Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread **READ POST #1 IN FULL**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This reads like you're suggesting the mods aren't people at all. Maybe they're evolved reptiles with plans on world domination. Thinking about it, I can't see how this isn't the case.

An automaton style would be a step up at this point. At least it would be pre emptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

3 day ban for trolling, without this yellow card nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Samich wrote: »
    3 day ban for trolling, without this yellow card nonsense?

Someone can just show up every week to troll the matchthreads

Banning match threads would mean superthreads being a minefield, with discussion going on for days in some cases.

Imo match threads have improved greatly this last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Can we PLEASE ban all forms of the word "obsess"? It's doing my head in at this stage, seeing good arguments being shot down as "people being obsessed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't think the match threads would or should really be considered for getting rid of tbh, overall they are what they are, part good part nightmare, but it is far better to have them in a specific place rather then cluttering up Superthreads etc.

More active mods, with the power to act autonomously, thats all I want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Spot On
    kryogen wrote: »
    I don't think the match threads would or should really be considered for getting rid of tbh, overall they are what they are, part good part nightmare, but it is far better to have them in a specific place rather then cluttering up Superthreads etc.

More active mods, with the power to act autonomously, thats all I want!
    More common sense applied, i.e. relative discussion in a superthread during a match should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't think Mods should have omnipotence when it comes to infracting/banning people as some here are suggesting. They are fans as well and just as likely to be subjective like other posters when issues are about their club. If they get more power there should be more accountability and if they get it wrong the onus should be one them to make sure the infraction/ban is overturned. The racism thread is a perfect example of the flaws with the way the forum is modded, mods showed up sporadically and handed out bans to posts which may or may not have deserved them but ignored the posts which were nothing more than attempts to bait posters, if they get more power they should at least have to review the whole situation before making a decision and not just base it on the reported post.

Suggestions I would have would be:

(1) an infraction for people who post something they know will drag a thread off topic, e.g. anytime Ashley Young dives if someone responds with a picture or comment of Drogba/Bale/Suarez it should be an infraction.

(2) Remove thanks from the forum, A lot of match threads end up with poster A posting a comment and a group of fans from the same club thanking it, then poster B responds and a group of fans from his club thank that and it goes back and forth dragging the thread off topic while they try to top each other. This reached a new low a week or two back when one poster made a 'controversial' comment about Hillsborough in an attempt to get a few thanks off some posters. The main downside to this will be threads will likely become cluttered with '+1' replies which is probably worse.

(3) Two match threads for each match, 1 for everyone and 1 just for supporters of the teams playing each other. For the most part the back and forth banter between posters from different teams is enjoyable during the match particularly if those posters are there during the whole match, the trouble comes from the influx of posters after a goal has been scored or around the final whistle just to wind people up, then posters feel the need to respond to them and everything descends into chaos. With two threads the supporters of the team playing have somewhere to continue posting without responding to those looking for a rise and they can return to the main thread after a while if they feel like it. Dunno how this would work out for big matches though because one thread is hard enough to police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Two match threads for each match, 1 for everyone and 1 just for supporters of the teams playing each other. For the most part the back and forth banter between posters from different teams is enjoyable during the match particularly if those posters are there during the whole match, the trouble comes from the influx of posters after a goal has been scored or around the final whistle just to wind people up, then posters feel the need to respond to them and everything descends into chaos. With two threads the supporters of the team playing have somewhere to continue posting without responding to those looking for a rise and they can return to the main thread after a while if they feel like it. Dunno how this would work out for big matches though because one thread is hard enough to police.
    I don't see any need for seperate match threads at all.It's good to have another opinion on an incident as it's quite easy to side with your own players on any controversial decisions.
    That would take a lot of fans of the teams that are playing out of the match threads.

Funny you should mention the part in bold as I've seen on numerous occasions people being pulled up on this even when they have been around from the start of matches.
    It happened to myself only last week in a match thread where I had at least 5 earlier posts in and I commented on a goal and somebody replied accusing me of only arriving then,even though I commented on both previous goals that their team scored,you yourself among plenty of others even thanked the post.

