Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference for job left due to bullying

Options
  • 16-04-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Working on my CV and just looking for some advice on references.

Long story short I worked somewhere for just over a month where I was badly bullied. Dispite going through a complaint proceedure it got worse and after my appeals to management and HR went ignored I handed in my notice and walked out. As a result of these issues and the fact i was only there a short time I left it off my CV (it was my last workplace)

That company has since gone out of business. I hate having a hole in my CV and feel like by obmitting the info I'm lying to my possible future employer. I want to put it on my CV but I'm not sure about the referance.
    There is no company to contact and the manager's ph was a work no.
    What would be the proceedure for this?

I have many other much better referances I can use as I have excelled in every other place I have worked. It'd only be if they request the most recent. Can I say a ref is unavailable for it because it's closed down but here's other referances?

Also, is there anything I could phrase why I left that won't make me seem like a problem worker? I was very good at what I was doing (it was sales) and I was out-preforming my co-workers and clients were requesting to work with me by name.

Really, I'm a very very good employee, in the last 2 places I worked I was promoted to management (in one place within 3 weeks of being there!) and I just feel like this bullying thing is a black mark on my CV :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As you were only there a few weeks I personally wouldnt bother mentioning them,especially if it was a bad experience.

Were they your last place of employment?
    (As in,are their name on your P45?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bubblefett wrote: »
    Really, I'm a very very good employee, in the last 2 places I worked I was promoted to management (in one place within 3 weeks of being there!) and I just feel like this bullying thing is a black mark on my CV :(

How long ago was this job? The odds are that they'll have no interest in a reference from that place if you've two references for more senior roles since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

IMO A CV should contain relevant experience (to your ability to do the job your applying to) only. no one has the time to be reading filler on a CV.
    You shouldn't need references from everywhere you've worked. Just those relevant to the ability to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Thanks everyone for the replies
    As you were only there a few weeks I personally wouldnt bother mentioning them,especially if it was a bad experience.

Were they your last place of employment?
    (As in,are their name on your P45?)

Yeah, it was my last place of work so it's on my P45
    Eoin wrote: »
    How long ago was this job? The odds are that they'll have no interest in a reference from that place if you've two references for more senior roles since.
    BostonB wrote: »
    IMO A CV should contain relevant experience (to your ability to do the job your applying to) only. no one has the time to be reading filler on a CV.
    You shouldn't need references from everywhere you've worked. Just those relevant to the ability to do the job.

It was just over a year ago I was working there. I've spent the time since doing fas courses and online courses to get better at the areas I'm interested in working in.
    Good to know I can give them references from the places that are relevant, I'd be much happier that way and I can leave the place on my CV so I don't feel like I'm hiding something. I suppose if they specifically request a ref from there I can explain there's no contact left as the company has shut down? And then offer my other better references

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

bubblefett wrote: »
    Yeah, it was my last place of work so it's on my P45

...It was just over a year ago I was working there.!

then you dont need to worry about giving a new employer your P45 cos its a new tax year. you can if you want submit your P45 to the tax office and then you start out on something called "week one basis". which basically means you're on emergency tax for a short time

I was in a situation where i inflated my salary when asked at an interview and when i got the job realized that the new company would see my lie, i discuses it with the tax office and they informed me of the above.

I've also left out 2 jobs on my CV, one lasted 2 days coz teh guy lied when he said the position was only for dublin and i say my schedule had me all over the place for the next 4 weeks. I tried to reason with him he said no so i walked. another was a 4 week contract many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you have been out of work for a year ,a one month job on your CV will not fill any holes.
    To be honest a 1 month role on a CV with or without references would raise a red flag for most employers.

Advertisement