Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Islam and the number 666 ?

• 16-04-2012 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Title Edit.

As am a former metal & rock DJ for motorcycle clubs (Signature) I have seen this number appear all over album covers and lyrics from artists like Maiden, Slipknot, Danzig, Marlin Manson. Metallica etc.

The number has always carried myths and superstitions going right back to the time of Julius Caesar & Nero and has always been associated with the Devil.

Is there any reference to this number in the Quran and do Muslims in general have superstitions or reservations about this number or what it is supposed to represent.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have only heard about the number 666 from movies and the like.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't feature in the Koran or anywhere like that. I don't think it even features in the Bible etiher, but unsure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

wes wrote: »
    I have only heard about the number 666 from movies and the like.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't feature in the Koran or anywhere like that. I don't think it even features in the Bible either, but unsure of that.

The Biblical source is Revelation 13:18: "This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred and sixty-six." [NRSV, Anglicized Edition] Apparently, some manuscripts give the number as 616.

The Wikipedia page gives examples of how different people have been identified as the Beast, using "gematria", where letters of the alphabet are given numerical values. One person identified as the Beast is, as you might have suspected, Muhammad, but the article points out that the Greek form of his name whose letters add up to 666 is not found in any Greek-language sources, and the forms that are found don't add up to 666.

There is no Qur'anic or Prophetic authority, as far as I know, for gematria, although some people find numerical patterns in the Qur'an - for example, the number 19 is identified as significant. There are some crazy websites out there that try to claim the number 666 for Islam, but they are so bizarre that I won't link any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hivizman wrote: »
    The Biblical source is Revelation 13:18: "This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred and sixty-six." [NRSV, Anglicized Edition] Apparently, some manuscripts give the number as 616.

The Wikipedia page gives examples of how different people have been identified as the Beast, using "gematria", where letters of the alphabet are given numerical values. One person identified as the Beast is, as you might have suspected, Muhammad, but the article points out that the Greek form of his name whose letters add up to 666 is not found in any Greek-language sources, and the forms that are found don't add up to 666.

There is no Qur'anic or Prophetic authority, as far as I know, for gematria, although some people find numerical patterns in the Qur'an - for example, the number 19 is identified as significant. There are some crazy websites out there that try to claim the number 666 for Islam, but they are so bizarre that I won't link any of them.
    There has been several interpretations to the above passage, and people have been speculating about this number right down through the centuries. In order to understand it more 16 & 17 must be looked at.

Revelation 13 16 & 17 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name I do believe that this number 666 has been incorporated within the guide bars of the UPC / EAN code which is already associated with commerce.

From my understanding the passage in revelation refers to some sort of a global cashless system that requires a mark in the hand / forehead (Possibly in the form of a biometric implant incorporating the same number 666 ) in order to part take in commercial activity. I believe the technology for such a system is will in place today and I would also believe that those that are gradually gaining control over the worlds finances IE: Rothschild / IMF are well capable forcing nations into submission to accept such a totalitarian financial system.

I don't believe any particular religion such as Islam, Judaism, Buddism Roman Catholicism or Christian religions would be directly behind any of the above however I do believe that it could be possible for some charismatic individual to be able to harmonise and orchestrate the worlds religions to form a religious wing to the above system of government.

This subject has also been brought in conspiracy theorys and Christianity and I am always interested to hear what those from other religious backgrounds have to say or contribute towards the above. I would also be interested to know from the Quran if Muslims are expecting an important prophet to materialise within the near future?

I would also be interested to know from the Quran if Muslims are expecting an important prophet to materialise within the near future?

A common Muslim view is that Jesus (who is regarded in Islam as one of the most important prophets) will return as part of the last days. Some Muslims interpret various contemporary phenomena as consistent with predictions that Muhammad is reported to have made about signs of the last days.

A discussion of the Signs of the Last Day is provided in this YouTube video by the commentator Abdurraheem Green:

A common Muslim view is that Jesus (who is regarded in Islam as one of the most important prophets) will return as part of the last days. Some Muslims interpret various contemporary phenomena as consistent with predictions that Muhammad is reported to have made about signs of the last days.

A discussion of the Signs of the Last Day is provided in this YouTube video by the commentator Abdurraheem Green:

Very Interesting video and there is a lot of parallels. ie Credit & finance, knowledge increasing, Moral decay, apostasy.

Music is an interesting subject mentioned, I have a very good ear for lyrics. Since the 60's Satanism and God hating in music has gone from being just suggestive to now just out and out blatant and its not just Metal and Rock its right through the Charts. The fruits of all this is hatred, apostasy, suicides, idolatry, moral decay, drug and alcohol abuse. And to think that people brainwashed with this stuff will be our school teachers and politicians of tomorrow. I can understand why it is Haraam in Islam.

Daniel 12:4 mentions of "many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased". Like the Quran mentions its an intellectual knowledge spoken of and not a Godly knowledge. Mankind has rejected God and substituted him for materialism.

Interesting what it says about credit being haraam. Probably the reason why Islamic banking were least effected by the economic collapse. It is written in Proverbs "The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender". The very same can be said about Nations like Ireland that are now submitting their sovereignty for bailouts from elitist banking groups.

One question, Are Tattoos or piercings Haraam in Islam?

• Advertisement

One question, Are Tattoos or piercings Haraam in Islam?

Tattoos are generally considered to be haram, on the basis that they are an attempt to alter Allah's creation when this is not necessary to correct a natural deformity or repair some physical defect. There are some ahadith in Sahih Muslim on tattooing:

Ibn Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) cursing the woman who added false hair and the woman who asked for tattoos. This hadith has been reported on the authority of Abdullah through another chain of transmitters. (Book 024, Number 5300).

'Abdullah reported that Allah had cursed those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created. (Book 024, Number 5301).

Interestingly, these specifically refer to women, and possibly refer to practices where women had their lips tattooed to enhance their allure.

With regard to piercings, these are in general also considered haram as interfering with creation, but there appears to be a difference of opinion as regards to piercings for women, with it being considered acceptable for women to wear earrings. However, this does not apply to men, on the ground that men are supposed to avoid doing things in imitation of women.

Tattoos are generally considered to be haram, on the basis that they are an attempt to alter Allah's creation when this is not necessary to correct a natural deformity or repair some physical defect. There are some ahadith in Sahih Muslim on tattooing:

Ibn Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) cursing the woman who added false hair and the woman who asked for tattoos. This hadith has been reported on the authority of Abdullah through another chain of transmitters. (Book 024, Number 5300).

'Abdullah reported that Allah had cursed those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created. (Book 024, Number 5301).

Interestingly, these specifically refer to women, and possibly refer to practices where women had their lips tattooed to enhance their allure.

With regard to piercings, these are in general also considered haram as interfering with creation, but there appears to be a difference of opinion as regards to piercings for women, with it being considered acceptable for women to wear earrings. However, this does not apply to men, on the ground that men are supposed to avoid doing things in imitation of women.
    That's interesting, they are also forbidden in Leviticus 19:28 both cuttings and prints. I would gather there would be exceptions such as medical skin graphs, injections etc.

The "Mark of the Beast" as mentioned earlier which is totally forbidden is described as a piercing or something "in". (Corrupt modern versions give the impression its something "on") So I would gather a Muslims strictly going by the Quran should reject anything of this nature if the proposition was put to them.

Advertisement