Rivals fans are always going to want to take the piss at others expense,if it's kept civil and in good taste then there shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Two match threads would be ridiculous IMO.

You need rival/other fans opinions, who wants to listen to the bias of your own clubs fans without someone offering an alternative opinion? You need fans with no connection to the clubs that are playing for un-biased opinion.

I don't mind opposition fans in match threads but then again i don't get all butt hurt by banter like a lot of people on here do.

Mods are always going to have an impossible job, all we can really expect from them is to be consistent in what they do.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Someone can just show up every week to troll the matchthreads

3 bans and it's 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Samich wrote: »
    3 bans and it's 6 months?

At just 13:59 today you saw a serial troller get another infraction. The ban system doesn't work unless its zero tolerance. How he's allowed to keep coming back trolling is beyond me.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    At just 13:59 today you saw a serial troller get another infraction. The ban system doesn't work unless its zero tolerance. How he's allowed to keep coming back trolling is beyond me.

Who's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A fan of each team become a mod to each superthread could be another idea.
    Wouldn't be long weeding out the wum posters who visit the superthreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Another thing that needs sorting out is the re-reg accounts.

#15 wrote: »

Not hard to get around that in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

#15 wrote: »

I see Corkman/RiseToTheTop is gone again :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

jaykay74 wrote: »

"Who is this Corkman??" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Been watching the forum the last few days. Of the suggestions we've had I thought the one about pre-moderating threads is a very good one and probably the only one easy to implement. It would have prevented the enevitable "Are Pep and Barca done".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

The true ruination of the soccer forum "is this is going to be good/popcorn" gifs. So frustrating to scroll through them, they add nothing to the discussion and you'll often find 1 or 2 clogging up the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its way too easy to troll the sh1t out of people in here.

6 infractions before you're banned is a joke of a system.

It should be

1st offence = Yellow
    2nd offence = Red
    3rd offence = Ban.

Its way too lenient in here and the place is awful to read. The match threads are a disaster because it takes forever for any action to be taken, if any action is taken. If people aren't happy with gtiing infractions/bans then they can take their case up in the dispute resolution forum. Thats what its there for.

Theres not enough mods in here either. I've only seen two mods do any sort of regular modding here since the beginning of the year. Maybe it might be an idea to look for mods outside the forum who have no club allegiances.

I don't think match threads are a problem. They are what they are! Their existence is important because it takes a lot of sh!te and trolling away from the club threads! Match threads are only ever going to be temporary so that's where the banter etc should go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its way too easy to troll the sh1t out of people in here.

6 infractions before you're banned is a joke of a system.

It should be

1st offence = Yellow
    2nd offence = Red
    3rd offence = Ban.

Its way too lenient in here and the place is awful to read. The match threads are a disaster because it takes forever for any action to be taken, if any action is taken. If people aren't happy with gtiing infractions/bans then they can take their case up in the dispute resolution forum. Thats what its there for.

Theres not enough mods in here either. I've only seen two mods do any sort of regular modding here since the beginning of the year. Maybe it might be an idea to look for mods outside the forum who have no club allegiances.

I would agree with that. In the last number of months I've only really seen mod action from Frisbee and Slick, the rare time from PHB. Maybe it's the threads I frequent or don't visit, but I've not seen anything from T4TF and I've not seen anything at all from Pyro. This is not an attack on those mods by any means, but an example of inactive modding or perceived inactive modding. Maybe they do their share away from the forum I don't know, but having two mods that are not as active as the others on the forum itself leads people to believe the mods aren't really doing much at all.

I'd also agree with the infraction/ban system Super-Rush suggested. While some may complain its far too strict, the current leniency has led some folks to get away with trolling/wumming for too long as they know they have a certain amount of infractions to go before they're banned.

