Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from TRI to RUN

• 15-04-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

It's been a while since I've been on boards. Long story short had a babytri 10 months ago and it's time to get the finger out and get back in shape.
    Don't have the time anymore for triathlon so I'm gonna try to concentrate on running for the summer but it was ALWAYS my weakest discipline.
    In terms of goals...I've singned up for the Le Cheile 5km in Leixlip in 3 weeks but I've literally JUST got back to running a consistent 5km in a shocking time of 27 minutes (convincing myself that it's because it's a hilly course but still disheartened at my time). After that, hoping to do the Adidas Series up to 10 miles and a few local races here in the NW as they come up... maybe even the Warriors Run which I did in 2007 in about 1.30ish.

As I'm not really a runner, I don't know my PB's only have times from runs in brick sessions or triathlon races. My best 5km being Athlone in 2009 in 22mins but have resigned myself to the fact that course must've been short!

So plan is to get out when I can, as often as I can, as fast as I can and any ladies out there with some post-natal training advice I'll happily take it on!
    Really don't want to embarrass myself in Leixlip as I'll be back in my old 'hood so would like to do it in 24mins...think it's possible to shave 3 minutes in 3 weeks???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

The plan for this week is:
    Monday - 5km
    Tues - rest
    Wed - 3 x 1200 intervals (this'll be a first!)
    Thurs - easy 5km
    Fri - 5km
    Sat - 5km
    Sun - 7.5km

Last week was my first consistent week of getting in 3 runs (2 x 5k, 1 x 6.5k) so this might be a bit too much of a jump in miles for me so might drop Friday or Saturday's run if I'm feeling dodgy. But want to push it out this week and next so I can take it easier the week of the Le Cheile run.

The intervals run will be with the tri club, haven't trained with them in almost 2 years between pregnancy and young baby so looking forward to this although I know it's gonna hurt like hell.

Sunday's run is on trails in the forest park, did 6.5km last Sunday so hoping I'll be ok adding another km to that, felt fine last week so reckon it'll be alright.

Just over 5km "easy" tonight, except it wasn't easy... Every time I go out I think it's gonna just 'click' and I'll find my stride but it hasn't happened yet. Conscious that I'm still carrying a few baby pounds so hopefully shifting them will help.

Tomorrow: Friday Night Lights followed by Mad Men.

Might do an old fashioned circuit training session...or should I rest before Wednesday nights intervals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good to see you back m'lady. All the best with the new log and goals

Thanks MCOS and my my haven't you been busy...good to see you've not been slackin' off...too much:)

Holy Calamity!

Met up with a few people from the tri club for this session and hope to keep this as a weekly thang...but it was tough!

900m warm up then:
    (1200m) - 5.58
    (1200m) - 5.47
    (900m) - 4.35
    1200m cool down.

5400m total
    I was burnt out by the 3rd interval so quit at 900m
    So these are my times to beat.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a nice, slow 5km to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Will be following your log with interest Ladytri! Baby Bungy is 9 months old - I've not been on my bike since 2010 and only make it to the pool occasionally so any spare time is going to be spent trying to improve my running. Found it really tough initially to get back training but signed up for a few races and getting back in the swing of things now. Best of luck with your goals and your log.

Thanks Bungy Girl and congratulations on baby bungy!
    Fair play to you getting out after 9 months. I tried to get a routine going a couple of times since she was 6 weeks old but this is the closest I've come to getting regular sessions in - running is just so much handier when you don't have much time. More bang for your buck!
    Swimming's not easy for me at the moment because I don't live near a pool but once the club get back into the lake I'd say I'll be tempted to join them. As for cycling - haven't sat on the saddle of a bike in a year and a half!
    Do you have a log? I'd love to keep up with your progress too:)

Hi Ladytri,
    I did think about writing a log but I was afraid no one would read it and I'd just be talking to myself :o...I love reading other peoples though and find them really motivating. Agree with you on the running being the handiest now that time is tight (not sure what I did with my time before the baby tbh :confused:). I did buy a bike seat for Baby Bungy and she loves sitting in it with her helmet on even though I haven't plucked up the courage yet to actually cycle anywhere. Speak of the devil ... I'm being summoned by her majesty. Deffo go for the 24min 5K, race day adrenaline and a bit of competition will knock the 3 mins off for sure! Best of luck with it!

