Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

infinite monkey theorem

• 16-04-2012 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

That's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*reluctantly releases monkeys*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Does this apply to samantha brick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Well the way stats work, the first monkey could randomly generate the works of Shakespeare on his first try.

So you would not need an infinite amount of time.

To be or not to be that is the question mmmwwmmeewrmmrmrremmermrmre

Its possible alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Of course its true. What makes you think otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It was the best of times, It was the blurst of times?! You stupid monkey!!

*Snap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Infinite honey badgers on the other hand.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For a moment I thought this thread was titled "Infinite money theorem". Ireland's now disproven theory on wealth generation in the property market :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is this a banana I see before me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The internet has been around for a few decades, not infinity.

The words typed into the internet have a person and are not random pressings of the keyboard, which is the point of the idea.

Is there only one monkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

The infinite secretary theorem states that a secretary hitting keys at random on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely make a typo error.

There, FYP. :D

Of course its true. What makes you think otherwise?

It not true, nature wise, a monkey nor us will use a keyboard in a purely random fashion. There will be a pattern to that randomness and the result of that patterned randomness will never be a work of shakespeare.

Think about the problem of randomness, how do you generate a totally random number with no external influences using anything. There always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

This would explain how they write Fair City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

This is what I came up with after randomly hitting keys for 30 seconds.

jddjsjsjsjdfjbbvdgdbdjmndldpdlkdjndddndndndnnsjmshsvznxmxmspskisjsjeuwsbenromeodskjdnsmndjdjkjndjndfhtrednaakdspxlcmnc ncfndjndjdjdjedneueki3ikejnmsnskdndjdndndjdndjfkfldodkdk

This is what I came up with after randomly hitting keys for 30 seconds.

jddjsjsjsjdfjbbvdgdbdjmndldpdlkdjndddndndndnnsjmshsvznxmxmspskisjsjeuwsbenromeodskjdnsmndjdjkjndjndfhtrednaakdspxlcmnc ncfndjndjdjdjedneueki3ikejnmsnskdndjdndndjdndjfkfldodkdk

I think that's a passage from Finnegan's Wake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The words typed into the internet have a person and are not random pressings of the keyboard...
    I do wonder sometimes.
    It can be one monkey and an infinite amount of time or an infinite number of monkeys and a set amount of time. Same symphony, different movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Let me try!!

Bella stared into Edwards eyes and felt his cold skin against her chest. Oh, how she longed to make him dinner and have his babies! Who needed a personality, or a purpose, so long as they had a handsome ageless boyfriend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Let me try!!

Bella stared into Edwards eyes and felt his cold skin against her chest. Oh, how she longed to make him dinner and have his babies! Who needed a personality, or a purpose, so long as they had a handsome ageless boyfriend?

Still a better love story than twi... oh. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Normally it's said as an infinite number of monkeys for an infinite length of time, but you only need one condition to be infinite and it will still make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The monkeys complain that they can't get typewriters these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Is there a theorem with a better name than this one? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Given an infinite amount of time, a monkey's primate ancestors will gradually evolve over a huge amount of time until the human species comes into existance, one of whom will be called William Shakespeare thus writing the complete works of William Shakespear.

It already happened lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I blame the unions

mackg wrote: »
    Is there a theorem with a better name than this one? I doubt it.
    I had a similar idea a few years back and called the Infinate time; infinate possibilities theory.
    I was shocked that this theory already existed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

44leto wrote: »
    Well the way stats work, the first monkey could randomly generate the works of Shakespeare on his first try.

So you would not need an infinite amount of time.

You would need an infinite amount of time for the probability to equal 1.

If they were given infinate time they would probably need little over half of it :D:D:D

*reluctantly releases monkeys*
    Thanks from: rab!dmonkey

You're welcome, my furry friend.

• Advertisement

If they were given infinate time they would probably need little over half of it :D:D:D

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_distribution

God I love boring people to death with probability.

But it could still happen on the first attempt.

Take the lotto, you could win it on the first game you ever played. That is because it is possible to win.

But with this theory the assumption is it would happen therefore it could happen on the first attempt.

So with that you can see it is not possible even with infinity in the equations.

That's my conjecture. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_distribution

God I love boring people to death with probability.
    As soon as I saw the title of the article I facepalmed. The wikipedia article was too complicated but I vaguely remember enough from school that I should have known that!

44leto wrote: »
    But it could still happen on the first attempt.

Take the lotto, you could win it on the first game you ever played. That is because it is possible to win.

But with this theory the assumption is it would happen therefore it could happen on the first attempt.

The theorem is that the probability approaches one as n goes to infinity. So in order for the probability to approach one the monkey needs to type for an infinite amount of time. It's the same for any random event.

As soon as I saw the title of the article I facepalmed. The wikipedia article was too complicated but I vaguely remember enough from school that I should have known that!

I was asked something similar in an interview. If the probability of an event happening in the next 60 minutes is 0.9, what's the probability of it happening in then next 30 minutes. It was the highlight of my year.

I was asked something similar in an interview. If the probability of an event happening in the next 60 minutes is 0.9, what's the probability of it happening in then next 30 minutes. It was the highlight of my year.
    Go on, give your answer. You know you want to!

• Advertisement

Go on, give your answer. You know you want to!

Okay, what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My infinite troop of monkeys came up with Einstein's theory of Evolution. And Darwin's theory of Relativity. And the God Delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My infinite troop of monkeys came up with Einstein's theory of Evolution. And Darwin's theory of Relativity. And the God Delusion.
    they havnt got around to that book by Dawkins yet? The Bible?

Fuk, people have been quoting that exact phrase for 15 years OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i think we should cull all monkeys just in case this super breed of shakspeare writing monkeys are hatching a plan to take us out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pherekydes wrote: »
    But no Shakespeare? FAIL!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Source? The probability of a monkey typing for an infinite of time producing the complete works of Shakespeare is 1.

The probability of them doing it within the lifespan of the universe is as close to 0 as makes no difference

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

28064212 wrote: »
    But no Shakespeare? FAIL!

In theory, because there's an infinite number of them, they've written every work ever written and next years Pulitzer prize winner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I had a similar idea a few years back and called the Infinate time; infinate possibilities theory.
    I was shocked that this theory already existed!

The paradox is strong with this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Of course it's true.
    Granted it might take a trillion monkeys going at it for a trillion times the life expectancy of the universe to do it.
    It's about as likely as a man with a beard being responsible for the big bang.

In theory, because there's an infinite number of them, they've written every work ever written and next years Pulitzer prize winner.
    Depends on when they started and how fast they type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

fcuk the monkeys, i just wanna know if it was the egg or chicken that came first :(

It wouldn't take a monkey too long to type "yore ma."

In fact, I'm not certain that this hasn't been done already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

davet82 wrote: »
    fcuk the monkeys, i just wanna know if it was the egg or chicken that came first :(

Right so, you go fuck some monkeys and come back and tell us how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement