Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Box usage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I saw the Saw Doctors and The Panel in there.

I got thinking about how it would be the perfect comedy gig venue. It has the tiered seating that is ideal for viewing. Could see feck all on the flat ground in the Global Arena event tent.

Dara O'Briain said it had been 7 years since he did a Galway gig. Surely two or three nights on the trot in the Black Box would do well?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Conaire1,

It is a very valid question as it is owned by the City Council and run by the Town Hall Theatre. I would suggest you give the Town Hall a ring.

As far as I can make out, it hosts events for two weeks of the Galway Arts Festival at this time of year and maybe a dozen more scattered throughout the year.

God be with the days of the notorious 'Club Outrageous' which was closed down by the Gardai!! (One of the best dance clubs i was ever at).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

conaire1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me please how on many nights a year the Black Box stages an event?

No idea. I also have no idea why other posters are questioning why you need to know. I now want to know too.

Let's speculate.

My guesstimate is 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

You know what would be really cool?

A music venue on the docks where the main stage was for the Volvo Ocean Race. Great location for it, with ample space only used for a funfair once or twice a year

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

celty wrote: »
    Conaire1,

It is a very valid question as it is owned by the City Council and run by the Town Hall Theatre. I would suggest you give the Town Hall a ring.

As far as I can make out, it hosts events for two weeks of the Galway Arts Festival at this time of year and maybe a dozen more scattered throughout the year.

God be with the days of the notorious 'Club Outrageous' which was closed down by the Gardai!! (One of the best dance clubs i was ever at).

If, lets say, the Black Box were open for about a dozen nights for the non-Festival period, could we also conclude that it serves nowadays merely as a tourism trick?

• Advertisement
Advertisement