Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda S2000 - opinions?

• 16-04-2012 12:28pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions on an S2000? I'm considering buying an older one - I think its a whole lot of car for the money. I had an EP3 Civic Type R in the past which I really loved - and I know they are very similar; mainly 2 less seats, rear wheel drive, drop top, few more horses with 9krpm and a smoother vtech. I think a few people here have owned them, I'm interested in any options - especially the negitive aspects of them...

I hear they are fairly hard and bumpy for Irish roads, also what kind of mpg can you expect? Is it ok if you keep the revs down? How is it for comfort and (boot) space? I was thinking about getting an Elise but its quite simply too small for holding luggage for a trip away etc. How about problems to look out for - or maintainance etc?

There do not seem to be very many around at the moment - a few on carzone but the prices seem to vary a lot - not sure if the cheaper ones would be risky. Would it be worth bringing in from the UK? I'm thinking there is not as much value in importing any more...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Absolutely love them,from the little research i did though i was advised to buy a later model one as the benefited from some suspension upgrades,earlier models were a little tail happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Boxter S has 2 boots and about the same mpg.

I will own an s2000 at some stage when my milage calms down a little bit. There's a nice blue one on done deal but the price seems to have gone up, it was just over 5k a few months back iirc, looks like the owner is gone to Australia or somewhere and daddy is trying to flog it.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

<--- Banned

Big girly hairdresser car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I had one and loved.

You won't have an issue with keeping the revs down as it will never happen. Ever.

MPG isn't too bad - I was getting 25/26 on mine iirc.

Maintenance wise - had no issues at all. Engines are renowned for being bulletproof.

My only concern with them (and the reason we parted ways) was the tail happiness. In a way I loved it but given my style of driving, I had one too many close calls. Admittedly this was only in the wet and I didn't have the best tyres on it. But just be aware before buying that when it gets wet, it will slip out at some stage. If you're not happy to put up with that, don't buy one.

Other than that, I would highly (highly) recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

as an mx5 owner i hold 2 thumbs up or s2000. There are few on boards.ie, so you should get first hand opinion of them, but from what i know: its very lovely and very well balanced car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm sure TestTransmission will be along shortly too :)

I've owned mine for about 7 months now, and absolutely love it to bits. Mine is a facelift model though, which means softer and more comfy suspension, less tail-happy, and a few other bits, so if you're going pre-facelift, my experience will be a little different.

Anyways... MPG, I've averaged 25.2MPG at the absolute lowest, and got it as high as 31.74, so as you can see there's not a world of difference between driving it (somewhat) hard and cruising all the way.

Space wise, it is what it is - a two seater roadster. You have enough cabin space though for pens, coins, and all that stuff. The boot is decent for the size of the car, but it does take some work and engenuity to make things fit. If you are really smart about it, the car can actually hold a shocking amount of stuff - I'm attaching a photo of what I fit in coming down from Belfast at Christmas time, and that includes the dog and cat (pictured), my girlfriend and me.

Being a Honda, I've never been worried about mine mechanically. However, I did have to do a good few expensive bits with mine after buying, as I'm not happy unless she's 100%. Two new alloys cost €650, 4 tyres were another €650, a brake caliper w/2 new pads will cost me a shade under €400 next week, but they're not mechanical problems, if you know what I mean, just wear and tear.
    I'd heard some S2k's burn a fair bit of oil - I've not had to put a drop in mine so far despite revving her plenty and checking the levels regularly.

Comfort wise, I have to admit I did notice that the pre-facelift is a fair bit harsher ride than the facelift model. Even in mine, you'll notice every bump, or if you run over a stone :D But that's part of the appeal, it's a sports car, you're meant to feel everything about it, good and bad. It's dead comfortable on the motorway, and even going Dublin to Sligo, I'm fresh as a daisy getting out at the end.

Have you taken one for a test-drive yet? Or seen them in person?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been a passenger in one before but never driven one. When i was in one I thought it was fairly similar to my Ep3 - I'm sure its better though so I'm sure I'll love it. What year was the facelift? Yes Ideally I'd like one of these fore the ride etc, I do prefer the look also. Seems to be very few around and the newer ones are pretty expensive!

Zascar wrote: »
    I've been a passenger in one before but never driven one. When i was in one I thought it was fairly similar to my Ep3 - I'm sure its better though so I'm sure I'll love it. What year was the facelift? Yes Ideally I'd like one of these fore the ride etc, I do prefer the look also. Seems to be very few around and the newer ones are pretty expensive!

Technically the facelift year is 2004+, but mine is a UK import and was registered in late 2003. There's a good few cosmetic differences too - personally I prefer the facelift looks and feel, but then again others prefer the older style and drive, as it's more raw. All depends what you prefer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795702.htm - check this out for value. It's a Cat D but if no major damage then it might be a good buy. Would you guys potentially buy a Cat D? A PPI would be essential of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3795702.htm - check this out for value. It's a Cat D but if no major damage then it might be a good buy. Would you guys potentially buy a Cat D? A PPI would be essential of course..

