Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The girl I work with is making me not want to go in anymore!

Options
  • 16-04-2012 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I work in sales.. I have worked for the same v prominent company for the past six years now... I always worked in Dublin on the likes of Grafton st and then I met a Limerick man, fell in love and transferred..

Things started off ok in my new shop, got on with everyone, a little quieter than I was used to but I got to help customers out more so I didn't mind much...

Three weeks after I started, one of the lads got his friend from a competitor a job with us... Things were fine at the start, seemed lovely but slowly she turned into a demon... She refuses to help customers pick something out for themselves, because she doesn't want to be blamed if it's faulty.. She will not help the elderly without making them feel silly, we get at least one complaint a week about her and because we are NPSed for half of our commission she is also affecting our wages. She was on probation for 6 months, passed it and since has become even more of a nightmare.. One day she casually announced that she had had a threesome with her friend in our shop, hits on customers, got a Garda to write off a fine for no tax
    The last straw for me was when a customer came in to buy something last week. This person had been in the local papers for solicitation and stuff, and while I was serving her, the girl I work with blatantly came over and set a bottle of hand sanitiser in front of me while she was standing there.. I have never been so angry in my life, I felt so sorry for the customer.. Afterwards I called her on it and she called me soft... I still can't stop thinking about it.. I don't know what to do because my manager is not in a position to fire her..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Shes passed probation so she must be ok in they eyes of the boss. She must be making a dew sales so she can't be that bad at her job.
    You were dealing with a known ho, she was right to pass you the hand cleaner you should have had a giggle about it later rather than get the hump. Its sounds more like a clash of personalities more than anything else, would be worth sitting down or going out together and see can ye find some common ground so you can work happly together.
    You should have her back when dealing with the public and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Shes passed probation so she must be ok in they eyes of the boss. She must be making a dew sales so she can't be that bad at her job.
    You were dealing with a known ho, she was right to pass you the hand cleaner you should have had a giggle about it later rather than get the hump. Its sounds more like a clash of personalities more than anything else, would be worth sitting down or going out together and see can ye find some common ground so you can work happly together.
    You should have her back when dealing with the public and visa versa.

I spend most of my days apologising to customers for the mess she makes, the wrong information that she gives customers because she just doesn't want to help them...

There is a service element to this job, and it is in no way nice or funny to discriminate or make little of anyone... She's hit on every person that works here, including a guy who has a fiance and a kid that she knows of, she will not help anyone that she would not "associate with".. She is just so incredibly rude...
    On top of that, she will not learn anything to do with the role, like cashing the till etc because she says she will forget it all anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Obvious suggestion is make a note of all complaints about her from now on and give them to your boss. If there us as many as it sounds like he'd be a moron to at least not have a word with her.

i feel your pain though i have worked in places where my co-workers seemed to go out of their way to make my job harder. IMHO you might just have to ride this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't know what to do because my manager is not in a position to fire her..

Ahh, why exactly? From what you've said, there should be plenty of reasons.

If, OTOH, your manager just won't do it, then I think you need to find a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I work in sales.. I have worked for the same v prominent company for the past six years now... I always worked in Dublin on the likes of Grafton st and then I met a Limerick man, fell in love and transferred..

Things started off ok in my new shop, got on with everyone, a little quieter than I was used to but I got to help customers out more so I didn't mind much...

Three weeks after I started, one of the lads got his friend from a competitor a job with us... Things were fine at the start, seemed lovely but slowly she turned into a demon... She refuses to help customers pick something out for themselves, because she doesn't want to be blamed if it's faulty.. She will not help the elderly without making them feel silly, we get at least one complaint a week about her and because we are NPSed for half of our commission she is also affecting our wages. She was on probation for 6 months, passed it and since has become even more of a nightmare.. One day she casually announced that she had had a threesome with her friend in our shop, hits on customers, got a Garda to write off a fine for no tax
    The last straw for me was when a customer came in to buy something last week. This person had been in the local papers for solicitation and stuff, and while I was serving her, the girl I work with blatantly came over and set a bottle of hand sanitiser in front of me while she was standing there.. I have never been so angry in my life, I felt so sorry for the customer.. Afterwards I called her on it and she called me soft... I still can't stop thinking about it.. I don't know what to do because my manager is not in a position to fire her..

Any ideas?

This is a performance related issue and very clear your manager can and will deal with this! or should I might add

She is driving business out the door with negative attitude and refuses to make a sale because she concerns that she'll be forced to deal with a problem if it comes back to her!! Not only that she is creating a negative attitude among her team mates and driving your income down

Your manager should be driving a strong motivated, results driven environment in line with company expectation he/she should be doing there job managing the good performance but also the poor! I would suggest you speak to your manager highlighting your concerns (document it including the conversation with your manager) if nothing is done about it I would not have any issue to there boss!

She doesn't give a fcuk about you why should you care about her report her behavior! She was getting paid on company time while having some very personal time in work..... sackable offence if it can be proved! or admits to it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

ziedth wrote: »
    Obvious suggestion is make a note of all complaints about her from now on and give them to your boss. If there us as many as it sounds like he'd be a moron to at least not have a word with her.

i feel your pain though i have worked in places where my co-workers seemed to go out of their way to make my job harder. IMHO you might just have to ride this out.

Youd be very very very surprised.
    I worked with a guy who used to **** up on an hourly basis!
    Raised it with the boss and the boss just made excuses.
    1 year later hes still there ****ing up all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

go to the manager again and explain whats going on!!if u get no joy keep a log the date and time of everything she says and does wrong beleive me if its a small business the manager should know whats going on.... i work in retail myself and if i treated customers the way she does id be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ziedth wrote: »
    If there us as many as it sounds like he'd be a moron to at least not have a word with her.

It's amazing how far some people will let a situation develop before they'll have that word. A large part of management can be having awkward conversations with staff, and some people just hate doing it and keep putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Eoin wrote: »
    It's amazing how far some people will let a situation develop before they'll have that word. A large part of management can be having awkward conversations with staff, and some people just hate doing it and keep putting it off.

Very true, the old "head in the sand" routine is very very common in workplaces, and particularly when it comes to women. Women can claim all kinds of emotional problems or difficulties to justify their behavior and a lot of managers wont even go there so any complaints against women are ignored or just dismissed as the manager hopes it will all go away rather than risking libel or complaints.

For example, in my workplace, my manager will come right down on men in the group who are a bit late after lunch, make an error in paperwork etc and also if a woman complains to the manager about a man in the group, he is right down on you like a tonne of bricks whereas (and there have been a few) if a complaint is made about the actions of the women (who can be slow to work with, nasty, poor timekeepers etc) he just shuffles his feet and looks at the floor with a comment like "Ah sure she was probably having a bad day, her kid is sick etc", makes me mad how much women can get away with and how downright cowardly some managers are.

My advice to the OP is maybe get a fellow workmate to add to this list of wrongdoings by her or at least support your list, two people are harder to ignore and maybe he will take notice, good luck.

Advertisement