Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migraine Cure

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I know there are so many different types of migraines, but i found a cure for mine, so i thought i'd share it. I gave up tea!
    My headaches used always hit me at the weekend, usually the morning after i finish my work week, which can be different days as i don't work Mon-Fri. With me the first thing i would notice in the morning would be my lack of appetite for food, and then the headache would gradually get worse during the day until by evening it would be disappearing (something like a hangover). I went to my GP and he diagnosed it as Migraine and prescribed me a nasal inhalent that cost €35 a pop. I got my headaches as frequently as every 1 to 2 weeks.
    Just for Lent i decided to give up tea (Barrys or Lyons) and i've had no headaches since which is about 2 months now. I suppose i was a medium tea drinker taking between 4 & 6 mugs a day. I do miss a hot drink with a slice of tart, so i started drinking herbal tea which seems fine to me.
    Hope this helps someone, as i'm a new man without the worry of those headaches.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fredden

PS
    I told a guy about my cure and he said that it must be a build up of acid in my body from the tea, which would build up overnight while i was lying horizontal. He told me the juice of a raw potato 3 mornings in a row would neutrilize the acid.
    How to get the juice out of a raw potato? Well, chop up the potato into smallish slices and put them in a mug. Half fill the mug with boiling water, which will bring out the juice. Then, once cool enough to drink, drink off the water and juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

thanks for the tip, Dunno if it would help me.
    I only drink one cup of tea a day, and the rest of the day I just drink fruit teas.
    But just thought I'd tell you, ya can get the raw juice from a potato by grating the potato then wringing the gratings in a clean tea towel into a mug. loads of juice comes out of it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What you were suffering from was a caffeine withdrawal headache, not a migraine. I get something similar on mornings that I don't work, because I sleep in instead of starting the day with a coffee.
    fredden wrote: »
    I know there are so many different types of migraines, but i found a cure for mine, so i thought i'd share it. I gave up tea!
    My headaches used always hit me at the weekend, usually the morning after i finish my work week, which can be different days as i don't work Mon-Fri. With me the first thing i would notice in the morning would be my lack of appetite for food, and then the headache would gradually get worse during the day until by evening it would be disappearing (something like a hangover). I went to my GP and he diagnosed it as Migraine and prescribed me a nasal inhalent that cost €35 a pop. I got my headaches as frequently as every 1 to 2 weeks.
    Just for Lent i decided to give up tea (Barrys or Lyons) and i've had no headaches since which is about 2 months now. I suppose i was a medium tea drinker taking between 4 & 6 mugs a day. I do miss a hot drink with a slice of tart, so i started drinking herbal tea which seems fine to me.
    Hope this helps someone, as i'm a new man without the worry of those headaches.:)

Hi Locum, thanks for your reply. Interesting concept on the caffeine withdrawal. I'm not sure it is though, as the latest i ever sleep in is 8am. My headaches usually started off slowly in the morning, and I would always have a coffee in the morning (and still do).
    I think my headaches would have got worse then since i gave up the tea if it was caffeine withdrawal, but i haven't had one in 3 months, and don't have any more than 1 cup of tea a day, and 1 mug of coffee in the morning.

emzolita wrote: »
    thanks for the tip, Dunno if it would help me.
    I only drink one cup of tea a day, and the rest of the day I just drink fruit teas.
    But just thought I'd tell you, ya can get the raw juice from a potato by grating the potato then wringing the gratings in a clean tea towel into a mug. loads of juice comes out of it that way.

Hi emzolita, thanks for the reply, and sorry about the slow response. It sounds like your headaches could be from a different source, as i still have the odd cup of tea when i go visiting etc. I try to limit myself to the 1 cup though. I mentioned it to my GP the other day and he said to try going back on the tea and see if they come back, but I can't bare the thoughts of worrying about them coming back, so i think i'm going to stay the way i am.
    Thanks for the tip on getting potato juice.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

fredden wrote: »
    Hi Locum, thanks for your reply. Interesting concept on the caffeine withdrawal. I'm not sure it is though, as the latest i ever sleep in is 8am. My headaches usually started off slowly in the morning, and I would always have a coffee in the morning (and still do).
    I think my headaches would have got worse then since i gave up the tea if it was caffeine withdrawal, but i haven't had one in 3 months, and don't have any more than 1 cup of tea a day, and 1 mug of coffee in the morning.

Sorry, I should have said, I would still get a similar headache even if I did get up, but if I didnt' have the coffee (ie the key component of the cause of the headache is the lack of coffee, not the extra sleep!)

However, if you're still drinking coffee, then it's not a caffeine withdrawal headache. Unless you drink decaff!

Advertisement