Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Year 2 Visa Renewal

Options
  • 16-04-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I've pretty much kept away from the IEC Application/Open Thread this year because I knew it was going to cause absolute chaos. This question and thread is for people currently in Canada/already been through their second IEC Application. I don't mean to be arrogant but based on the state of panic that was shown in the IEC open Thread I really don't want some people commenting in here.

Anyway, as expected after long delays I just got 'conditionally accepted' for my Working Holiday Visa in 2012. Just made the payment and going to be sending through my Application Form electronically when I get home from work later today. I currently live and work in Toronto.

As far as I'm aware, in order to 'activate' the second permit I need to go through the same process I did the first time ie; I need to go through a port of entry (airport, dock, etc). Is this absolutely necessary or is there a way around this? Initially, I was going to fly to Cuba/Dominican for a week or 10 days for a holiday and just fly into customs on the way back and get it stamped. However, my parents are coming for 3 weeks on June 22nd and intend to travel a lot so I was going to put the holiday off until July/August to try and save some money. Now I don't really have a backup plan. I was thinking maybe getting a megabus to New York but then I realised I probably need a Visa to even enter America and then because my 'current' Visa will technically be expired I can only see it leading to complications trying to get over the border.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fletchy

Hello!

I've pretty much kept away from the IEC Application/Open Thread this year because I knew it was going to cause absolute chaos. This question and thread is for people currently in Canada/already been through their second IEC Application. I don't mean to be arrogant but based on the state of panic that was shown in the IEC open Thread I really don't want some people commenting in here.

Anyway, as expected after long delays I just got 'conditionally accepted' for my Working Holiday Visa in 2012. Just made the payment and going to be sending through my Application Form electronically when I get home from work later today. I currently live and work in Toronto.

As far as I'm aware, in order to 'activate' the second permit I need to go through the same process I did the first time ie; I need to go through a port of entry (airport, dock, etc). Is this absolutely necessary or is there a way around this? Initially, I was going to fly to Cuba/Dominican for a week or 10 days for a holiday and just fly into customs on the way back and get it stamped. However, my parents are coming for 3 weeks on June 22nd and intend to travel a lot so I was going to put the holiday off until July/August to try and save some money. Now I don't really have a backup plan. I was thinking maybe getting a megabus to New York but then I realised I probably need a Visa to even enter America and then because my 'current' Visa will technically be expired I can only see it leading to complications trying to get over the border.

Any suggestions?
    Hi!
    I've just got 'conditonal acceptance' for my third IEC. Living in Vancouver. You really only need to go to the closest border. If your current visa is almost out of date the American border officials probably won't let you into the states until you activate your new Canadian Visa. (If you went into the states and couldn't get back into Canada you would be the American's problem then, not the Canadian's)

Anyway, when I activated my last visa I just drove to the nearest border and went into the desk. They take you LOI, passport and within 5 minutes you have your new visa. You don't even need to go into the states.

I also heard that some airports are deemed as a port of entry (as in you can just go to the airport border officials. No flight needed) but I didn't look into that so I couldn't be sure.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

You can't just go to the airport to get a new visa, I tried it at YVR

Went up to immigration with my LoI and passport, no dice

You have to physically cross the border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Yeah that's my problem. I'm worried about encountering complications at the US. I'm assuming once the payment goes through it won't be long to getting accepted. Do you think it's a good idea to cross the border, maybe a weekend to NY, before the Visa ends? That should cause no problems coming into the States and coming back to customs, right? Provided I have all the paperwork, of course - LOI etc.

Smart idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You shouldn't have trouble at the US border as long as you have evidence that you will be leaving the US ie. a return ticket to Canada. Spend a few hours or a weekend in the US, it's up to you. There is a visa waiver programme between Ireland and the US so you are allowed to enter the US for 90 days (even if you enter the US via Canada). If you enter the US by road you do not need to complete an ESTA. If you fly or take a ship to the US you will need to complete an ESTA. Just remember to bring your necessary paperwork for your 2nd visa for the Canadians on the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fletchy

Yeah that's my problem. I'm worried about encountering complications at the US. I'm assuming once the payment goes through it won't be long to getting accepted. Do you think it's a good idea to cross the border, maybe a weekend to NY, before the Visa ends? That should cause no problems coming into the States and coming back to customs, right? Provided I have all the paperwork, of course - LOI etc.

Smart idea?

I didn't even have to go into the states. I tried to go down to shop first for a few hours but the Americans just sent me to the Canadian officials who gave me my visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Hello!

Any suggestions?

Hi There

I received my 2nd Year visa in March and I activated my visa in Niagra. My previous one had expired so I was on a 'visitor visa'

I got the megabus down to Niagra Falls, went to 'Rainbow Bridge' paid the 50c to cross. Went to the American side told them I was 'flagpoling' they gave me a piece of paper to hand back to the Canadian side, so I just walked back, went into the Canadian side, gave them the sheet from the US side, told them I was flagpoling, that I have a work permit to activate.

