Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOUGH REE PIKE FESTIVAL

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Lough Ree International Pike Festival
    A Boat Angling Competition
    Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
    18th, 19th & 20th April 2012
    €3,000 guaranteed first prize – Sponsored by Failte Ireland
    Supported by Lakelands & Inland Waterways Ireland
    Plus the Pike Angling World Cup with a €1000 first prize
    The festival is open to all anglers and will take place on Lough Ree at Athlone, located in the very heart of Ireland, with boat angling over three days. If 200 anglers take part in the festival the prize fund will total €23,000.
    Lough Ree is 16 miles long and the second largest lake on the Shannon system and it has been chosen based on the quality of its pike angling. All lawful angling methods will be allowed and for conservation reasons all fish will be measured and released immediately. Anglers fishing from boats will be required to have their own digital camera so that any fish caught can be photographed and returned to the lake as quickly as possible.
    The entry fee has been reduced for 2012 and the cost is €40 per angler per day or €100 for three days. All monies will be returned in cash prizes – plus the €3,000 first prize.
    All lawful angling methods will be allowed and for conservation reasons all fish will be measured and released immediately. Anglers fishing from boats will be required to have their own digital camera so that any fish caught can be photographed and released immediately.
    Book now by email: dave@activeirishangling.com
    Telephone from UK: 0151 324 4744
    From Ireland: 071 964 2743
    Other countries: 00353 71 964 2743
    All entries must be made in advance and are subject to availability
    Click here for Entry Form
    Click here for Festival Rules
    Click here for Athlone Accommodation
    Click here for tips on photographing your catch
    Click here for 2011 results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Are there many entering this year???
    Sad to say the winning fish has probably been caught already.
    Swimming round in a tank on the blacks or tethered down somewhere...
    Awful amount of cheating goes on when theirs big prize money at stake...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

was 151 by last monday i think, well that was my reg number :). but there will be more by the morning, i would hate to think that sort of bolloxin goes on? only way to beat a cheater is get a better fish in the proper sporting way, the winners last yr were a dad and daughter team from roscommon, the ifi will have a good contingent of officers i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Do people seriously do that? Surly a fish could not last long tethered down somewhere??

There are a few from round these parts that are known for that sort of carry on.
    sickens me.
    I'd love to have entered this year....
    Its a revolution in the sense that the welfare of the pike is as important as winning the competition.
    I wish the local clubs would adopt the measuring method and ban the blue barrels.
    I used to be in your Club bay liner and will prob join again in the future, but would love to see more catch and release employed for trout as well as pike.
    I know there are catch and release comps held for trout and its great to see, but I really think it could help our lakes if it was pushed more.

There are a few from round these parts that are known for that sort of carry on.
    sickens me.
    I'd love to have entered this year....
    Its a revolution in the sense that the welfare of the pike is as important as winning the competition.
    I wish the local clubs would adopt the measuring method and ban the blue barrels.
    I used to be in your Club bay liner and will prob join again in the future, but would love to see more catch and release employed for trout as well as pike.
    I know there are catch and release comps held for trout and its great to see, but I really think it could help our lakes if it was pushed more.

ALL trout comps are catch and release if the angler so wishes to do so, the facility is there for the angler to weigh and release the fish at any time in the day,more and more anglers are doing this now, i dont use the barrells i have a diff type tank but like to getthe fish weighed and released as soon as possible, so tend not to be too far from the captain if not doing it myself(which means i just need a witness)

• Advertisement

If more were like you it would be great.

If more were like you it would be great.
    but more and more are :).... anglers attitudes are changing big time!
    we on lough ree would be one of the slowest lot to get into this mindset but we are getting there, and dont judge everyone on what a few idiots from times gone by do... we/most of us want to keep our fishery healthy and thriving, there is a a fool in every county/town/waterway/village etc but not everyone is of the same thinking..... i rem 10 yrs ago telling in the pub about releasing a 3lb trout on a good friday cause "i didnt feel like eating it and wanted to see it go back unharmed on this occasion", and getting strange looks and "whats wrong with you?" etc etc...:D
    mind you if this government keep charging us for the freedom to piss we might start eating more trout again:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 reeman1

pike are far to protected , i know lots of trout anglers that scull every pike they come across and i have to say i wouldn't knock them for it . the place is alive with pike at the moment so its no harm to kill some of them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

reeman1 wrote: »
    pike are far to protected , i know lots of trout anglers that scull every pike they come across and i have to say i wouldn't knock them for it . the place is alive with pike at the moment so its no harm to kill some of them off.

Mod. If i didnt now any better I'd say theres bit of a troll about that.

Nevertheless, locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement