Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Box usage

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me please how on many nights a year the Black Box stages an event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you want to know? Btw, I suppose you could just pull up the 2011 listings for black box and count?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

conaire1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me please how on many nights a year the Black Box stages an event?

It's not only used as a music venue. NUIG (used to, don't know if they still do) use it as an exam venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

There is usually an event once a month in the box.......

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

The Town Hall website offers a PDF programme for the current month. It would be interesting to know if funded venues like the Black Box, Taibhdhearc, Arts Centre, are being put to the maximum use of the wider community?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The underuse of Leisureland is a greater crime. Some top acts have played there in the 80's and 90's including The Smiths, U2, James, UB40, Depeche Mode etc. Bigger and better venues came along in other places and Leisureland faded into oblivion and it as good as defunct today.

It should have been reinvented in to a proper venue by increasing it's height which would transform it on to a modern day tiered concert theatre similar to the the Royal Theatre in Castlebar or the INEC Killarney.

That won't happen in the current economic climate. Pity really. I hate driving to Castlebar. It's a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

The Town Hall website offers a PDF programme for the current month. It would be interesting to know if funded venues like the Black Box, Taibhdhearc, Arts Centre, are being put to the maximum use of the wider community?
    i doubt anyone other than builders are using an Taibhdhearc at the moment.

bigger white elephants in Galway than the BlackBox (which was built on the cheap).

The debacle with the film center is something that should be inquired into, it's a venue that's not needed, could not be justified in Celtic Tiger terms, and will never be self financing

So if there was to be a Nama for arts venues in Galway, the following would be in it:
    Black Box
    Leisureland
    Taibhdhearc
    Columban Hall

Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The underuse of Leisureland is a greater crime. Some top acts have played there in the 80's and 90's including The Smiths, U2, James, UB40, Depeche Mode etc. Bigger and better venues came along in other places and Leisureland faded into oblivion and it as good as defunct today.

It should have been reinvented in to a proper venue by increasing it's height which would transform it on to a modern day tiered concert theatre similar to the the Royal Theatre in Castlebar or the INEC Killarney.

That won't happen in the current economic climate. Pity really. I hate driving to Castlebar. It's a kip.

no bar license maybe??

Paddyfield wrote: »

Too small, no space to develop it and can't go up the way due to the "out of character" nature of the development and the "loss of visual amenity".

I reckon what they should do is the the university and or gmit to develop something along the lines of the Helix in DCU. The construction would have to be subsidized but when the money was paid back profits would be pushed back into the college(s).

Should be good for conventions etc like labour party conference in the imi last week as well concerts and other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

So if there was to be a Nama for arts venues in Galway, the following would be in it:
    Black Box
    Leisureland
    Taibhdhearc
    Columban Hall

Any others?

Taibhdhearc was being repaired after the fire. They are reopening properly this summer I believe. Lovely theatre, curious to see how it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

antoobrien wrote: »
    Too small, no space to develop it and can't go up the way due to the "out of character" nature of the development and the "loss of visual amenity".

I reckon what they should do is the the university and or gmit to develop something along the lines of the Helix in DCU. The construction would have to be subsidized but when the money was paid back profits would be pushed back into the college(s).

Should be good for conventions etc like labour party conference in the imi last week as well concerts and other events.
    Who was behind the proposed concert hall in the Fisheries Field?

Robbo wrote: »

No idea. I don't think the college own it though (not sure if you're suggesting that).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Conaire1,

I think it's very good to raise this issue, I was just thinking the same thing lately.

I've seen some good gigs at the Black Box over the years, but there seems to be very little musical stuff happening there of late. I'd say it's empty most of the year.

celty wrote: »
    Conaire1,

I think it's very good to raise this issue, I was just thinking the same thing lately.

I've seen some good gigs at the Black Box over the years, but there seems to be very little musical stuff happening there of late. I'd say it's empty most of the year.

