Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Intercounties Tri

Options
  • 16-04-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

The Intercounties Tri will take place again on Sat of the may bank holiday weekend May 5th at 12noon in Hollywood lake ballinode county monaghan. Great race in clear lake with beautiful scenery and a fast 3 lap bike route mainly on closed roads great for spectators with great buzz for athletes, this lake is warm and safe shallow and people have been regularly swimming in it since last week of march. This is a great race to make if you are new to the sport and had great reports from last year. There will be practice at the lake and on the whole course the Sunday before the race at 10am and then every evening the week leading up to it

more info on tri muckno website along with photos results from last years race.

hope to see you there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 karl k

The intercounties tri have a full practice on the course this sunday 29th of April at 11 o clock in hollywood lake ballinode county monaghan.

Muckno tri are also pleased to announce that there will also be a kayak option for those who want to be part of the race but are a bit nervious of swimming. Both the swim course and Kayak course have been measured and are equal difficulty/time. Spaces are filling fast so look up muckno tri for more details if you are considering taking part

all the best

karl k

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Did this event last year, and it was brilliant. Very well organised, and a great season opener. The water in the lake is very clean, and you can see the bottom of the lake the whole way around. The cycle is a nice 3 lap route. is quite technical, but also has some straight stretches where you can open up. The run is an out and back, with a bit of climb to the turnaround point, but nothing too serious. Great craic, and a great event.

Not too far away from Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Inter county triathlon where you can run to repesent your own county in male and female catagory.Race will consist of a 350m swim or 800m kayak / 18km cycle / 5km run. This is a great race for early season and is in a beautiful village on closed roads and with one of the cleanest lakes you will swim or kayak in this summer.
    Date : 30/04/2010
    Start time :12.00 midday
    Entry fee :€35
    Chipped event
    Distance: 350m swim or 800 Kayak - 18km bike - 5km run

Hi All

We are just updating/reminding you about the Intercounties Triathlon that is taking place at Hollywood lake, Monaghan on Saturday 05th May next.

Due to the lovely Irish weather we have been having lately we are making some changes by giving all our Athletes the option of using a Kayak in the water instead of doing the Swim. However in order to have the race as competitive as ever we will have the kayak distance equal in stature to the swim distance so no one is at an advantage !! Because we have added this option of Kayaking this will no longer be a Triathlon Ireland sanctioned event. So you will no longer require a one day licence.

The Swim/Kayak will still take place at the lovely tranquill Hollywood lake, Ballinode Monaghan with both Swimmers and Kayakers entering the lake at the same time. For you who wish to take part but has not sailed a Kayak before we will be providing the Kayaks which are two-man open top kayak so don’t worry about your ability.

(Declaration of interest: I am not on the committe or involved in orgnising the race, but am a member of the Muckno Tri Club)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Crane Fly

Thanks for race the other day. Great day out. It really is a gem of a lake ye have there....would have thought I was swimming in the tropics if it hadn't been so cold. If every open water swim I did this summer had such clear water I think I might give up showering. Nice technical bike course...and tough wee run (not exactly the gentle bumps described in the briefing).

Well Done Lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Thinking of entering this as my first tri for the year but there doesn't seem to be many enteries yet on run ireland. Anyone here done it before? Would you recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

mattym wrote: »
    Thinking of entering this as my first tri for the year but there doesn't seem to be many enteries yet on run ireland. Anyone here done it before? Would you recommend it?

Think I'll be doing it, my friend definitely is. He said its a great event, think there were around 90 or so in it last year. Think its not too serious but enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

hoping to do it myself - long time since the last triathlon last year and want to do something so this one looks ok

always wonder when a bike course is described as "technical" what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

MD1983 wrote: »
    hoping to do it myself - long time since the last triathlon last year and want to do something so this one looks ok

always wonder when a bike course is described as "technical" what to expect

Good few corners and little hills. A bike riders course, not just flat out and back.

I noticed on the results from last year on runireland that the swim was 400 metres. Anyone know if this is correct?

I noticed on the results from last year on runireland that the swim was 400 metres. Anyone know if this is correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 karl k

Hi I am one of the organisers and that is correct it was cut short last year due to cold water but it was measured last week and is 750 metres for the 2014 race. Water temp is fine this year around 14 degrees at moment and water is crystal clear. This is a non TI race so you DO NOT need a TI licence. Bike is a 3 lap race each lap just over 6km with 4 90 degree turns and 3 bursts of hills that are no longer than 5/6 seconds long and you pass by transition and spectators each time run is bang on 5km 2.5km out and back so you can keep an eye on does chasing you down a small bi*ch of a 50 meter hill up to the cone on the turn around but a fair run course.

this is a great little race and great buzz about the top guys and those trying open water for the first time will equally get as much out of it

Race starts at 12 noon on sat 3rd of May entries are taken on run Ireland and also on the day

see you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Going to take a spin up to this. Entries taken up to 11:30?

I did this on Saturday and was only my second open water triathlon after Camlough last year. So was quiet nervous getting into the lake but would find it very hard to fault the race and would recommend it to anyone. As was mentioned in an earlier post, it was a testing but fair bike and run course. Will definitely be back next year, next up this year in the Tri an Mhi half!!!

I did this on Saturday and was only my second open water triathlon after Camlough last year. So was quiet nervous getting into the lake but would find it very hard to fault the race and would recommend it to anyone. As was mentioned in an earlier post, it was a testing but fair bike and run course. Will definitely be back next year, next up this year in the Tri an Mhi half!!!

Advertisement