Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have I hooked a scammer....

• 16-04-2012 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I may be jumping the gun here, but on Saturday night I stuck my mondeo on Donedeal and adverts. Only a 2002 but only 70k on it.

Just got a text from NEW YORK, asking if its still available.

This could be fun.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Same happened to me received two texts for my PS3 within 5 minutes of putting up the ad:

"Do you still have this lovely Game available for sales? Please mail me its final price and its present condition at my Gmail (marymark165@gmail.com)"

"CONSOLE you list for sale on DONEDEAL,what's your selling price? email me back here duffytony16(at)yahoo.ie
    Tony"

Smells of a scam to me, I'd love to catch these out but the best I could do is report their email address but what's to stop them opening another bogus account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its a blumail address, and phone code is +1 347

Google says new york city.

Got an email to ask what is bottom price.

Keep you posted, Hope it goes somewhere. Never baited a scammer before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't waste your time, lads.

Anan1 wrote: »

Ah come on, this could be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ah come on, this could be fun.
    Honestly, you're only wasting your own time. Scammers are professional - they won't get upset, and their responses are all flowcharted. Wash your car instead.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

justryan wrote: »
    "CONSOLE you list for sale on DONEDEAL,what's your selling price? email me back here duffytony16(at)yahoo.ie
    Tony"

Tony is at sea.. :D

http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/sounds-fishy-45318/

Or in afghanistan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

vectra wrote: »

Good detective skilz there :D

Tony or whoever makes a payment, you send item to somewhere thats not his home address (naturally i guess you re not sending it to new york!...or indeed to sea). He tells paypal he didnt recieve item, and Paypal reverse the payment. Your item is gone.

To quote from Vectras link

"So I CHECKED WITH PAYPAL , IF I WENT AHEAD WITH THIS , BECAUSE ITS HIS SHIPPER , I have no tracking number , i would then not be covered with paypal, he would be in the stronger position"

To be honest if its as simple as that it would make me very nervous with any sale where you have to send off the item to the purchaser without registered post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Dont waste your time, your not making it difficult for him, the scammers dont care, they fire out pre written replies

Honestly, you're only wasting your own time. Scammers are professional - they won't get upset, and their responses are all flowcharted. Wash your car instead.;)

A buddy had his email account hacked a few years ago, I received a plea for help from him, I rang him as I thought it weird, he confirmed that it was hacked and someone was trying to scam............

Hi,
    I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, my family and I came down here
    to Canada for a short visit unfortunately we were mugged at the park
    of the hotel where we stayed. I'm out of calls, all cash, credit card
    and cell phones were stolen off us but luckily, we still have our
    passports with us. We've been to the embassy and the Police here but
    they're not helping issues at all and we've a flight to catch but
    we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager
    won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I'm freaked out at the
    moment I don’t know what to do. I need a quick favor from you.
    Rgs, Gerry.

Date: Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    To:

Gerry,
    How's the form, has your mail account been hi jacked or what ?
    JamesB.

No, Pls I need to get back home. Can you assist mme?
    Gerry.

No problem at all Gerry, tell me exactly what you want me to do to help

I'm so glad you replied, have nothing left on us right now. It would have been worst if they had made away with our passports. Well, I need a quick favor from you, I was wondering if you can lend me $1,600 so that we can sort the hotel bills, and get a cab to the airport..... ll'pay back soon as I get home. The hotel CC machine is faulty, you can have it wired to me via Western Union. Here's my info below.
    Name: .
    Location: 955 Akata Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2A2.

As soon as it has been done, kindly get back to me immediately with the MTCN confirmation number & senders name. I owe you a Lot.
    Gerry.

Gerry,
    that's fine, as you have probably guessed over the years I am quite
    keen on your wife. For this $1600 could we come to an arrangement so
    that I could have a lick off the ********** (you know what) ?

what do you think ??

Get back to me soon and I start the ball rolling on the money.

regards.

I've no option, Ok. I need to get home soonest.

Are you sure she is ok with this ?? Can I bring a few friends too ??

Are you sending or not? 'm not in right frame of mind to answer any question from you I'm in a horrible situation that can happen to anyone.even you. pls help if you can..

Gerry,
    I know you are in a horrible situation, I will indeed send the
    dollars, but I have had an itch for your wife for years, will she
    definitely agree to this ? Is there a number at the hotel I can ring
    her on ??
    Regards,
    Seamus.

I got a chuckle out of it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

RoverJames wrote: »
    A buddy had his email account hacked a few years ago, I received a plea for help from him, I rang him as I thought it weird, he confirmed that it was hacked and someone was trying to scam............

Bloody brilliant :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Got one guy wanting to ship to Nigeria...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

advance-loan-blog17-300x232.jpg

:D:D:D

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the leastamount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for Dad anddue to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to comefor inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,ihave gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it. As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way topay online(PayPal) here. I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up afterthe payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With theissue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing ofall paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent soyou don't have to worry about that. You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away andalso include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypalaccount, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com. andsign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phonebut i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now dueto bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how mymessage deliver to you but for now we can only communicate through thesame mailing channel.await your reply asap. i will advice you toremove the advert from the site if you are ready to sell for me. iwill pay the 3% of paypal charges so just let me know the total costwith the charges.await your reply asap

This is great, got a sale :rolleyes: now, how to string him along?

Sold it anyway so will take the ad down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Scam Baiting eh?

www.419eater.com will give you some good reading if that's your cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Looking forward to seeing you wind the price up! My mechanic has a few bits and pieces for sale at the moment and he got two emails like this in the last few days, he must be sending alot of emails ha! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

class

XpXIK

Thats very generous of you. I was starting to think I would not sell the car.

As you have suggested, I have marked it sold on the ad, but have had some bad news, my new new car has broken down and I must ask you for another 200 euro. This is what it is going to cost me to fix the broken timing belt on my new car.

I hope this is ok.

Jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

vectra wrote: »
    justryan wrote: »
    Tony"

Tony is at sea.. :D

http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/sounds-fishy-45318/

Haha good old Tony always "at sea"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i really damn hate paypal from seller point of view. paypal will take buyers side. so if buyer is a prick, he will receive your stuff and ask paypal to get money back. awesome... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

recorded delivery doesn't help?

Thats very generous of you. I was starting to think I would not sell the car.

As you have suggested, I have marked it sold on the ad, but have had some bad news, my new new car has broken down and I must ask you for another 200 euro. This is what it is going to cost me to fix the broken timing belt on my new car.

I hope this is ok.

Jeff

Fine, fine.

Bertie Cowan.

"Pog ma Thon"

Merrion Square,

Dublin 2

Ireland

My paypal address is scouser@eastclear.ie

Thanks again.

I really need to get the timing belt fixed on my new car.

Cheers

> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:09:11 +0100
    > Subject: Re: car for sale.
    > From: joannywr@blumail.org
    > To: 8888@8888.ie
    >
    > oh okay. don't worry i will add 200pounds with your outstanding money.
    > so i will make a transfer of 200pounds in total so get back to me with
    > your full home address and also with your paypal email so that i can
    > proceed with the transfer.
    >
    >
    > Thanks

Advertisement