I'd read it! Would be cool to compare notes with someone who has a similar background and similar goals ... (not to mention suffers from broken sleep!)

'easy' 5k on Thursday, legs were still in ribbons from Wednesday's intervals:(

Rest (and an aul bottle of vino) last night.

Did my road 5k route this morning, the one that takes me about 27mins. Felt ok at the start, split time was looking good, 17 mins at the half way point which is mostly uphill but was disappointed to finish in 26.40. I feel tired every time I run. Just not in any kind of decent form yet.

Tomorrow is 7.5k forest trails in the park which I'm looking forward to.

Total mileage this week:
    Sun: 6.5. Mon: 5. Wed: 5.4. Thur: 5. Sat: 5
    26.9k!! Been a while since I did that kind of mileage.

• Advertisement

LSR today.
    7.8km: 42mins.
    This felt really good, despite the fact I just had a fry up about an hour before hand. I think this is the first run I've actually enjoyed in a while, the forest park is in full bloom with wild garlic and bluebells so feeling pretty lucky to have such a nice spot to run at weekends.

Plan for the week:
    Mon: 5km
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Intervals: 1x 400, 1 x 800, 1 x 1200, 1x 800, 1 x 400 (3.6km total)
    Thurs: 5km slow
    Fri: 5km
    Sat: 8.5km
    Sun: rest

Not sure how I should be doing these 5k's during the week but just keep trying to improve on times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Heeeeeeeeeey,

welcome back!

Look forward to seeing you in Leixlip.
    Don't kill yourself training over next 2 weeks, there's a long summer ahead for that.

We'll have a nice cup of tea :) after the 5k,

see you then, J

Ah Jb-ski, good to hear from ye!
    Really looking forward to the cakes run in Leixlip, been reading good things about your race. You going to be running yourself or are ye doing hospitality?

I'm going to bust myself this week and take handy the following week, at least that's the plan in my head:)

Looking forward to that cup of tea and a catch up.

[QUOTE

Did my road 5k route this morning, the one that takes me about 27mins. Felt ok at the start, split time was looking good, 17 mins at the half way point which is mostly uphill but was disappointed to finish in 26.40.[/QUOTE]

Spanner brain- just spotted this typo above, split was 12:40ish at halfway point!

Anyway, back to tonight. Did my town 5k route (slightly longer version tonight of 5.3k but who's counting!) 27:43-I'm going backwards but I don't care because I really enjoyed it.

Realised tonight I probably won't be able to make the group interval session on Wednesday so I'll have to do this on my own and that's not going to end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck with the new log and goals. You'll smash your 5km goal come race day, just enjoy being back out there and the training.

So missed the intervals run last night. Didn't get out at all due to sick baba.
    Plan is to try to do these tomorrow night now.

This morning was a tough 5k in the park, very windy, no times which is just as well.

It's been a disastrous couple of days with a sick baby so training not really a priority.

But did get out this morning for my LSR which was just shy of 8.5k in 44.20.
    Haven't gotten much sleep the last 3 nights so was just glad to get out and clear the head. Did the first 5k in 26mins and slowed down a lot after that.

Mileage for the week: 26k
    Plan for next week: Haven't a clue...catch up on sleep maybe...oh and run the le cheile 5k:)

Hope Babytri is feeling better ? It's heartbreaking when they're sick. Good on ya for getting out for your long run in spite of that. I'm working on the basis that all miles are good miles at this stage, even if they're done in when you're half asleep and covered in pureed veg :rolleyes:

Not sure what I'll be able to fit in this week but went out this eve to do 5k trail in the forest park. Lovely evening, clocked 25:15 so happy enough with that.

Hope to do club interval session on Wednesday but OH probably has to work late so not looking too good. All going well, I'll get a slow run on Thursday too to stretch the legs.

Don't think I'll hit my target of 24 on Saturday but what about it, it'll be my babymama PB no matter what happens:)

Club interval session

900m W/U
    3 x 1mile reps with 2min rest
    900m C/D

Intended trying these at 8min pace but:
    7.17 (waaay too fast)
    7.34 (still too fast)
    7.54 (just right)

Bloody hard but it's over now. Just going to do an easy 2 miles or something tomorrow night to recover and stretch the legs.