It's ridiculously easy not to get an infraction. You have all the time it takes to type your post, possibly correct a few things and then click the submit button before posting. A "heat of the moment" type excuse is one of the most poor imaginable and quite frankly laughable due to the time you have to post your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jaykay74 wrote: »

I won't lie, I quite enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

daithijjj wrote: »
    The moderation of the forum has been a disgrace since last summer (in comparison to previous). The handling of match threads has been a joke, the handling of the Racism thread bordered on farce. The closure of that thread was made because 'people' could not be arsed to mod it. If you cant be arsed to mod, do everyone a favour and dont be a mod. Anyway, moving on.

I've already explained this in much depth. It has nothign to do with being lazy, whatsoever. And frankly, looking back on it, I think it was absolutely the right decision and most of the points raised by people about the possible side effects never came true.
    In previous years infractions were handled quickly, posters could see 'active' moderation, it was both a deterrent and prevented normally decent posters being dragged down to that level. That stopped last summer and this forum has suffered.

As someone who has been modding this forum in the past, I totally disagree and think this is just rose tinted specs.

One other small point. On match threads. I see no reason for match threads to go beyond 24hrs. The majority of 'banter' 2 hours after a match finishes is internet 'willy waving'. For me they should be closed within 24 hours and anything else after that should be allowed in a superthread.

Separation is key. Anyone who remembers the forum before match threads knows this. If you close the match thread, it'll be posted in the superthread. At least it localises the problem.

• Advertisement

Four Core Issues here for me:

Extra Mods

Personally, I'd love to have extra mods. Frankly though, it's extremely difficult to find anyone. We went through all the regular posters on this forum and most have been banned, or being close to being banned, or simply wouldn't.

Hopefully we'll get some movement in this area, but I'd prefer less good mods to more mods who cause trouble themselves.

Too Leniant

I think frankly, half the forum are so bloody sensitive about different opinions that they consider anyone who doesn't think exactly the same as them a troll. I read all the reported posts and half of them are complete bull****.

I would like to make it easier for mods to ban people. It's an absolute pain in the ass dealing with the PMs and the Feedback, which tends to take more time than the actual modding.

I would like some sort of gradiated banning system. 2 years leads to one week. 3 yellows leads to two weeks. 4 leads to one month. 5 Yellows Leads to 2 months. 6 Yellows leads to Permanent.

Match Threads

I think all the ideas suggested about the match threads are a bit nuts to be honest. Think the current separation and structure works.

Pre Moderation

Think it wouldn't work in practice due to the Superthreads. If you can't make a new thread people would just confine their discussions to super threads.

PHB wrote: »
    Extra Mods

Hopefully we'll get some movement in this area, but I'd prefer less good mods to more mods who cause trouble themselves.

It's harder to get new Mods that people think. We can't just add Mods. They need admin approval first. We've had a couple of names shot down in the past few weeks. We may have one Mod joining soon but I have a feeling they don't realy want the gig tbh. There's still one or two we're waiting to hear back on as well. Once we get the ok we can get more Mods in. I explained this in the OP and yet people seem to be ignoring it for some reason.
    Too Leniant

I think frankly, half the forum are so bloody sensitive about different opinions that they consider anyone who doesn't think exactly the same as them a troll. I read all the reported posts and half of them are complete bull****.

Exactly. The best is when someone gets in an argument with another poster and then trawls back through all their posts trying to find ones to report. It really is pathetic.

Also I've started being more strict with giving out bans for stuff I would have let go previously and the amount of PM's I'm getting has shot through the roof. It's pretty much as I said in the OP: "People want stricter moderation. Until it effects them and then all of a sudden we need to lighten up."

The speed of some of the 180's I've seen pulled in the last week is truly loltastic.

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's harder to get new Mods that people think. We can't just add Mods. They need admin approval first. We've had a couple of names shot down in the past few weeks. We may have one Mod joining soon but I have a feeling they don't realy want the gig tbh. There's still one or two we're waiting to hear back on as well. Once we get the ok we can get more Mods in. I explained this in the OP and yet people seem to be ignoring it for some reason.

Exactly. The best is when someone gets in an argument with another poster and then trawls back through all their posts trying to find ones to report. It really is pathetic.

Also I've started being more strict with giving out bans for stuff I would have let go previously and the amount of PM's I'm getting has shot through the roof. It's pretty much as I said in the OP: "People want stricter moderation. Until it effects them and then all of a sudden we need to lighten up."

