Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tight steering

• 15-04-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

on my mk1 focus the steering is a bit tight when turning eith way, its all the way not just tight on certain spots, i have to use bit of strenght to turn wheel tbh...

Now there is a recent new power steering pump, the tyres are perfect so is the alignment and tyre pressuire is correct, so what else should i be looking at?

Im think maybe is there bearings on the steering shaft at other end of steering wheel that go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Any noise when turning the steering? Hows your PS fluid level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Some earlier Fords had problems with the lower universal joint of the steering column seizing up. I don't know if the problem still existed when the Focus came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

PS fluid level ok and no noises at all when steering..

What else ya thinking Doc?

Would i be right in saying there is a bearing in the steering in the footwell area? and do they need replacing from time to time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

trixyben wrote: »
    PS fluid level ok and no noises at all when steering..

What else ya thinking Doc?

Would i be right in saying there is a bearing in the steering in the footwell area? and do they need replacing from time to time?

There are bearings on the steering colm, but they would rarely give trouble on any car.

TBH it could be several things, rack, PS pipes, track rod ends, ball joints etc etc.

If the problem has happened suddenly, then its likely a PS problem as any wear on the balljoints etc would have worsened over time.

There are bearings on the steering colm, but they would rarely give trouble on any car.

TBH it could be several things, rack, PS pipes, track rod ends, ball joints etc etc.

If the problem has happened suddenly, then its likely a PS problem as any wear on the balljoints etc would have worsened over time.

It has been like this a good while Doc tbh I just noticed the wear on the steering wheels the other day and thought i need to look into this.

Had a look at the PS pipes and all seem ok, had new tie rod ends abut 5k ago so they should be fine, now ya have me thinking the rack, what should i be looking at with it are is there a fix possible n it?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

on my mk1 focus the steering is a bit tight when turning eith way, its all the way not just tight on certain spots, i have to use bit of strenght to turn wheel tbh...

Now there is a recent new power steering pump, the tyres are perfect so is the alignment and tyre pressuire is correct, so what else should i be looking at?

Im think maybe is there bearings on the steering shaft at other end of steering wheel that go?

Why did you put a new pump on?
    Is it a new pump?
    Did a mechanic put on the new pump?
    Belt tight?

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Is it a new pump?
    Belt tight?

It was a new pump yeah i put it on myself, I thought the new pump would sort it but it didnt, checked the belt all good and tight not slipping etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Is it a new pump?
    Belt tight?

It was a new pump yeah i put it on myself, I thought the new pump would sort it but it didnt, checked the belt all good and tight not slipping etc

Ok.
    On some racks there is a adjuster near the shaft coming thru the floor and into the rack. Usually a big 32 nut with a smaller one inside that. The big one is a lock nut which you can loosen. Then you tighten the smaller one until it stops. This pushes the pinion against the rack tight. You don't want this. You then loosen the small nut by maybe 90 degrees and then tighten the locknut.
    If that sorts it you may have to use trial and error to get the right feel and proper return to centre of the wheel.

Maybe mark the position of the bolts with tip ex first so you will know where to start from.

I'm not saying this is the fix but it's worth a try. You can always set it back to its original position from the tip ex marks.
    It's not a big job.

Ok.
    On some racks there is a adjuster near the shaft coming thru the floor and into the rack. Usually a big 32 nut with a smaller one inside that. The big one is a lock nut which you can loosen. Then you tighten the smaller one until it stops. This pushes the pinion against the rack tight. You don't want this. You then loosen the small nut by maybe 90 degrees and then tighten the locknut.
    If that sorts it you may have to use trial and error to get the right feel and proper return to centre of the wheel.

Maybe mark the position of the bolts with tip ex first so you will know where to start from.

I'm not saying this is the fix but it's worth a try. You can always set it back to its original position from the tip ex marks.
    It's not a big job.

Will give this a try tomorrow and hopefully might do some good, cheers for the tip with the tipex :D

Advertisement