Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horn of car

• 16-04-2012 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

What is the horn of your car (no pun intended!) for?!?

This just got me thinking, I mean what do you (if you're a driver) use it for, or do you even use it at all?

Yes, I'm aware some people use it to "say hello" to people they know, but does anyone actually use it for anything else?

I'm asking because, I was in the car with my mother recently, we were at a round-a-bout, and a driver who quite clearly didn't know which way they were going, stopped half way through, as my mothers irritation boiled, i hit the horn - they soon decided which way to go. Is it not common sense to think before turning onto a round-a-bout? So, what do you people of Ah (who drive) use your horn for? Is it okay/acceptable to use it to "encourage a fellow driver to move along" or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Riveting

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

dave3004 wrote: »
    Riveting

:rolleyes: Did mummy not give you enough attention as a kid, that you somehow had to join the trolling community!? ;) Seriously though, this is AH, i'm used to this kind of crap - just wasn't expecting the first reply to be such a dim-witted kid!

Can we not have some, semi-serious questions in ah!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I use it to get the get the cattle moving in front of me when we're changing them to a different field

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I suppose there is a horn there to alarm oblivious others that they are in danger.

This thread should have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I beeped a kid during my driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at anytime, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road.

A horn should not be used on a moving vehicle on a restricted road (basically a road that has street lights and a 30mph limit) between the times of 2330hrs and 0700hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...but can i use it to move cattle? How about sheep?
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    were you marked down for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I dont have a horn

dont have a car :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pherekydes wrote: »
    were you marked down for that?

Tester never said anything about it and I passed first time, so...

I also overtook a tractor and exceeded the speed limit. The key to passing the test is to show you are in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have a horn right now, shall I go on?.

• Advertisement

There is no law specifically mentioning animals but I would take it that unless you were warning other road users about immediate danger posed by the animals that you can't.
    If youre in a field im not sure what rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Ya but I bet you don't slap it around if you get annoyed in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Mods please correct the thread title ... off not of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

lisaface wrote: »

For scaring away drunks/skangers wandering all over the road.
    Then I like to look at them gone crazy and shouting abuse as I drive away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

Is it acceptable to warn people that they might be causing a hazard to others, e.g. due to stopping on a roundabout and looking around with their jaw slung open?

There's a fine line between danger and annoyance. Most of the drivers who cause me to lean on the horn have not just annoyed me, but have caused a dangerous situation, in which there could have been a collision had I not been paying attention. Like if you have to brake for some fcuker who's pulled out in front of you on a roundabout because he's chancing his arm, reckoning you'll stop, that's a good enough reason for an oul' blast, would you not agree?

fricatus wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to warn people that they might be causing a hazard to others, e.g. due to stopping on a roundabout and looking around with their jaw slung open?

There's a fine line between danger and annoyance. Most of the drivers who cause me to lean on the horn have not just annoyed me, but have caused a dangerous situation, in which there could have been a collision had I not been paying attention. Like if you have to brake for some fcuker who's pulled out in front of you on a roundabout because he's chancing his arm, reckoning you'll stop, that's a good enough reason for an oul' blast, would you not agree?
    Legally it should be immediate danger. Not possible risk due to bad driving.

Personally I blast the horn at idiots when I deem it warranted. But that's the law.

I love when someone does something stupid but thinks I'm in the wrong and blasts the horn. I beep softly and wave at them.:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

lisaface wrote: »

What pun?

:confused: room for a possible sexual innuendo, yes.. pun, no :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To stop people in f**kers from merging into my car, ie; going into the lane to their right without even looking right, as I'm level with their car, but they put the indicator on and start to ease into the lane that I'm in.

Holy crap, this has happened more than one time. If it happened any more, I'd carry eggs to pelt at their window, as the horn doesn't seem to notify them that they're going to cause a crash into me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Did I read that right?

You were the passenger and you beeped the horn?

That's not the way it is supposed to be used anyway ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I use it in the following situations

*when driving away from a house where people are at the door to wave me off
    *when some fool overtakes in a dangerous situation and is coming right at me on the wrong side of the road - well, any occasion where some fool nearly causes an accident really
    *when some muppet is busy texting/fiddling with the radio/fixing their hair etc and doesn't cop the lights have gone green. If they have an L plate I don't beep cos they might have stalled. If they don't I give them a wee beep to remind them to move their asses before the lights change.

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    I use it in the following situations

*when driving away from a house where people are at the door to wave me off
    *when some fool overtakes in a dangerous situation and is coming right at me on the wrong side of the road - well, any occasion where some fool nearly causes an accident really
    *when some muppet is busy texting/fiddling with the radio/fixing their hair etc and doesn't cop the lights have gone green. If they have an L plate I don't beep cos they might have stalled. If they don't I give them a wee beep to remind them to move their asses before the lights change.
    Do you beep at people to warn them for using their horn unnecessarily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I use it for impromptu raves

That's about it.