• Advertisement

So very short, slow jog last night. Legs were wrecked from Wednesday, too much too soon me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow. Make sure to enjoy it. No doubt there are plenty of races in your future so take it handy getting back into it :)

ladytri wrote: »
    Legs were wrecked from Wednesday, too much too soon me thinks.

Maybe...but it shows you've got the speed to smash that 5K, so go for it and then put your feet up for a few days with a bottle of vino and a large bar of Cadbury's.....

Lovely morning in Leixlip, well done to all the organisers for a really well run event.

So had intended on getting in and around 24 mark but had to reassess that after running the 1st km way too slow and just couldn't catch up with myself! I'm really bad at pacing, I haven't done a 5k in years!

I was a wee bit peaved to see the finish clock approaching 25 after horsing it around the grass track to the finish line. But after a cup of tea and a consolation cake I realised I'd crossed the timing mats well after the starters so chip time was 24.46. Not what I was hoping for but I have to put things into perspective,
    I've knocked almost 3 minutes off my time in 3 weeks and aside from my recent escapades I haven't done any run training in almost 2 years.

So my next public declaration of intent is I'm gonna aim to break the 24 mark in another 5k around the 27th of may and hope to do the Curlew Warrior 10k at the end of June because it's literally on my doorstep- used to run the Curlews years ago for the Warriors Run and cycled them for the Wicklow 100.

Spent the rest of the bank holiday in Leixlip so tonight was my 1st run since le cheile.

Planning on using HH intermediate 10k programme so started on week 2 tonight which should bring me up to the Curlew Warrior at the end of June.
    Not sure if the intermediate is a bit ambitious at this stage but I'll step it back if it feels too tough. I'm going to tweak it a bit because of time restrictions and sessions with the club. Also need to get some hill work in there too.

3.5miles, easy pace. 29:02

Club intervals

Met the guys tonight for 8 x 400. Never did these before and really enjoyed it!

W/U 900m
    1:36 / 1:37 / 1:37 / 1:39 / 1:40 / 1:40 / 1:39 / 1:37 all off 1 minute recovery.
    C/D 900m

I had aimed to do these at 8 minute mile pace but 1st one felt good so I just kept pushing at that pace. Really frustrating that this and last night's run felt so good, feels like I underperformed on Saturday but lesson learnt.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 4 miles and Friday rest but think I'll switch these around. Have to jiggle a few things this week actually, can't do long run on Sunday so I'll do that on Saturday.

Well done on the speed session ! I always feel like I'm going to hurl afterwards but it really does make a difference to your racing.
    Love Hal's programmes, I find if I'm not following some sort of plan or goal I'll just run around aimlessly and not really get anywhere. BTW do you wear a heart monitor ? I find it really helpful at the moment to make sure I don't kill myself on every run.

I do have a HRM but I NEVER use it! Jebus, don't even know where the strap is anymore. Might try to rig the thing up again if I can locate it though!

4 mile. Easy run. 34:45.

Changing to miles is tricky - damn you Hal!
    One benefit of now having a race time from the le cheile run is I have something to gauge my paces for these runs by. But according to McMillan this should be at 9:43 - 10:13 pace, but this was more like 8:41 so again pacing a bit off, but it felt ok.

• Advertisement

The weekend was a bit of a disaster running wise, was having way too much fun drinking and eating.

Tonight did another speed session with the club, and another new session for me, 20 minute tempo run.

I kinda misunderstood what we were supposed to do and ended up only doing 18:45. The idea was to run 20 minutes at 90% effort over an out and back section of road measuring 950m each way. I covered 3.8km in 18:45, the first 1k at about 100% effort and was wrecked after that.

But I got to go for a swim after which was amazing - haven't swam since I had babytri, had kept up swimming decent distances through pregnancy but without any kind of intensity so wasn't sure what kind of swim fitness would be there but breezed through 800 meters tonight and it felt goooood, waaay easier than this running malarky!

Plan for the week is a bit all over the place and will be for the next 3 weeks as OH is working in Dublin so have no minder in the evenings but will drag the turbo trainer in if I have to!

Advertisement