Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Best Biking Roads.

• 16-04-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

It's coming into the summer season and I fancy taking the bike out more for some runs. I had a look at Best Biking Roads and Leinster has 10 routes, 6 are over the Gap, Munster 9 and Connaght 4.

I've to change my lid soon so was going to check the prices here and then head up to Crossan's if their cheaper. The thing is that if I go up the M50-M1 it's so much easier and more comfortable to just use the car, instead of driving the other way to collect my bike and then do the same journey. Someone posted a good alternative route, but I can't find it and there are a few threads of people asking for good routes and there where plenty of replies offering good biking roads.

I'm not sure how it could be organised but would a thread/sticky of good biking roads be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Good idea Del

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Hi Del,
    I'd take the old north road by bike if I was you. Dublin-Ashbourne-Slane-Ardee over to Dundalk and you're practically there after Newry. I've taken this route before and it's great if you go on a nice day-get to see some of the country!

If I was to recommend a nice road for a spin it'd have to be the coast road from Kilcoole down to Brittas Bay and beyond. Far lest traffic than the Gap/Laragh ect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A lap of Dublin Airport was allways a good spin on a Saturday or Sunday Morning.

Plenty of bikers on those perimiter roads.Some garda speed traps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to drive up as I want a few things and have no safe way to bring my old helmet back, it's still good for a backup but I've had it a good while so better safe.

Will be doing longer runs this year so any more ideas would be appreciated. Don't mind which direction and not really planning on coming back the same day. It's about time I made more use of working shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I recently done the coast road (A2) in northern ireland. Loved every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Roads down this way are great, the Dungarvan road is lovely for a spin on a sunny day, the old back roads around Durrow and that are great for a handy spin and then onto the old back roads up to Clonmel, very quiet, scenery is lovely around there.

The old coast road from Dungarvan back to Tramore is a great spin too but just be careful if you don't know the road as there are a fair few steep drops!

Tramore out to Dunmore East is a lovely spin too.

Basically any road between Dunmore East and Dungarvan you're guaranteed a good spin on a sunny day (obviously the coast roads can get mega cold even when it's only slightly cold inland).

Another great road for a spin is a trip down to Hook Head, again another coast road. And if you were heading that way you'd be passing through New Ross anyway so a spin out to Kennedy Park is well worth it.

New Ross to Enniscorthy is a grand road as well.

The N72 between Waterford and Kerry is a lovely road for a spin as well.

Advertisement