Sometimes it's also useful to get a stranger to turn around so you can get a better look at them as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Car horns should be treated with great respect because, for generations, they performed the role of essential tools of communication in Ireland, where actually talking to members of the opposite.….you know…..that short word we were not supposed to use…..was frowned upon, unless with a view to marriage. The NCT’s attention to car horns is based on its ability to convey several complex messages, including but not limited to expressions or enquiries such as WTF, GTFO, etc. Local variations exist, some of which I have taken the time to list below. You’re welcome.

In Culchieville, you could (and still can) use your horn to:
    • Tell a joke. Whenever a car horn was heard, you could (and can still) see Culchies bursting into spontaneous laughter. Your sense of humour could be measured and assessed by the phrasing and accent of your beeping.
    • Announce a wedding, christening or Gehhh win. Beeping cars have big red and orange faces of all ages rubber-necking at pedestrians.

Outside Culchieville, you could (and still can) use your horn to:
    • Advertise your stock of illicit pharmaceuticals to your clientele with facial hardware and baseball hats on sideways.
    • Say “au revoir” as you drive away from the leather-skirted wan with orange legs and flappy-paddle eyelashes who has just climbed out of the back of your car.

Universal (Culchie and non-Culchie)
    • Install a cheap novelty car horn into your 19 year-old Mitsubishi import and use as a mating call. Then marvel as it’s aphrodisiac tones work their way into the pleasure centres of the leather-skirted wans with orange legs and flappy-paddle eyelashes. The one-off expense of purchase and installation of a novelty car horn has financial advantages over the pay-as-you-go approach above but, of course, the years of consistanly bestowing mirth and hilarity on those whose pleasure centres remain unaffected by the novelty car horn has its own rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I mainly use it for summoning prostitutes to the car, then i drive them to a quiet area, bang them in the back seat then beat them and take all their money

sometimes i think i play too much Grand Theft Auto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never have to use it but I do like to check its function in town at least once a day in case I need to use it at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

My horn is a car

Too bad it's a MINI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

kincsem wrote: »
    Mods please correct the thread title ... off not of.

Beepppp

OK a horn shouldn't be used to express annoyance at grammar nazis.

44leto wrote: »
    Beepppp

OK a horn shouldn't be used to express annoyance at grammar nazis.
    Actually of is correct :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

If the local GAA team wins, we do what is scientifically known as ''the beeps''. A lap of the town, while everyone hangs out the windows and beeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Wait, wtf is this thread about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I use my car's horn for everything, the length of the beep is the important differential.

Short beep to let someone know the light has gone green if they're not paying attention

A few short beeps to say hello to someone

A long beep means the person in front of me is a moron who can't drive and has done something wrong. Usually combined with flashing headlights and hand gestures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wait, wtf is this thread about?

what is acceptable, and what isnt, when using your horn in your car

dont play with it in traffic, but using it to scare kids off the road is ok, for example

/innuendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Wen i is drivin down de road i uses my horn to toot all de lovely ladies. specially in de sunshine.

Actually of is correct :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL
    Is there anything more embarrassing for a grammar nazi then getting a correction wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Narrow country road, beep at a bend so someone coming against you knows your there.

• Advertisement

LOL
    Is there anything more embarrassing for a grammar nazi then getting a correction wrong.
    Me or him?
    Horn of the car refers to possession i.e. the car's horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its for letting sleeping drivers know that the light has changed to green.

Its for letting idiot drivers who enter the yellow box when their exit is blocked and the lights change and the idiot driver is now blocking the whole junction, know just what a complete knob end they are.

Its for alerting idiot drivers who decide to change lane on dual carriageways/motorways without indication and just as your coming along their outside.

Generally its to alert those who should never have been given a driving licence in the first place to just how much of a nuisance and/or danger they are on the roads.

On a side note: the turks get great value for money from their horns, they use them incessantly on every journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

LOL
    Me or him?

Lol loving the paranoia!

I was (sadly) (very sadly) thinking a few days ago of a thread on the use of car hornage. I'm not sure how common it is, but on the road from Allenwood to Kildare theres a few humpback bridges over the canals there. One in particular has roads joining the main road at the bridge and a big sign (for users of the main road) says something like 'Caution: Sound Horn as Warning' when your going over.

Ive used this road many times, never sounding off, and never hearing it sounded from others. Is this sound? Or is it perhaps an offence? Could a Garda someday sit there with a dictaphone amassing evidence of those who refuse to blow?

Me or him?

Sorry him, not you.

Sorry him, not you.
    Oh thank god! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

beeping at men's "horns" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Just minutes after sheep were mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I changed my car recently and my new horn is lame. It's actually kinda embarrassing. Even the sheep laugh at me when I beep them to move out of the road :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

I sure you can get someone to look at it, and maybe give some advice, if you find you're suffering from a weak horn

Advertisement