It's sad that the box is empty most of the year. I could understand it being empty once a month or so......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

scholar007 wrote: »
    It's sad that the box is empty most of the year. I could understand it being empty once a month or so......

oh dear!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

no bar license maybe??
    I was at a concert there last September (Christy Moore and Declan Sinnott) and there was a bar open doing brisk business.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

the black box isnt empty most of the year; All the major festivals - arts/barboro etc use it. Sometimes this might involve having it booked for a few weeks in advance of a show due to rehersals/set up. Its an integral part of being able to host international festivals that a venue of this nature is available.
    Even by googling it you can see who's been there over the last few yrs - lee evans, keith barry etc.
    Its has a bar license etc although the bar is really only a foyer and could do with upgrading.

liamhana wrote: »
    the black box isnt empty most of the year
    Perhaps you could tell us how many nights a year it is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm still curious as to why do you want to know?
    Do you think it's underused/overused?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »

Galway City Council and NUIG. Ref: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CommunityCulture/Publications/FileEnglish,4505,en.pdf

Still needed IMHO. Black Box acoustics leave a "little" to be desired, from what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I was at a concert there last September (Christy Moore and Declan Sinnott) and there was a bar open doing brisk business.

I was there, it was in the Ardilaun, not Leisureland...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

Perhaps you could tell us how many nights a year it is open?

the black box is 'open' when groups (arts/musical/community/drama etc) book it....:confused: Its commercially operated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

antoobrien wrote: »
    NUIG (used to, don't know if they still do) use it as an exam venue.

NUIG don't use it for exams anymore, not since the new sports unit (with hall) was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I was there, it was in the Ardilaun, not Leisureland...
    Then you weren't there you were at a different concert the following night. One night was in Leisureland and the next night in the Ardilaun.

liamhana wrote: »
    the black box is 'open' when groups (arts/musical/community/drama etc) book it....:confused: Its commercially operated.
    I have a general idea about the function of the Black Box. The question at the start of the thread still stands: How many nights a year is it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Then you weren't there you were at a different concert the following night. One night was in Leisureland and the next night in the Ardilaun.
    Yes - Christy & Declan played on 2 consecutive nights, in Leisureland & the Ardilaun.
    Both had bars serving alcohol.

Edit: apologies for another off-topic post.

biko wrote: »
    I'm still curious as to why do you want to know?
    Do you think it's underused/overused?
    I guess I'm curious about the state of the arts in Galway. Leaving aside Druid and the annual Arts Festival, is Galway still the "vibrant arts scene" as so often referred to by the media in the past?
    I selected usage of the Black Box as just one measuring device, there are others. Also I understand that it is paid for out of public funds and we have a right to know if it is being put to best use.
    And why doesn't it have its own website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I guess I'm curious about the state of the arts in Galway. Leaving aside Druid and the annual Arts Festival, is Galway still the "vibrant arts scene" as so often referred to by the media in the past?
    I selected usage of the Black Box as just one measuring device, there are others. Also I understand that it is paid for out of public funds and we have a right to know if it is being put to best use.
    And why doesn't it have its own website?

I am just wondering why you are selecting a large 'rentable' building as a measuring device for an Arts Scene.
    Imo, most of the more exciting stuff has always taken place in smaller venues.
    Looking at the programming of Town Hall Theatre (which uses Black Box for larger gigs to if needed), Kelly's Bar, Róisín, NUIG Theatre, Nun's Island or Monroes might give you a better idea. Or visual arts places like Galway Arts Centre', Museum etc.

Is is specifically one part of the arts you are interested in? Black Box hosts everything from Theatre to Comedy to Music, but because of its size, the acts are often 'mainstream' as opposed to cutting edge or 'fresh'.

RINO87 wrote: »
    oh dear!!:pac:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the Black Box featured at the start of the RTE News report on the Arts Festival (13/6/2012).
    This seems a good time to pose the original and unanswered question -
    Can anyone tell me please on how many nights a year the Black Box stages an event?

Advertisement