The speed of some of the 180's I've seen pulled in the last week is truly loltastic.

This does my head in and i've been a victim of it!! Petty nonsense!

I've already explained this in much depth. It has nothign to do with being lazy, whatsoever. And frankly, looking back on it, I think it was absolutely the right decision and most of the points raised by people about the possible side effects never came true.

As someone who has been modding this forum in the past, I totally disagree and think this is just rose tinted specs.

Separation is key. Anyone who remembers the forum before match threads knows this. If you close the match thread, it'll be posted in the superthread. At least it localises the problem.

What you mean is, it was the right decision for yourself, not the right decision for the forum.

What do you mean by rose tinted specs?. Im a Liverpool fan and i gave examples in other teams match threads. United fans who post on the forum agreed, rose tinted?, thats complete nonsense. How can it be rose tinted if people like Des for example, a United fan agrees with me?. You seem to think theres some sort of agenda here when there isnt.

Who cares if theres a dribble of conversation in a superthread about a game 48 hours later?, really, who cares exactly?. Close a match thread 24 hours after the final whistle!!!, did anything decent ever get said in a match thread after this time?, not that ive ever read. Frankly, its a pathetic waste of a moderators time to be 'bolding' posts on a Monday (after a Saturday game) in a superthread warning about no game related posts, its moronic imho. Its not a "problem", who decided match related conversation 2 days after a match was a "problem". Whoever they are they are complete 'square'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why do the mods need to be regular soccer forum posters?

Why do they need to be soccer fans at all?

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why do the mods need to be regular soccer forum posters?

Why do they need to be soccer fans at all?

They don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would agree with that. In the last number of months I've only really seen mod action from Frisbee and Slick, the rare time from PHB. Maybe it's the threads I frequent or don't visit, but I've not seen anything from T4TF and I've not seen anything at all from Pyro. This is not an attack on those mods by any means, but an example of inactive modding or perceived inactive modding. Maybe they do their share away from the forum I don't know, but having two mods that are not as active as the others on the forum itself leads people to believe the mods aren't really doing much at all.

TBH if a mod is doing his/her job right and the forum is doing it's job right then there should be no need to see anything from a mod, they may be active members of the forum or read every post or just react to reported posts (although personally I do not feel a mod can function correctly by just acting on reported posts) but they are not superstars or famous people. We are not here to be seen about the place, that some are is not a problem, we are all different people and we deal with things differently. Some of us like to pm people who are causing trouble or try and pre-empt bans by nipping disruptive behaviour in the bud with a note dropped to a potential transgresor. Sometimes we like to make a notice more, well, noticeable so that the forum is aware of how they should behave or what type of behaviour is acceptable. As a group we are all fairly active and if we were ever worried about the activity of our fellow mods, there is a handy tool which tells us when we last logged on and also keeps a tally (or score if you will) on our modding activities. Having had a quick look through it there is nothing there to suggest that one or another of the mods are not pulling their weight. If you are not seeing a mod about the place, do not just assume that they are not putting a shift in or helping out with the forum, worry not, we regularly communicate on the soccer mods forum and we do try and co-ordinate cover for games that will make a mess of the forum where possible.
    I'd also agree with the infraction/ban system Super-Rush suggested. While some may complain its far too strict, the current leniency has led some folks to get away with trolling/wumming for too long as they know they have a certain amount of infractions to go before they're banned.

It's ridiculously easy not to get an infraction. You have all the time it takes to type your post, possibly correct a few things and then click the submit button before posting. A "heat of the moment" type excuse is one of the most poor imaginable and quite frankly laughable due to the time you have to post your reply.

As regards this, I would be more in favour of a staged banning much like PHB described above and something that we have been talking about in the soccer forum.

