Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s... Prices?

• 15-04-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new iPhone, as my iTouch of 3 years has finally failed, and I've been using a black and white Nokia for too long now (with a keypad necessitating the use of a pen for 3 buttons :D).

I can't afford bill pay (anything more than 30 a month for over a year), and as such, I wish to purchase a network-less one. The problem is, in shops, the cheapest version costs 580 euro. :eek: Amazon looks a bit more promising; I'd even buy a used/refurbished one.

My question is, would it be possible for me to purchase a network-less one from the States (Amazon.com) where the prices are MUCH better? 550 USD for a new iPhone, which is about 420 euro. Would any complications arise from this?

Would ye merely reccomend an iPhone 4? Any other places to look? I would prefer to spend less than 450 euro if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Try adverts, If you don't want to spend much go for the just the iphone4, there's not much extra on the 4s, camera is only slightly better and it has siri.
    The iphone4 is going for around the 400 mark on adverts at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Prices there look good; there's always a risk buying second hand (for all I know they - the phones - could have been stolen), am I to take your answer as Amazon.com being a no-go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'm not sure about amazon, You could get a brand new iphone 4 on three for €479 on prepay, I'm sure the other networks are similar price wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Forget the USA option, you will get stung by customs.

Ideally steer clear of adverts too, or at least proceed with caution as many if not all will be upgrade phones bought on a long contract, so you are banking your money that the person you bought it from will continue to pay their phone bill for the next 2 years.

so my advice is either save up and buy the Apple sim free phone, or get bill pay maybe on an iPhone 4.

e.g. with Three (don't know if they are good for you) are doing the iPhone 4 for €189 with all you can eat data and 100 mins of calls for €25.41 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Ideally steer clear of adverts too, or at least proceed with caution as many if not all will be upgrade phones bought on a long contract, so you are banking your money that the person you bought it from will continue to pay their phone bill for the next 2 years.

so my advice is either save up and buy the Apple sim free phone, or get bill pay maybe on an iPhone 4.

e.g. with Three (don't know if they are good for you) are doing the iPhone 4 for €189 with all you can eat data and 100 mins of calls for €25.41 per month.
    Thanks for the advice. And thanks for researching that on Three for me, that seems more up my alley. I'll have a look at it. I'd have no problem with any network tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Only if you keep it in the box. All you need to do is open it up, throw away the box and put your simcard in it. Put it through as your personal phone, how can they argue that you didn't have it when you went over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Only if you keep it in the box. All you need to do is open it up, throw away the box and put your simcard in it. Put it through as your personal phone, how can they argue that you didn't have it when you went over?

The OP is not planning on going to the states ...
    My question is, would it be possible for me to purchase a network-less one from the States (Amazon.com)
    ... and buying from Amazon.com will almost certainly cost a lot in shipping ( thats assuming they will even ship outside the states ) and all major carriers these days will report the item for duty + vat , they do this on simple media box sets , you have no chance of them not doing it with a high value item like an iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

andy1249 wrote: »
    The OP is not planning on going to the states ...

Missed that bit. Just assumed people would know you'd definitely need to pay duty on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Gumbi wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a new iPhone, as my iTouch of 3 years has finally failed, and I've been using a black and white Nokia for too long now (with a keypad necessitating the use of a pen for 3 buttons :D).

I can't afford bill pay (anything more than 30 a month for over a year), and as such, I wish to purchase a network-less one. The problem is, in shops, the cheapest version costs 580 euro. :eek: Amazon looks a bit more promising; I'd even buy a used/refurbished one.

My question is, would it be possible for me to purchase a network-less one from the States (Amazon.com) where the prices are MUCH better? 550 USD for a new iPhone, which is about 420 euro. Would any complications arise from this?

Would ye merely reccomend an iPhone 4? Any other places to look? I would prefer to spend less than 450 euro if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

I picked up an unwanted upgrade on www.adverts.ie for €380. Works perfectly. Job done. I'm on the Three €20 a month PAYG tariff. Perfect fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Sorry to re open this. I'm also looking for a 4S, so adverts seems to be a good guarantee. I'm a PAYG customer too for Vodafone. Anyone have any luck anywhere else on getting one? Or Gumbi, did you get one in the end? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Be very careful queen, op was lucky but there's been lots of sob story's here as well, buying from a friend or friend of a friend would be the first best option if your buying from donedeal etc see can you get a receipt from when it was new, if you can't be very very cautious, the amount of dodgy ones out there is crazy.
    General rule of tumb, there's no such thing as a cheap iphone, expect to pay a minimum of €300 and for that make sure there's a receipt or you can at least trace the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

i was on 3's website monday and saw a 'iPhone 4 16gb refresh' (i take it they mean refurbishment) for 399, thought it was a steal and was going to order one yday (had to put some funds on my laser card) but they were gone :(:(:(:(:(

I have a xperia play but i just dont like android.... its a shame apple.ie dont do refurb phones like they do all their other stock :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

darokane wrote: »
    Try adverts, If you don't want to spend much go for the just the iphone4, there's not much extra on the 4s, camera is only slightly better and it has siri.
    The iphone4 is going for around the 400 mark on adverts at the moment
    €400:eek:
    I sold 2 iphone4's last week one on adverts for
    €260 mint condition locked to o2 ireland without box.
    and one elsewhere factory unlocked mint condition without box €270

Advertisement