Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guys selling tapes on O'Connell Street

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

There used to be a couple of guys on O'Connell Bridge who sold cassette tapes which were bootleg live recordings of gigs.

The inserts were usually cheap fluorescent paper with handwritten details & badly photocopied artwork. If you were really lucky, you might have got one which was done on a typewriter.

Anyway, they were mostly of live gigs that happened in Dublin, sometimes desperate sound, sometimes direct from the soundboard.

As time went on, these tapes became CDs with better artwork, sound & production values & sometimes (in the case of U2 for example) became series of releases.

The beauty of it was though if you were at a gig, you could generally get a recording of it the following week on the bridge for a couple of quid.

Does anyone know of a modern MP3 equivalent of such a thing. please note, I would be most upset & probably unable to eat my lunch if anyone was to PM me a site where to get Irish gigs in particular.

I was at the Barretstown gig a couple of weeks ago & saw the highlights show last night on TV which unfortunately due to timing & the bizarre decision to put an adbreak after every sone in a one hour spot, only featured a single song from each artist who performed & didn't even give the whole song for some. I'd love to get a recording of this gig & can't seem to find one anywhere, not that I'd be looking, it's be too upsetting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Try here http://archive.org/index.php there's a large amount of live performances uploaded to the archive, some acts are "taper friendly" so there's no issue with copyright.

Taper friendly list here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

smokedeels wrote: »
    some acts are "taper friendly" so there's no issue with copyright.

I don't know if it's a copyright issue, a live performance of a piece of music isn't copyrighted unless it's recorded and copyrighted as an official live recording, right? Like the way an album is copyrighted as a specific studio recording, not just the concept and notes of the song.

That's why something like a studio recording's copyright can go out of date until it's renewed, but you can't just legally download hudred year old classical stuff because it's the particular recording of the music that's copyrighted, not the actual notes.

Taper-unfriendly acts, as far as I know, don't have a legal copyright argument to protect their shows from recording, it's just they mightn't want their stuff recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It depends on the act. If the band has a decent fan community, you'll also find those willing to trade shows and mp3s. Not sure if they'll be specific gigs, maybe just what's there.

Also people often upload footage from gigs on youtube and you can rip the audio yourself if its decent.

Other bands do it themselves and charge you to download each gig; I think Pearl Jam make every show they do available on their website for a short while.

But the days of the photocopy cover dodgy tape are gone my friend! I bought many of them in my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I remember I used to get bootlegs like this in a shop called Rhythm Records just down the road from the big Virgin Megastore* in Dublin around the year 2000 or so. It was on a corner and is now a ladbrokes

*What a shop back in its day too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Virgin Megastore

I got Grand Theft Auto 3 there. \m/ \m/ \m/ WHEN I WAS SIXTEEN \m/ \m/ \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

That guy on O'Connell Bridge sold me a dodgy quality New Order live at the SFX tape in 1986, anyone know where he is I'm still looking for a refund, he hadn't used Dolby (£2.50 in old money)?

rcaz wrote: »
    I don't know if it's a copyright issue, a live performance of a piece of music isn't copyrighted unless it's recorded and copyrighted as an official live recording, right? Like the way an album is copyrighted as a specific studio recording, not just the concept and notes of the song.

That's why something like a studio recording's copyright can go out of date until it's renewed, but you can't just legally download hudred year old classical stuff because it's the particular recording of the music that's copyrighted, not the actual notes.

The whole thing seems to be one big gray area, I did a few searches online and found examples of several court cases in America taken out against tapers by bands/labels, with rulings in both directions.

To confuse things even more I found this line of legal wording "when a composer puts a new song in a "fixed form", for example sheet music or an audio recording, copyright law grants them the exclusive right to control who may perform that song"

I always thought it was fine to cover any song as long as you don't try to sell it for profit, but that suggests you can't :confused:

I reckon the easiest way to think of the entire thing is....

Q: Are you going to make money from somebodies work, or stop them from getting paid?

A: No

Q: Then it's cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

am i allowed say dimeadozen?

am i allowed say dimeadozen?

Websites like that are a dime a d..... I can't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

A lot of bands are okay with it. Most, nowadays, I'd say.

Up until fairly recently, Arcade Fire actively encouraged it so long as you didn't hassle their soundboard people, and one of the band used to help out with the torrent tracker.

Basically, your best bet is to go to individual fan communities.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smokedeels wrote: »
    The whole thing seems to be one big gray area, I did a few searches online and found examples of several court cases in America taken out against tapers by bands/labels, with rulings in both directions.

To confuse things even more I found this line of legal wording "when a composer puts a new song in a "fixed form", for example sheet music or an audio recording, copyright law grants them the exclusive right to control who may perform that song"

I always thought it was fine to cover any song as long as you don't try to sell it for profit, but that suggests you can't :confused:

I reckon the easiest way to think of the entire thing is....

Q: Are you going to make money from somebodies work, or stop them from getting paid?

A: No

Q: Then it's cool

I wish that was enforced so it might stop the scourge that are cover bands.

The diet coke/light mayonaise of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

lordgoat wrote: »
    I wish that was enforced so it might stop the scourge that are cover bands.

The diet coke/light mayonaise of music.

provocative statement for another thread. And just an opinion, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

I have a box of these in the attic. Was holding onto them for posterity & to play to the kids when they get older. Realised the other day we haven't had a cassette player in the house for about five years :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

This is another nice site if you like older music. It's Bill Graham's old vaults and they're legal
    http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concerts/

Advertisement