The persisitent trolling clause is something that we are trying to come fully to grips with too. We do not take lightly the perm-banning of a user and just because you may not like an opinion does not mean that the person who holds that view is a troll. They may even post a controversial decision and log out for the night thus not backing up their view and so people accuse of trolling (an offence that carries and will continue to carry an infraction) and all it might be is that they did not feel that it was a controversial view and went to bed. A lot of people want to immediately assume that a fan is trying to troll when they do not hold a similar view to them. They do not try and consider the other persons opinion and so just press the report post button. When this happens once or twice we will have a word, if we do not feel that there is anything malicious. We may even open a thread and discuss them on the soccer mods forum at this stage to get an idea what all of the other lads think. But we will never tale the decision to permanently ban a user lightly and so it will by necessity be a longer process than for example someone racking up a series of infractions and getting canned.

And always remember guys and gals, one mans banter can be the same mans trolling. I infracted a user recently for trolling. When they (inevitably) complained I pointed out some 14 or 15 posts that they had reported for exactly the same thing as they had done. Now as far as I was concerned it was fairly cut and dried but there was still some argument to be had, ultimately I had to refer them to the DRP route. They decided not to go the DRP route in that instance but that was just one infraction, one case where a fan wanted to do as I say, not as I do, or as has been said a lot, an "it's okay when I do it but not him" type of mentality. That probably took up an hour of my week. In that time I did not get to do much more than deal with that one infraction. Personally I do not feel that we need more mods although perhaps 1 more on the busy times would be useful. What we could do with is some more accepting community members. If you do something wrong, man up (or woman up depending on your gender). Ask yourself, would I complain about this if a rival fan posted it and if you would then do not be surprised if you receive an infraction for it.

Oh and I also hate these popcorn and michel jackson gifs that pop up all over. They add feck all to the forum bar in many occasions making a not great situation or a potentially bad situation into a worse one.

What you mean is, it was the right decision for yourself, not the right decision for the forum.

No. I mean it was the right decision for the forum. I think that was pretty clear from the post?
    What do you mean by rose tinted specs?. Im a Liverpool fan and i gave examples in other teams match threads. United fans who post on the forum agreed, rose tinted?, thats complete nonsense. How can it be rose tinted if people like Des for example, a United fan agrees with me?. You seem to think theres some sort of agenda here when there isnt.

Nope, this is a pretty good example of the accusation you're making infact being something you yourself are doing. This has nothing to do with what team you support. Rose-tinted, as in to see things with a pleasant view or memory. As I said, I've been on this forum for years and I haven't seen any massive change in the forum moderation. The biggest change has been the change in volume to be honest, way way more posts and posters.
    Who cares if theres a dribble of conversation in a superthread about a game 48 hours later?, really, who cares exactly?. Close a match thread 24 hours after the final whistle!!!, did anything decent ever get said in a match thread after this time?, not that ive ever read. Frankly, its a pathetic waste of a moderators time to be 'bolding' posts on a Monday (after a Saturday game) in a superthread warning about no game related posts, its moronic imho. Its not a "problem", who decided match related conversation 2 days after a match was a "problem". Whoever they are they are complete 'square'.

Yeah, frankly, I'd ask you to look back at the forum before the separation was implemented. It was infact in 2008, when you joined boards. I know this because I was the one who pushed for it the most. The benefit of it is absolutely ****ing huge and anyone who used to post reguarly before then will know what an absolute nightmare superthreads were after a game. If you think posters are sensitive about differing opinions in match threads, you should see what happens when you put the discussion into superthreads. It's an absolute mind**** and something that there's no benefit from.

Also, if you're talking about pathetic wastes of time for moderators, deleting countless posts in superthreads after the match thread has been closed due to the 24 hour time period would be about 100 times worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The bias shown in the forum is ridiculous. If anyone one speaks up against any of the well-supported EPL sides, they are castigated and rounded upon by the usual cliques. Then they go and thank each other 50 times labelling you a troll or whatever. It seems if you support Man U or whatever you are less likely to get a ban than if you supported God forbid Barcelona. Scrap the thanks option from the soocer forum would be a start.

No. I mean it was the right decision for the forum. I think that was pretty clear from the post?

