Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age can you licence a rifle

Options
  • 15-04-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

what is the age that you can get a full licence on a rifle would it be the same as a shotgun at 16 i was told it was 17 but i cant find anthing about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

16, parents permission also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

think you can get a training licence at 15 where your covered while out hunting with the person named on your licence , dont quote me on that . but yea 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

they say 16, anywhere else that COULD mean 16 but here it really means come back in a years time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Rifle or shotgun the age is 16 for a full license. Between 14 and not quite 16 a training license can be gotten.
    TriggerPL wrote: »
    think you can get a training licence at 15 where your covered while out hunting with the person named on your licence , dont quote me on that . but yea 16
    A training license, while directed towards those under 16 and 14 or older, can be gotten, and used by a person of any age. IOW if you are 14 or older you ca get one. However if you are 50 and want to shoot on say your son's gun then you can also get a training license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

Ezridax wrote: »
    Rifle or shotgun the age is 16 for a full license. Between 14 and not quite 16 a training license can be gotten.

A training license, while directed towards those under 16 and 14 or older, can be gotten, and used by a person of any age. IOW if you are 14 or older you ca get one. However if you are 50 and want to shoot on say your son's gun then you can also get a training license.

ok so i understand all that but what if no one in the house has a licence, training or full.
    say my 14 year old son is looking a training licence, how does that work seeing as nobody else in his family has one.
    also if i, his dad had been turned down for a licence ??

niall_b73

• Advertisement

niall_b73 wrote: »
    ok so i understand all that but what if no one in the house has a licence, training or full.
    say my 14 year old son is looking a training licence, how does that work seeing as nobody else in his family has one.
    It does not necessarily have to be a family member.

Remember a training license does not entitle the licensee to own the firearm, or buy a firearm. It only allows the person to use another's firearm while remaining under the strict supervision of that person (who must be over 18).

So in short if you apply for a training license it must be for a firearm that is already licensed by another person over 18. You cannot be in possession of the firearm without supervision. You cannot store the firearm even if you have a safe. It must remain stored with the "primary" license holder a all times.

The training license is just that. A means to introduce and train others on the safe, and proficient use of firearms without them having to incur the cost of buying one, and the security that firearm ownership entails.

niall_b73
    If a son wants to get a training license, as said above, it can be with anyone. If his Father has been refused a license it has no bearing on the son, as he will never have ownership, storage, or sole possesion of the firearm. Plus as every application should be judged on it's own merits if the application was turned down due the history of another you MAY have a case for appeal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Ezridax wrote: »
    niall_b73 wrote: »
    It does not necessarily have to be a family member.

Remember a training license does not entitle the licensee to own the firearm, or buy a firearm. It only allows the person to use another's firearm while remaining under the strict supervision of that person (who must be over 18).

So in short if you apply for a training license it must be for a firearm that is already licensed by another person over 18. You cannot be in possession of the firearm without supervision. You cannot store the firearm even if you have a safe. It must remain stored with the "primary" license holder a all times.

The training license is just that. A means to introduce and train others on the safe, and proficient use of firearms without them having to incur the cost of buying one, and the security that firearm ownership entails.

niall_b73
    If a son wants to get a training license, as said above, it can be with anyone. If his Father has been refused a license it has no bearing on the son, as he will never have ownership, storage, or sole possesion of the firearm. Plus as every application should be judged on it's own merits if the application was turned down due the history of another you MAY have a case for appeal.

I know a case of where a sixteen year old went for his licence , and was refused on the ground that his brother was living there and had been in trouble with the guards. Judge agreed with the cops until he turned 18 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

A young lad in our gun club got a shotgun no bother at 16 and applied for a license for a .22 when he was 17. Superintendent said the legal age for a rifle was 18 as its "a lot more dangerous" than a shotgun. He left it until he was 18 and got the license no problem. Saying that he was told by another Gaurd that the minimum age for a rifle was 21 and you HAD to be a farmer :rolleyes:

TriggerPL wrote: »
    I know a case of where a sixteen year old went for his licence , and was refused on the ground that his brother was living there and had been in trouble with the guards. Judge agreed with the cops until he turned 18 .
    Don't get me wrong. The application should be based on the character, and merit of the applicant, but factors such as who else lives in the house will have an effect on it. I mean if an armed bank robber lived in the same house then the Super could say there is a risk of someone that he would not like to see with access to firearms in house, having access. However limited.
    Superintendent said the legal age for a rifle was 18 .........
    Wrong. Sounds like a palm off to avoid giving the license. no one should allow this to stand. if the license is refused based on any other factor then so be it, but when that reason has no basis in law it should be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i have a training licence for a shotgun but i am turning 16 this month and i was going to get a rifle aswell should i have a problem getting a full licence on both guns

• Advertisement

To be 100% clear. 16 is the legal age for a firearms license. Not 18.

The training license would act as prior experience meaning a competency course may not be necessary (thats a guess not a definite), but for a firearm with no previous experience you need a cert.

The is no law to limit the amount of times you can apply or for how many firearms at a time. So if you are told you cannot apply for both then thats wrong, and you should apply and make them refuse if they so desire. Most people are told this, and do not apply hence preventing the Super having to make an official decision.

Advertisement