Have you checked the vrt on that? I'd say it's quite nasty, like very very nasty. :eek:

I have a 00 reg and I love it.It has given me one or two little surprises when driving but nothing scary.
    Mine is slightly modified (coilovers, silly exhaust etc :p), the car drives and sounds fantastic though. A hardtop is also a must imo for winter,I was lucky in that when I bought mine it came with one.As to source one and the fitting kit you could be looking at €1000 easily.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah you are right maybe I would be better just going for a cheap older one and living with it.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/LOW-CASH/201207207009475/advert?channel=CARS
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/GT-02DR/201203206606592/advert?channel=CARS

Why is a hardtop so essential?

Thanks, yeah you are right maybe I would be better just going for a cheap older one and living with it.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/LOW-CASH/201207207009475/advert?channel=CARS
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/GT-02DR/201203206606592/advert?channel=CARS

It's warmer :p and I'd rather if we had a heavy snowfall that the soft top wasn't to get a battering. In saying that though,a nice crisp morning with the roof down is pretty awesome.

It also transforms the look of the car and improves security but sure that's just my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a hardtop, it makes the world of difference. You'll see that you'll want one later if you dont buy one initially with the car.

Funnily, I was hellbent on getting a hardtop before I got it.... but don't think I'd bother with one now. Never miss it, but then again I get to park underground, so if there's snow it doesn't affect me. Might be different if I was parking outside.

Still, I love the freedom of just dropping the roof at any time.

Funnily, I was hellbent on getting a hardtop before I got it.... but don't think I'd bother with one now. Never miss it, but then again I get to park underground, so if there's snow it doesn't affect me. Might be different if I was parking outside.

Still, I love the freedom of just dropping the roof at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I love the look of the S2000 and am a Honda fan. But it kinda falls between in the middle ground btween the Boxster and the MX5 so I could see why many don't go for it. Everytime I see one these day I think they still look amazing.

Some reviews here
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/220650/honda_s2000_gt.html
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/58959/honda_s2000_gt.htm

I assume theres an owners club where you get good info and perhaps they'll know of a good example for sale with known history.

BostonB wrote: »
    Personally I love the look of the S2000 and am a Honda fan. But it kinda falls between in the middle ground btween the Boxster and the MX5 so I could see why many don't go for it. Everytime I see one these day I think they still look amazing.

Some reviews here
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/220650/honda_s2000_gt.html
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/58959/honda_s2000_gt.htm

I assume theres an owners club where you get good info and perhaps they'll know of a good example for sale with known history.

S2ki.com is an excellent resource and their UK section has a 'for sale' section too. It's at http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/25-uk-s2000-community/

listermint wrote: »
    Get a hardtop, it makes the world of difference. You'll see that you'll want one later if you dont buy one initially with the car.

i have a roadster and dont have hardtop and i dont even know why i would want one... :rolleyes:

Boxster has a much bigger engine and I just downright refuse to pay 1k+ per year in motor tax. Want to stick around 2 litre or so if possible. Mx5's are great I'm sure but they are a bit girlie for me. I was thinking of an RX8? Few very cheap ones around and I hear they are really good if a little thirsty. I do very little milage as I have a motorbike too so i'm trying to get something decent but cheap too.. What other options should I consider if I can't find a good S2000 in my budget?

What other options should I consider if I can't find a good S2000 in my budget?

You never gave us a budget... ;)

• Advertisement

I'd love to stick to 5-6k, but I could probably spend maybe 8-9k - but only if it was very special and definitely worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i have a roadster and dont have hardtop and i dont even know why i would want one... :rolleyes:

Eh no need for the rolls eyes, This is ireland and driving a damp cold S2000 in the winter thats been parked on your driveway is more than enough to warrant a hard top.

Over to you 'rolley'

is yours your daily driver ?????

I'd love to stick to 5-6k, but I could probably spend maybe 8-9k - but only if it was very special and definitely worth while.

This is quite similar to mine , wheels look a bit big though imo and I paid quite bit a less than that a year ago.

This one has a decent alarm aswell, same one I have in mine.

I know this car and is in great nick and reasonably priced imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i wonder is there anyway i could insure of of those :o

i wonder is there anyway i could insure of of those :o

What age are you/NCB? I think JB is paying €2500 with 1 year experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

20 3 years license and ncb. would be at least 21 when buying next car though

Thanks Test, Thanks that first one looks pretty nice. Why do so many of them come with Red leather? I do like red as a colour but its usually a big no-no on car interiors. I'd much prefer all black - but its kinda hard to find.

Ardennes, you can usually get insured on almost anything with XS Direct. How old are you? I was with them for 4 years when I had the Ep3 which most other companies would not touch me. In the last year I went with Axa as for a little more I could get a proper policy. XS Direct policies are bare to say the least. Just be wary if you do use them.