Nope, this is a pretty good example of the accusation you're making infact being something you yourself are doing. This has nothing to do with what team you support. Rose-tinted, as in to see things with a pleasant view or memory. As I said, I've been on this forum for years and I haven't seen any massive change in the forum moderation. The biggest change has been the change in volume to be honest, way way more posts and posters.

Yeah, frankly, I'd ask you to look back at the forum before the separation was implemented. It was infact in 2008, when you joined boards. I know this because I was the one who pushed for it the most. The benefit of it is absolutely ****ing huge and anyone who used to post reguarly before then will know what an absolute nightmare superthreads were after a game. If you think posters are sensitive about differing opinions in match threads, you should see what happens when you put the discussion into superthreads. It's an absolute mind**** and something that there's no benefit from.

Also, if you're talking about pathetic wastes of time for moderators, deleting countless posts in superthreads after the match thread has been closed due to the 24 hour time period would be about 100 times worse.

It wasnt, it was the right decision for anyone who could not be arsed to mod the thread, end of.

If you havent seen any massive change in the moderation this year, to the last 3 years, it tells me you dont spend much time around the place. No offence, the last 10 months have been a shambles by comparison. The perceived moderation to me has gone 'part time'. Nobody around for days, either that or ye are asleep.

Im sorry, but i was here when this rule came in about match talk in superthreads, i was here previous and after. Its a draconian rule to be place in a soccer forum.

It wouldnt be 100 times worse because posting in the suprerthread would be allowed after the match thread was closed, you wouldnt have to bother yourself with it. Would give the mods more time to concentrate on the ever increasing amount of clowns in the forum who can carry on for hours or days without anyone doing a tap about it.

It wasnt, it was the right decision for anyone who could not be arsed to mod the thread, end of.

Yeah, as I already said, I didn't mind modding the thread. I minded that I would have banned most of the posters on the forum if the thread continued, as I said extensively in the feedback thread.
    If you havent seen any massive change in the moderation this year, to the last 3 years, it tells me you dont spend much time around the place. No offence, the last 10 months have been a shambles by comparison. The perceived moderation to me has gone 'part time'. Nobody around for days, either that or ye are asleep.

A. That used to happen in the past also.
    B. Part of this is a result of not enough mods, which everyone agrees is a problem, not a soul is disagreeing with.

C. What I disagreed with was this:
    In previous years infractions were handled quickly, posters could see 'active' moderation, it was both a deterrent and prevented normally decent posters being dragged down to that level. That stopped last summer and this forum has suffered.

Which I think is just wrong.
    Im sorry, but i was here when this rule came in about match talk in superthreads, i was here previous and after. Its a draconian rule to be place in a soccer forum.

The rule is of great severity? I suppose. Rules tend to be, ya know, severe.

Yeah, as I already said, I didn't mind modding the thread. I minded that I would have banned most of the posters on the forum if the thread continued, as I said extensively in the feedback thread.

A. That used to happen in the past also.
    B. Part of this is a result of not enough mods, which everyone agrees is a problem, not a soul is disagreeing with.

C. What I disagreed with was this:

Which I think is just wrong.

The rule is of great severity? I suppose. Rules tend to be, ya know, severe.

The point is, of course, is that most of the nonsense went on because there was nothing done. Its the mods that are supposed to look after it. The solution you give above is like a bad tackle going in, a player reacting, a dozen others pile in, and at the end of it, you hand out no cards and call the game off. No sense, just laziness.

The point about swift action is absolutely true.

Draconian in this sense is meant as severe on the forum, not on individuals. What eegit is going to moan about game talk in a superthread 2 days after the event?. You are putting a rule in place that isnt a problem. If i look in the Liverpool/United Superthread right now will the last few pages be about today's games or will there be no mention? the rule is no match talk right?, its a ludicrous rule and putting it right means mods dont have to bother their hole looking after it. Its football chat in a football forum and it is Draconian to even be in place.

The point is, of course, is that most of the nonsense went on because there was nothing done. Its the mods that are supposed to look after it. The solution you give above is like a bad tackle going in, a player reacting, a dozen others pile in, and at the end of it, you hand out no cards and call the game off. No sense, just laziness.

