Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Numbers MENTAL BLOCK

• 15-04-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi i have a serious serious issue with complex numbers. I just simply cant do them. Im doing higher level and my teacher has left out a Q on the paper and i dont want to ignore complex numbers because that will give me no choice on the day of the exam if something awful happens. Any one have any tips on how to get on well in this question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

(i)(i)=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Just go through every Q3 from 199- and you'll get the hang of them.. Not much else advice to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What do you find difficult in particular? What sort of question would you struggle with? Or is it the entire concept?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Go to khanacademy.org and search for complex numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

(i)(i)= -1
    √-1= i
    √-16 -> (√-1)(√16)-> 4i
    z^n = r^n(Cos n(W) +iSin n(W))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Real = real
    Imaginary = imaginary

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Another way to think about about complex numbers is like an x-y graph. Where the real part is the x axis and they imaginary part is the y axis.

You can then use trig to do the complex number calculations.

Advertisement