Eh no need for the rolls eyes, This is ireland and driving a damp cold S2000 in the winter thats been parked on your driveway is more than enough to warrant a hard top.

Over to you 'rolley'

Daily driver for last 3 years. Between me and misses. She is at work with mx5 ATM. So what do I know...

*insert rollyesyes here

20 3 years license and ncb. would be at least 21 when buying next car though

You'll get insured, you'll be paying for the pleasure though
    Thanks Test, Thanks that first one looks pretty nice. Why do so many of them come with Red leather? I do like red as a colour but its usually a big no-no on car interiors. I'd much prefer all black - but its kinda hard to find.

I've found this on the s2k forum and shows the trim options, I'm not sure how accurate it is though.I have seen a fully red interior, red dashboard, etc.It's pretty horrible. :pac: You could always buy new seats, a pair goes for about €400/500 second hand

200713.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ugh another thread about s2000s!!! Please stop, I'm only after getting a new set of wheels afew weeks back, and every time I see anything about an s2000 I just want to go out and buy one ha!

In terms of insurance, I'm fairly sure I posted this up a while back, but I got a quote of 700ish (I've a full NCB and am 26) for an s2000 with quotedevil.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ugh another thread about s2000s!!! Please stop, I'm only after getting a new set of wheels afew weeks back, and every time I see anything about an s2000 I just want to go out and buy one ha!

In terms of insurance, I'm fairly sure I posted this up a while back, but I got a quote of 700ish (I've a full NCB and am 26) for an s2000 with quotedevil.
    Qoute devil? Its like signing your soul for insurance now eh? :)

Over to you 'rolley'

Not to get in between handbags at dawn, but mine is my daily and I don't want a hardtop.
    If you don't like cars being cold in the morning when you sit in, you should probably move somewhere warmer. I find the S2k heats up the cabin super fast though.
    If yours is damp... well your roof might need a check. Honestly.
    What age are you/NCB? I think JB is paying €2500 with 1 year experience.

Correct - I was 25, 1 years NCB, no points, and I'm paying €2500 or near enough. Can't wait for renewal time in August, they can't possibly do me any worse!
    I've found this on the s2k forum and shows the trim options, I'm not sure how accurate it is though.I have seen a fully red interior, red dashboard, etc.It's pretty horrible. :pac: You could always buy new seats, a pair goes for about €400/500 second hand

Aye, the all-red combo is (IMO) horrible. I love the red/black interior with black dash, and also the all black interior (which I have in mine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Was looking into s2000s myself. Seem like a fantastic car. VRT is quite high if importing from the UK.

Are there a lot of poor examples on the Irish market? It's hard to judge without actually viewing them but it looks like you need to spend €8k+ for a well sorted one? I could be wrong though.

Op good luck with the search, keep us Updated :)

Veloce wrote: »
    Are there a lot of poor examples on the Irish market? It's hard to judge without actually viewing them but it looks like you need to spend €8k+ for a well sorted one? I could be wrong though.

Not really no, as mentioned before , this one is well priced, has a replaced softop which is costly and in great nick generally. Would be well under budget for the OP and leave room for a hardtop/other changes if he so wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone driven tonight, pelting rain, heavy winds, wet roads, generally an all round bad night for driving. You'd be glad of a hard top.

Some of the s2000 one's are pretty cool.
    l_14386577e6acd145de592623035ace99.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 911 is no longer the daily driver then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The handling of the S2000 has more to do with how the geometry of the car is setup than the year of manufacture. If you get a MY2000 s2k it is very easy to tidy up the handling, the problem was how they were setup from the factory but this is easily sorted at any decent alignment place.

One thing that hasnt been emphasised here is that the geometry bolts on these cars get easily seized and are expensive and a pain in the arse to get right. This makes it hard to set the car up correctly, most fellas in the know regularly grease/maintain these bolts, id buy from an enthusiast for this alone.

The f20 engine is getting long in the tooth now, you'll be dissappointed with the engine compared to the k20 in the ep3/dc5. It has more top end bhp but much less torque down low and is more in line with the older B series engine, vtec crossover is less smooth also. Gearbox is very similar to the ep3 also.

Theyre a great car, just get her setup correctly (i cant emphasise this enough!) and take it handy in the wet. Have mine about 6 weeks but she needs a lot of tidying up for the summer months.

cpoh1 wrote: »

The f20 engine is getting long in the tooth now, you'll be dissappointed with the engine compared to the k20 in the ep3/dc5. It has more top end bhp but much less torque down low and is more in line with the older B series engine, vtec crossover is less smooth also. Gearbox is very similar to the ep3 also.

Tbh with ya, I had a Euro R before the s2000 and I personally don't find it disappointing in comparison. Just my opinion though. :)

Pics of yours?

Advertisement