Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Eat In Athlone

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

We have been in Athlone for about a year now but have never been out in a restaurant at night. Where are the best places to eat and what type of food do they serve, are they reasonably priced. We have seen some places just before the bridge that looked busy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Here is my list of where I've been recently

Kin Khao - Thai restaurant and is great for takeaway also.
    Olive Grove - bit of everything and do midweek dinner and music, Jerry Fish coming soon and I'm booked in for that.
    Pavarottis & Di Bella - both Italians over by the castle reasonable and good food

Out in Glasson
    Fatted calf - Great food, generally busy so book, brilliant burger.
    Grogans - Great food and Guinness, good value menu.
    Village Restaurant - Great food always leave full and happy
    Manfreds/Chalets - Great Steak I have yet to order something other than the T-bone, doesn't take bookings.

Always liked Mother India and Hatters but haven't been to either in a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

slowharry wrote: »
    Here is my list of where I've been recently

Kin Khao - Thai restaurant and is great for takeaway also.
    Olive Grove - bit of everything and do midweek dinner and music, Jerry Fish coming soon and I'm booked in for that.
    Pavarottis & Di Bella - both Italians over by the castle reasonable and good food

Out in Glasson
    Fatted calf - Great food, generally busy so book, brilliant burger.
    Grogans - Great food and Guinness, good value menu.
    Village Restaurant - Great food always leave full and happy
    Manfreds/Chalets - Great Steak I have yet to order something other than the T-bone, doesn't take bookings.

Always liked Mother India and Hatters but haven't been to either in a good while

Good call there Harry.

Haven't been to Olive Grove in years but seems to be going well.

Thyme isnt too bad either.

However for me it's all about Glasson. Head out on Friday evening and have a drink in Grogans or Farrells (it'll always be Farrells to me) before hand. Grogans is lovely for food but if you want a good old fashioned dinner Glasson Village restaurant is your only man!

If you're staying in town Kin khao is nice. Tom Doorley said its one of the best Asian restaurants in Ireland. He's not lying either!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

I would agree with all of the above.

Hatters is by far my favourite, but doesn't open on a Sunday which is unfortunate. The Left Bank, over by the Castle is good but I prefer it for lunch rather than evening meal - more relaxed atmosphere during the day.

Top marks to the Olive Grove too, great food and service and not too expensive, could easily sit there for the day, location is fab.

The Athlone Springs Hotel is also worth a mention, the bar food out there is really good and there's always a great buzz about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Have to this disagree withposters on The Olive Grove, I think its average food thats over priced.
    I have had a few uninspiring meals in there.

Thyme restaurant is lovely though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hatters clear winner in my experience, never disappointed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What about Wineport out near Glasson? Surely that merits a mention, even though it's very pricey.

Was in the Olive Grove for Gerry Fish last night

Food was spot on and the show was brilliant everyone there seemed to leave with a big smile on there face.

I'm not sure if this is a compliment but the best thing out in Wineport are the Whiskey Sours

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Have to this disagree withposters on The Olive Grove, I think its average food thats over priced.
    I have had a few uninspiring meals in there.

Thyme restaurant is lovely though.

Yeah I tend to agree. Been there twice and wasn't impressed. Been to the Thyme twice and its bloody gorgeous. Can't wait to go back.

Also like Pavarottis and Di Bella across the river. Cafe Mama's is alright too.

Advertisement