I have sat this conversation between you and PHB out but I have to speak up now. To say that there was nothing done is ignorant of the facts of the issue. There were 60 moderator actions on that thread that were not infractions. There were hundreds of reported posts and they were before the new Dashboard that the admins recently implemented which would have made the moderation of the thread in some part a bit easier. Looking back at it there were many infractions given out in that thread. They were for many things and nobody was in anyway immune to it. It is a very emotive topic and people posted in a very emotional fashion, if we had left that thread and people continued to ignore the moderator warnings (seems that the mods were very visible in that thread TBH, the whole thread was called ... READ THIS FIRST) then we would have had a forum with three people in it. Do not mistake tolerance for lack of presence. We understand that it is tough to be calm in these situations, we did allow people some rope, unfortunately we ended up seeing many regular posters hanging from lightbulbs and so we decided as a group to close the thread.

I suppose it is very easy for you to wave around laziness as the reason that the thread was closed but I can tell you now that you are deluding yourself and you are about as wrong as any single person has been on the internet.

I have sat this conversation between you and PHB out but I have to speak up now. To say that there was nothing done is ignorant of the facts of the issue. There were 60 moderator actions on that thread that were not infractions. There were hundreds of reported posts and they were before the new Dashboard that the admins recently implemented which would have made the moderation of the thread in some part a bit easier. Looking back at it there were many infractions given out in that thread. They were for many things and nobody was in anyway immune to it. It is a very emotive topic and people posted in a very emotional fashion, if we had left that thread and people continued to ignore the moderator warnings (seems that the mods were very visible in that thread TBH, the whole thread was called ... READ THIS FIRST) then we would have had a forum with three people in it. Do not mistake tolerance for lack of presence. We understand that it is tough to be calm in these situations, we did allow people some rope, unfortunately we ended up seeing many regular posters hanging from lightbulbs and so we decided as a group to close the thread.

I suppose it is very easy for you to wave around laziness as the reason that the thread was closed but I can tell you now that you are deluding yourself and you are about as wrong as any single person has been on the internet.

Thanks for the comment, where were you 4 months ago when this was brought up in feedback?. PHB was the only soccer mod to make any contribution, mods from unrelated forums posted in it.

I stand by everything i said, the feedback thread is there for people to read, former mods of the soccer forum have agreed with my sentiments.

Anyway, lets move on.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comment, where were you 4 months ago when this was brought up in feedback?. PHB was the only soccer mod to make any contribution, mods from unrelated forums posted in it.

I stand by everything i said, the feedback thread is there for people to read, former mods of the soccer forum have agreed with my sentiments.

Anyway, lets move on.
    Just because someone agrees with you does not mean you are right. A lot of people agree with L. Ron Hubbard, that does not mean that we all have past lives as clams. You can feel free to stand by whatever you like too. Again it does not make you any more right.

Just because someone agrees with you does not mean you are right. A lot of people agree with L. Ron Hubbard, that does not mean that we all have past lives as clams. You can feel free to stand by whatever you like too. Again it does not make you any more right.

Quite an anecdote.

Im neither right nor wrong, other people can decide for themselves and give their opinion, use the feedback to better the forum. When 2 former soccer mods are among others to agree with the points being raised i think the current mods should at least make an effort to take it on board. PHB explained what happened then, others took the explanation to task off their own back. I started the thread partially because i thought the modding of the forum was sh1te this year. Im confident plenty agree.

Quite an anecdote.

Im neither right nor wrong, other people can decide for themselves and give their opinion, use the feedback to better the forum. When 2 former soccer mods are among others to agree with the points being raised i think the current mods should at least make an effort to take it on board. PHB explained what happened then, others took the explanation to task off their own back. I started the thread partially because i thought the modding of the forum was sh1te this year. Im confident plenty agree.

You confuse me disagreeing with people with taking points on board. We took them on board, understood them, disagreed with them, and decided a different way.

You confuse me disagreeing with people with taking points on board. We took them on board, understood them, disagreed with them, and decided a different way.

