Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using iphone abroad concern

• 16-04-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I just purchased an iphone and ill admit I dont really know the first thing about these devices, im off to australia in 2 weeks and im parnoid abut using the internet with it over there, I often hear of horror stories of people who 1000's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Turn off data and don't dare switch it on while your there. Use wifi only. Data can be disabled in the settings. Also call what ever network your with and get them to disable your voicemail while your there.
    If it was me i'd take a crappy old phone for the few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Turn off data and don't dare switch it on while your there. Use wifi only. Data can be disabled in the settings. Also call what ever network your with and get them to disable your voicemail while your there.

I want to take it with me for the camera, how do I disable data exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

I want to take it with me for the camera, how do I disable data exactly

Go to 'Settings'
    then go to 'General'
    then go to 'Network'
    then Mobile Data ON/OFF

thanks for that, is it safe to have it on in ireland

depends on what your network data plan is, data allowance

• Advertisement

stonybroke wrote: »
    depends on what your network data plan is, data allowance

im with meteor, 5gb a month

Should be plenty, l'm meteor too with 1gb a month but never use it all, l use wifi when l'm at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also call what ever network your with and get them to disable your voicemail while your there.

Not necessary, if someone leaves you a voicemail you will get an SMS alert which will not cost you a cent.

What you should do is record a voicemail greeting saying you are out of the country and that people should text you instead of leaving a voice message. That way you can receive their text messages which will not cost you a cent and you can reply to them using webtext from an internet cafe or a friend's house, either way is free up to your monthly allowance.

And don't forget to call forward all voice calls to voicemail, otherwise if you take an incoming call, it's going to cost you the same as if you phoned back to Ireland. Even missed calls will cost you so make sure to block all incoming calls via call forwarding.

If you're not going to use data then that's probably the best thing to do, most older phones are far easier to use for sending text messages and they are less attractive to thieves, very important when you're abroad and have your guard down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

My mate run a bill of just over 200 Euros while on holidays in Thailand.
    He has Iphone 4 and was confident that his network will send him a warning notification if he goes over his cap limit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/09/data_roaming.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have moved this thread to the apple media devices forum. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

coylemj wrote: »
    Not necessary, if someone leaves you a voicemail you will get an SMS alert which will not cost you a cent.

Yes but there's a charge for someone receiving a call, it's €2.33pm in Australia and somebody leaving you a voicemail will cost you money and if you check the voicemail that's another €2.33.
    If your a busy person is can be expensive best turn it off for the few weeks.
    Internet is a bargain €10.34 per mb.

@OP, iPhone is a camera but it's not really, take a camera. If you don't want your phone water damaged, stolen or destroyed from sand. You'll also get more time to enjoy australia rather than fiddling with your iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can uoi get it unlocked? If so, buy an austrailian ready to go sim card.
    It costs $2 and for $29 you'll get $150 worth of calls and texts and maybe 500mb of data, depending on carrier.

Either that or bring a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Check this out OP.

AUS SIM Card Only Plans

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You should also have a look here as you are new to iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

stonybroke wrote: »
    Go to 'Settings'
    then go to 'General'
    then go to 'Network'
    then Mobile Data ON/OFF

Sorry to be pedantic but this for me is not correct.

Instead of Mobile Data (Cellular Data on my phone) you should ensure that Data Roaming is off, this well ensure that you will not receive any data whilst not using your home network.

Also, as far as I know your monthly allowance is for home network use only and not for when roaming.

Just ensure data roaming is off and use lots of free wi-fi!

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

murpho999 wrote: »

Sorry to be pedantic but this for me is not correct.

Instead of Mobile Data (Cellular Data on my phone) you should ensure that Data Roaming is off, this well ensure that you will not receive any data whilst not using your home network.

Also, as far as I know your monthly allowance is for home network use only and not for when roaming.

Just ensure data roaming is off and use lots of free wi-fi!

Enjoy your trip!

Both methods still achieve the same end result in terms of the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Mellor wrote: »
    It costs $2 and for $29 you'll get $150 worth of calls and texts and maybe 500mb of data, depending on carrier.

Good advice....but you could also get it unlocked and get a 3 Ireland SIM and use it over there for data and calls to and from Ireland roaming on the Three network, at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

culabula wrote: »
    Mellor wrote: »

Good advice....but you could also get it unlocked and get a 3 Ireland SIM and use it over there for data and calls to and from Ireland roaming on the Three network, at no cost.

The 3 like home to Australia is no longer available.

Advertisement