Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising claims

• 16-04-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Just saw an advert there for Calgon - you know the 'washing machines live longer with Calgon' and at the end it says to use it in every wash.

I have never used Calgon and I have never had a washing machine seize up because of lime-scale build-up.

Surely, at most, once a week would be fine?

Just seems a bit over-doing it to say EVERY wash so people go through it quicker.

Another one I saw was for that hair removal thing No-No. A woman said that she uses it because when she shaved, she noticed the hair had grown back the next day :eek: Come on :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Gillette the best a man can get. Surely this phrase should be reserved for Jessica Alba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dont have a dish washer ( another celtic tiger must have ) so dont use calgon.
    But there is a new tooth paste that not only when you wake gives you squeeky clean white teeth, but also gives you a hair do during the night and several layers of make up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

and what about them bueaty product adds that use odd numbers for the amount of wimmins surveyed to make their percentages look good?

"94% of 78" and such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Gillette the best a man can get. Surely this phrase should be reserved for Jessica Alba Kelly Brooke.

I think we can all agree that Kelly Brooke is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Another one I saw was for that hair removal thing No-No. A woman said that she uses it because when she shaved, she noticed the hair had grown back the next day :eek: Come on :D

Well hair does start to grow back immediately. Even with hair removal cream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

2 words "penis enlargement" :rolleyes:

I actually think they are not allowed to make health claims that are false.

Eg Guinness is good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Have the Calgon tune in my head now cheers OP:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just saw an advert there for Calgon - you know the 'washing machines live longer with Calgon' and at the end it says to use it in every wash.

I have never used Calgon and I have never had a washing machine seize up because of lime-scale build-up.

Just seems a bit over-doing it to say EVERY wash so people go through it quicker.

It depends on if you're in an area with hard water or not. A friend of mine goes through a kettle every year, as the limescale builds up so much.

44leto wrote: »

But Guinness is good for you, it's full of iron and happiness. 2 weeks till I can go home and get some of that wonderful stout.

44leto wrote: »

Guinness is actually good for you. Its a quality and damn tasty laxative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

From the mod of Plumbing:
    Ha love this thread been saying this for ages. But this is the actual reality. Family home! Calgon cost 40c each do 4 washes a day thats 1.60 a day! Now the dearest washing machine being 600 euro the cheapest being 300 euro the adverage being 400 euro. Granted I dont wash cloths every day so we will say 4 days a week. This equates to

1.60 per x 4 days = 1 week cost x 52 = 1 year cost = feck off calgon!

1.60 x 4 = 6.40 x 52 = 332.80 per year.

I figure if we half this for the cheaper brand tablet which of course is being extreamly generous. that equals 165 per year in calgon

With the adverage life of a washing machine in hard water areas being 2-4 years

@ 2 years being extreamly generous we get 330 in competors calgon!

@ 3 years dbeing extreamly generous we get 490 in competitors calgon

So at 2 year in calgon you will pay at least 600 euro or 300 in competitors

Its just not worth it. another thing. Calagon is salt yes! Is all this salt added to the washing machine water which of course is already heavly contaminated not contributing to poisioning of the water!

"Washing machines live longer with calgon!" but my bank balence does not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Special K is good for you, its sugary cereal, may as well be eating Coco Pops, which are way nicer anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lynx does not make women crawl all over you uncontrollably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

and what about them bueaty product adds that use odd numbers for the amount of wimmins surveyed to make their percentages look good?

"94% of 78" and such...

:D

I know... Like Loreal do a survey of 113 women. I always think, you stingy gits, 113 women.... what kind of a sample is that????!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The ads for fat burning supplements that work while you sleep.

smash wrote: »
    Lynx does not make women crawl all over you uncontrollably!

They prefer bundles of bank notes and a 10 inch mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Apparently Tampax gives women the ability to ride horses and rollerskate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Gyalist wrote: »
    The ads for fat burning supplements that work while you sleep.

Oh yes, the one where she goes to sleep a size 14-16 and wakes up a size 8-10. She also improves her fashion sense overnight. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

That if I'm ever in an real ER-type situation, my health insurers will do all they can to help me.

Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

But Guinness is good for you, it's full of iron and happiness. 2 weeks till I can go home and get some of that wonderful stout.

Hey you are preaching to the converted, its very jolly good for me, to darn good for me, I could even do with a tonic now.

But those damn scientists wont let the blood bank give out the free bottle anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭choobles

The biggest myth of them all.. "24 hour anti perspirant"!!!

24 seconds maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

A friend of mine goes through a kettle every year, as the limescale builds up so much.

I can honestly say, any brand of tea does not taste better with Calgon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I can honestly say, any brand of tea does not taste better with Calgon.
    Even Tesco Value?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

Even Tesco Value?

That might be the exception that proves the rule.

Even Tesco Value?

That shít makes calgon taste good.

Advertisement