Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI -> VGA, it should work, but doesn't. Help please?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I have a "dell ati radeon x1300 pro 256mb pci e" card on my work desktop, which is outputting to two dell monitors via their DVI sockets.

Each monitor supports two inputs, DVI & VGA.

I want to output my laptop to one of the monitors, however, my laptop only outputs HDMI or DisplayPort (D port).

I checked the x1300 to see and as far as I can figure out it's DVI-I dual.

I got a DVI (female) to VGA (male) converter, with the intention of changing one of the outputs from my desktop from DVI to VGA, so I could free up the DVI port on the monitor. Then I could switch between inputs (digital/analogue) on the monitor, and use both my laptop & desktop off that monitor. This, sadly, didn't work.

I did a bit more research, and the cable I have is DVI-D single.

Is the solution as simple as just getting my hands on a DVI-I to VGA cable? (Leaving me with my desktop outputting to two monitors, one via straight DVI link and the other via DVI-I to VGA link) Or will I run into a new unforeseen problem when/if I get the cable?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

The easiest option (IMHO) is to just get a regular VGA video cable, and plug that into your DVI->VGA adapter, and then plug the adapter directly into the DVI port on your graphics card. This is what I do with my laptop anytime I need to plug it into the projector etc. The monitor almost certainly came with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks maggy! The only problem is the VGA cable is male/male, and the adapter is DVI felmale->VGA male, so I need to source a female/male VGA cable.

But thanks, I'll see if I can't find one in here for the meantime.

Ok Maggy, sadly that won't work. The output from the graphics card is DVI female and my connecter is DVI female to VGA male, so it a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Zulu wrote: »
    Ok Maggy, sadly that won't work. The output from the graphics card is DVI female and my connecter is DVI female to VGA male, so it a non runner.

OK - the adapter I have is the other way around, so in your case, you need either a DVI-A or DVI-I cable up to the monitor and then have the adapter on that end.

Alternatively, you could use a DisplayPort-VGA adapter on your laptop. These may cost a little more, but allows your desktop to have the higher quality connection. What's your "primary" display going to be?

Got it sorted! I managed to wrangle another connector in here (DVI male to VGA female)

Sorted :) thanks for the help Maggy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement