Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify subscription (irish user)

Options
  • 16-04-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Somehow I registered for Spotify as a premium user before they decided to exclude Ireland.
    So, I've paid 9.99Eu each month for probably 2+ years now.
    My credit card expired Apr 2012.
    Spotify customer service sent me an automated e-mail to say my next month payment was declined.
    However, I cannot login to Spotify as it geolocks the registration.

I am now trying to recall that maybe I did setup my original registration when on hols (say France) or via a proxy or maybe indeed they just didn't implement geolocking of their login page at the time.

So- so many years on Spotify still hasn't managed to launch in ROI.
    What are my options in terms of renewing ?

—ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

Hi,

Same here - Almost 3 years as a Premium member and they cancelled my account 2 weeks ago , I reckon they are getting ready to launch here.

I spoke to customer service and there was a "flaw" when they initially launched that allowed users to register (via a proxy or whatever) with a credit card from a non supported country.

Fingers crossed they Launch officially here soon

WS

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Same just happened me :(. Here's hoping will launch here soon, seriously missing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

They really need to introduce a EQ facility on it the flat sound is bloody awful (I have great speakers with treble /bass but still its sh*t without plugin), I'm using a trial version of Hear at the mo, 500% improvement in audio quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I really hope they launch here because I'm missing it too. It's so unfair that yet again we're being treated as second class citizens here in Ireland :mad: :mad: They were happy to take my money off me for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

I signed up back in 2009 for a Spotify premium account and have been using it ever since and been very happy with it. Last week they cancelled my card without any notice, just received and email one morning to tell me that the card would no longer be accepted and that was that.

Got on to Spotify support and gave them hell about it, there were no real help whatsoever. They just gave me the cannot accept Irish credit cards any longer line! I asked them why as my money was good enough for them the past 3 years, got no satisfaction at all. I was disgusted that as long time loyal paying customer on Spotify that they just switched me off without any prior notice, considering the majority of users on Spotify are free-loaders I thought it was complete madness on their part, I would have thought that they would have been more than happy to keep a paying customer, I was wrong!!

Anyway after much to-ing and fro-ing and getting nowhere they eventually sent me a free 30 day voucher as a gesture of goodwill and also an assurance that the service would be opening up in Ireland officially soon (which i had read already somewhere else). How soon they did not say, lets hope sooner rather than later, when my 30 day voucher runs out i am back to square one with no options. I have invested too much time and money in the service to this point to move elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When they do launch in Ireland will the content be the same? Or will we have to make do with the same limited launch content that iTunes, Netflix, etc had?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Actually there is a way round the geo blocking and pay for unlimited/premium with an Irish paypal and UK paypal account.

The following steps are how to get Spotify in Ireland today and it works!
    • Create UK Paypal account (use adress/postcode of a hotel/friend etc)
      • Send a payment from Irish Paypal to UK Paypal account
      • Purchase an E-Card on Spotify site
      • Check email for Spotify E-Card Code
      • Reedem code on Spotify site
      • Enjoy and repeat when required

Important:
      UK credit card not required for creation of Paypal account
      These steps will not work for purchasing a subscription only works for e-cards.

Enjoy,need help do ask.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr.S wrote: »
    I really hope my account doesn't mess up when they launch here!

Registered a normal account at launch (free) and its worked fine since, no need for proxies or VPNs, unlimited plays and no ad's. Never given them a penny :D

No idea why that is, but im not complaining :D

Mine was the same but i moved house and then i got the free version with ads, so i went for the E5 a month one and so far so good. I just got a new credit card so i'm afraid to try and update it...

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've used mine in multiple connections/laptops/pc's, works fine each time and i've no idea why :confused:

Another weird thing is some songs are grey'ed out, and its mean to say "Not Available in Ireland" but I can just click them fine and they play :confused:

I am actually considering paying just to get the iPhone support though

Don't.

You can't download the app in itunes from ireland... And it's free to download but there is an upgrade version you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Can you log in via VPN with US/UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Same as above. Credit card I signed up with expired at end of March and now after 3 years of use on desktop and mobile I am left with nothing (I did have desktop free/ad version for a while after but even that now recognizes that I am in Ireland and no longer plays - think I had it for the 14 days abroad setting)

Need to play around with signing up via UK VPN later. Has anyone actually had the ecard solution above work for them? Would be fine as an interim solution.

I was hoping that Spotify would release in Ireland sooner but I am not going to hold my breath if they are negotiating with likes of eircom and given that our population would not be key to their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Arghhh, I'm in the same position. I moved to a new credit card and now Spotify won't allow subscriptions from my Irish card.

Debating trying the paypal workaround above but it's hassle buying e-cards the whole time. It would be nice if they just announced when they were releasing to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Anyone got any ideas when this will launch in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Actually there is a way round the geo blocking and pay for unlimited/premium with an Irish paypal and UK paypal account.

The following steps are how to get Spotify in Ireland today and it works!
    • Create UK Paypal account (use adress/postcode of a hotel/friend etc)
      • Send a payment from Irish Paypal to UK Paypal account
      • Purchase an E-Card on Spotify site
      • Check email for Spotify E-Card Code
      • Reedem code on Spotify site
      • Enjoy and repeat when required

Important:
      UK credit card not required for creation of Paypal account
      These steps will not work for purchasing a subscription only works for e-cards.

Enjoy,need help do ask.

Potentially great work around but it failed for me when spotify went to process the payment, it took me to a paypal screen and said i needed to verify my account with a UK credit card..Irish ones wouldnt work

worth a shot tho

Spotify...take my money dammit!!

Anyone tried to redeem a spotify voucher in Ireland? Think that may work

Still waiting on this to launch in Ireland since I've been cut off... grr
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Anyone tried to redeem a spotify voucher in Ireland? Think that may work

How do I buy a voucher goat? Gimme one!

quarryman wrote: »
    Still waiting on this to launch in Ireland since I've been cut off... grr

How do I buy a voucher goat? Gimme one!

You can buy them in the Co-op in the UK or get someone you know in one of the spotify enabled countries to get one for you and see if it works.

I'd recommend the cheapest option first to see if it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Frankie_Lee

Not sure what's happened, but for some reason I managed to re-subsrcibe to Spotify Premium today. Perhaps it's legal here now?

• Advertisement

Not sure what's happened, but for some reason I managed to re-subsrcibe to Spotify Premium today. Perhaps it's legal here now?

Can you describe the steps you carried out?

It still fails for me as my credit card is Irish.

How did you re-sub? Did you go through the website?

Are you in Ireland at the moment?

Hope this helps:
    Had Spotify for a couple of years. Back in April I missed a payment and was unable to re-subscribe - same as many people here. Now here's the strange thing. At some point I was told that I'll still be able to use Spotify without difficulties for 6 months (can't remember the details of this, sorry) and have been doing so ever since. Same account but with an upgrade button in the top right. Every now and then I click the button out of curiosity and usually get the same result: Launch the upgrade URL, try to make a payment but no payment options available. But today, I was able to select my card type and it all worked fine.

Sorry, I forgot to clarify. I'm in Dublin and it's an Irish Visa card with an Irish address. The payment was made in Euros, the VAT was 20%.

Hope this helps:
    Had Spotify for a couple of years. Back in April I missed a payment and was unable to re-subscribe - same as many people here. Now here's the strange thing. At some point I was told that I'll still be able to use Spotify without difficulties for 6 months (can't remember the details of this, sorry) and have been doing so ever since. Same account but with an upgrade button in the top right. Every now and then I click the button out of curiosity and usually get the same result: Launch the upgrade URL, try to make a payment but no payment options available. But today, I was able to select my card type and it all worked fine.

Sorry, I forgot to clarify. I'm in Dublin and it's an Irish Visa card with an Irish address. The payment was made in Euros, the VAT was 20%.

Thanks for that.

My payment failed 2 days ago and at the moment i'm on spotify free but with no restrictions it seems. I've no ads and can play songs as much as i like.

Hope this helps:

And what do you have your spotify account country set to? (Since we can't pick Ireland?)

Thanks for that.

My payment failed 2 days ago and at the moment i'm on spotify free but with no restrictions it seems. I've no ads and can play songs as much as i like.
    That's what happened to me. I think that only lasts six months.

According to my account page my country is: Country ie

At the bottom of the page it says United Kingdom. Not sure what's going on, but I'm not going to fiddle with anything in case I arse something up

That's what happened to me. I think that only lasts six months.

According to my account page my country is: Country ie

At the bottom of the page it says United Kingdom. Not sure what's going on, but I'm not going to fiddle with anything in case I arse something up

I'm the exact same as that. I'll just keep going as i am now and hope it keeps up.

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Opened up Spotify on my mac and is working, although is the free version - see subscription status below. Will try upgrading and see what happens! Had a subscription which elapsed with an expired credit card.

Subscription status
    You are currently using Spotify Free. To get the most out of Spotify, sign up for Spotify Unlimited or Spotify Premium.

Hopefully this lasts, am missing it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Don't.

You can't download the app in itunes from ireland... And it's free to download but there is an upgrade version you pay for...

Other workaround. Jailbreak your iOS device and download the Spotify IPA from hackulo.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

There doesn't seem to be any more progress on making Spotify available to Ireland :( I hate how we get left behind any time any new technological goodies like this come along.

Advertisement