No confusion here. Imo your decisions were the wrong ones, ones that suited you and not the forum, to the detriment of the forum. Again, people can make their own mind up.

At the end of the day, you made the decision to stop discussion of a hugely important topic, in effect you decided to 'punish' the entire forum instead of the people who could not keep their wits about them. There were plenty who could keep their heads. Thats poor moderation of a forum. The banning system is there for a reason, use it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You are, of course, correct but there isn't a chance in hell of individual mods ever being granted autonomy in that regard.

Something that should happen (if it hasn't already) is a pre planning thread in the soccer mod forum dedicated to working out coverage ahead of time. Fixtures are known weeks in advance (at minimum), and there really should be a running calendar where mods offer their availabilty during big matches and for the couple of hour aftermath.

I realise this will be an unpopular idea to some - 'but mods are volunteers!' - but it is inexcusable for big match threads to occur with zero coverage for hours. If the mod team finds that they are consistently failing to provide coverage for big match threads, then more are obviously required.

Obviously certain announcements mean troublesome threads and they cannot be anticipated ahead of time (Managerial sackings / player transfers / etc), but events that require coverage and are signposted well in advance really should have a mod on sight.

Yeah, I'm going to be really blunt here, I'm not doing that. To be really honest, this is a volunteer job. We do it because we're helping out. It's impossible to find people who are able to do it as we've found. We'll sort it out so there's someone here for the the big games, i.e. anything involving United and Liverpool at the same time, but the idea of a rota to watch stuff just isn't really going to work.

I don't work for boards. I don't intend on it. If you ever want to see something like this happening, I suggest you get onto the admins and tell them they need to hire someone professionally.Until then, you'll never find anyone who the admins will actually want to do it willing to do it.

A team of volunteers will always have gaps. Hopefully more volunteers means less gaps, but that's about the extent of it.

I said it yesterday but may as well put it here. The people who go around biting on every single thing and calling people trolls should be treated as harshly as the trolls themselves. This is how threads get derailed. One inflammatory post and then 30 posts of "You are obsessed", "You are trolling", "Typical post from someone who hates *insert football team here*". Either argue against the point and disprove it, report it or ignore it. It's easy to ignore one trolling post but when there is pages of people contributing nothing more than calling somebody out as a troll or bitter the thread becomes impossible to navigate.

Basically, if the mods are going to crack down on trolling, then they should also crack down on those who can't help but bite. Most of the members can restrain themselves but it's always the same names giving the WUMs ammunition. There will always be people looking for a reaction on a forum like this but the people who react are not helping the mods at all to do their job.

Anyway, I haven't been here long but I thought I may as well give my tuppence worth.

I like this idea. I'm not sure how to implement it, but I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Spot On
    Is it possible to cut out the multiple account holders? This would cut out WUMS/Trolls. Instead of needing fifty posts to access the soccer forum, maybe a donation or a small payment for access could be imposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Instead of needing fifty posts to access the soccer forum, maybe a donation or a small payment for access could be imposed.

I entirely disagree with this. Paying to access the Soccer forum just seems wrong. It'll cull a lot of members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Spot On
    DB21 wrote: »
    I entirely disagree with this. Paying to access the Soccer forum just seems wrong. It'll cull a lot of members.

No payment then, just a registration of a card or I.d
    It's just a suggestion

• Advertisement

I would like some sort of gradiated banning system. 2 years leads to one week. 3 yellows leads to two weeks. 4 leads to one month. 5 Yellows Leads to 2 months. 6 Yellows leads to Permanent.

I like that idea but if we're going to get strict let's do it properly.

1st Yellow - 1 month
    2nd Yellow - 2 months
    3rd Yellow - 3 Months
    4th Yellow - 6 Months

Red - 3 months

Each yellow counts as one point and each red counts as 2, so the same as we have it now. But let's reduce you're allowed amount of points before a 6 month ban from 6 to 4. Then if you pick up one yellow within 6 months of coming back from a 6 month ban you get permabanned.

That means any user who gets 4 yellows or a red and and 2 yellows or two reds is gone from the forum for 6 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement