The pure bred kittens you'll get in rescue will be from less than scrupulous breeders, because responsible breeders won't have kittens in rescue. If they sell a kitten and the new home decides they don't want it, there will often be a return clause in the contract of a responsible breeder.

You'll get first generation cross breeds in rescue regularly enough - someone with a pedigree who didn't get it neutered in time has an oops litter that they can't rehome and ends up handing the kittens into rescues or the vet clinic.

Depends on your reasons though - why do you specifically want a pedigree cat, and what type of cat do you want?

I don't know how common they are in your neck of the woods but I'v never seen a purebred kitten of any breed from any sort of a breeder in a rescue in Ireland, I'v seen a handful of purebred older cats. Any first generation crosses, accident or not, are usually sold on donedeal for a hefty price, regardless of whether the kittens even look anything like the purebred parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ah - thought you might have the backyard breeder problem with rag dolls and birmans that we have (and that the UK has) - a problem that's also heading into Maine Coons, incidentally.

Selling a first gen cross from a oops litter is just sad.

In terms of the BYB issue, if you're not seeing them already the GFC and recession may prevent you from seeing more of them.

I don't do cat rescue any more (enough to do with own pets, and I moved state) but I remember we did get really striking looking cats through the door every so often, with no definitive breeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks everyone, just thought I'd ask. ;)

We were looking for a couple of Persians, but after a quick scout on donedeal it seems to be mainly new trendy breeds about. Don't know anything about them or their traits.

So it looks like we're sticking to moggies, ah well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You can find beautiful long haired moggies though;)
    Having said that, the one cat of my gang that is long haired looks like she has some pedigree in her. She has a terrible inherited joint problem which has cost me a fortune in surgery (that hasn't worked). Never had a problem with the true mogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If you check out sabcci they have a homing section. I think there are 2 British shorthairs looking for homes.
    Most breeders will take back cats that have not worked out for whatever reason and will rehome. If you have a breed in mind maybe just ask around a few of the breeders on the sabcci list and see if they have adults available. A coon breeder I know recently had 2 coons for rehome due to a change in their owners circumstances and I think she also had a Burmese for the same reason.

Advertisement