Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any place where I could go and work with my laptop for 2 hours?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to do some work on my laptop, in next few months, but cant do that at home as it is noisy etc.

It would be 2-3 times a week, around 2 hours.

btw.I am not a student in Galway.

Any recommendations? I was thinking about GMIT or public libraries?

And there need to be internet wireless.

Thank you !

Comments

I believe Javas provides WiFi? Though I'm not entirely sure about that, but I know I have seen many people in there with laptops. They most certainly wouldn't mind you staying there for 2 hours, provided you'd get a coffee every now-and-then. Perhaps one of the few places that do.

You wouldn't be able to use either NUIG's or GMIT's wireless network without having login details of students or a member of faculty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to head down to a pub for an hour or two, if you get a few coffees and lunch they usually don't mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

The Library used to have WiFi if you ask them for the password.. And it's a (fairly) quiet place to work. They even had some desks set up. Not sure if they still do though, I haven't been there in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I know the public library in Westside (and presumably the others in Galway city) have wi-fi. If you join the library (only 2 euro or so to join) it is free.

Edit: Once you join any library in galway you have access to all of them in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An Tobar Nua on Lower Dominick Street has free wifi, free coffee refills and a quiet room down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on the time of day: many cafes won't want you occupying a table for 2 horus over lunchtime. Lynch's is probably one of the few that's big enough for you to get away with it then, and I don't think they have wi-fi.

Pubs may be better, provided you keep the buying coffee/juice/whatever. McSwiggans and Massimos definitely have wi-fi ... lots of others too.

The public library is free, too, but you cannot eat/drink, and have to hang out with the other folks who spend hours in there each day. 'Nuff said.

An internet cafe might be an alternative: when Chat'er'Net were in Mary St, they had a laptop area. Not sure if any of the current ones do. ('cos I've got mobile b/band).

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Google wifi finder...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

totally guessing but a hotel- Radisson etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

you shoukld be ok in a library. not sure what facility with wifi they have but the central one on AUgustine st has loads of lovely chairs in and you do see people in there with laptops. Seems to be quite a bit of competition over deskspace with schoolkids though.

Was just thinking that Citylink and other bus companies advertise wifi, probably not much use to you since it would involve travel. But weren't they talking about introducing wifi on some of the new bus services across the city? Might be as economic to get a town bus pass as keep getting coffees? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

JustMary wrote: »
    The public library is free, too, but you cannot eat/drink, and have to hang out with the other folks who spend hours in there each day. 'Nuff said.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The meyrick on the square is great (i do realise expensive tea an stuf) but they have great wifi and point you towards plugs to charge your labtop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

091 Labs are now doing co-working mornings (for your exact purpose) :)
    http://091labs.com/2012/04/coworking-mornings/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Stevolende wrote: »
    you shoukld be ok in a library. not sure what facility with wifi they have but the central one on AUgustine st has loads of lovely chairs in and you do see people in there with laptops. Seems to be quite a bit of competition over deskspace with schoolkids though.

Was just thinking that Citylink and other bus companies advertise wifi, probably not much use to you since it would involve travel. But weren't they talking about introducing wifi on some of the new bus services across the city? Might be as economic to get a town bus pass as keep getting coffees? ;-)

Maybe you'd get a signal in the waiting room of the new coach station, without having to travel ? From the buses, if there isn't wifi for the place itself. It might not be the most reliable option tho' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

the house hotel have free wifi, just buy cup of coffee

Advertisement