They take your letter of Introduction from the IEC, ask a few questions (didnt even ask for my insurance or proof of funds) although I had them just incase. Was told to take a seat, and within 10mins or less I was called back up to the desk, and my Visa was printed and stapled into my passport. SIMPLES.

The whole process took less than 30mins, and that was even on a Friday evening.

Any questions just drop us a line. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

orgaz wrote: »
    Hi There

I received my 2nd Year visa in March and I activated my visa in Niagra. My previous one had expired so I was on a 'visitor visa'

I got the megabus down to Niagra Falls, went to 'Rainbow Bridge' paid the 50c to cross. Went to the American side told them I was 'flagpoling' they gave me a piece of paper to hand back to the Canadian side, so I just walked back, went into the Canadian side, gave them the sheet from the US side, told them I was flagpoling, that I have a work permit to activate.

They take your letter of Introduction from the IEC, ask a few questions (didnt even ask for my insurance or proof of funds) although I had them just incase. Was told to take a seat, and within 10mins or less I was called back up to the desk, and my Visa was printed and stapled into my passport. SIMPLES.

The whole process took less than 30mins, and that was even on a Friday evening.

Any questions just drop us a line. :D

Boom. Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Donkeyoaty

Hi
    I am to old for the work visa, though I do have cousins in Canada and can get sponsor ship.
    Can anyone tell me can I get a job and then the work visa.
    or work on the qt anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I have a question. I am currently in Canada on the 2012 programme. Arrived here 5 weeks ago and people are telling me to apply for my second year visa straight away. My understanding however is, if I'm on the 2012 programme, which I am, I can't re-apply until the 2013 programme opens up. Am I right or wrong? I'm getting mixed responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

I have a question. I am currently in Canada on the 2012 programme. Arrived here 5 weeks ago and people are telling me to apply for my second year visa straight away. My understanding however is, if I'm on the 2012 programme, which I am, I can't re-apply until the 2013 programme opens up. Am I right or wrong? I'm getting mixed responses.

You got your first visa this year? You are right then, you'd have to wait until 2013 to get your next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

lindzation wrote: »
    You got your first visa this year? You are right then, you'd have to wait until 2013 to get your next one.

Yeh, I applied in Dec 2011 and received it at the end of Feb 2012, arrived here in March 2012. That's what I thought, just wanted to double check!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

fletchy wrote: »
    Hi!
    I've just got 'conditonal acceptance' for my third IEC. Living in Vancouver. You really only need to go to the closest border. If your current visa is almost out of date the American border officials probably won't let you into the states until you activate your new Canadian Visa. (If you went into the states and couldn't get back into Canada you would be the American's problem then, not the Canadian's)

Anyway, when I activated my last visa I just drove to the nearest border and went into the desk. They take you LOI, passport and within 5 minutes you have your new visa. You don't even need to go into the states.

I also heard that some airports are deemed as a port of entry (as in you can just go to the airport border officials. No flight needed) but I didn't look into that so I couldn't be sure.

Hope this helps!

hi Fletchy,

Does this mean you had your 1st Usit visa, then your 1st IEC visa and now you're on your second? I have applied for my 2nd IEC visa and i'm within the 18 month rule thing so i'm hopeful i'll get a third year.

Would love to hear how you managed it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

just a quick question has anyones first visa ran out while they were waiting on their second year? if so what happens because a fella in my job was given 5 days to leave canada and then send them a phortocopy of proof that he'd landed back in ireland while hes waiting on his second year so he can return.

beano345 wrote: »
    just a quick question has anyones first visa ran out while they were waiting on their second year? if so what happens because a fella in my job was given 5 days to leave canada and then send them a phortocopy of proof that he'd landed back in ireland while hes waiting on his second year so he can return.

Seriously? Did he overstay or what happened? My boyfriend's visa expires in about a week now and we are desperately hoping the LOI comes in in time. We have booked a vacation out of the country, but worried about if they'll let him back in as a visitor if he doesn't have the visa by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Seriously? Did he overstay or what happened? My boyfriend's visa expires in about a week now and we are desperately hoping the LOI comes in in time. We have booked a vacation out of the country, but worried about if they'll let him back in as a visitor if he doesn't have the visa by then...

once he's not in the country on the date his visa expires he'll be grand

you can change your visa to a tourist one online for $75, but you have to do it a month before it expires if i remember correctly - you can change it for up to 6 months of a tourist visa. obviously you can't work, but it's pretty much never rejected by my understanding

Helix wrote: »
    once he's not in the country on the date his visa expires he'll be grand

you can change your visa to a tourist one online for $75, but you have to do it a month before it expires if i remember correctly - you can change it for up to 6 months of a tourist visa. obviously you can't work, but it's pretty much never rejected by my understanding

I have looked at that option - do you think he'll be safe to get back into Canada as a visitor after going to Mexico for a week? I thought we could bring bank statements and maybe even the last letter from the IEC as back up. Then if his visa came in afterwards he could head down to the states again.. which would suck but what can you do.

he should be fine. the only issue is the lack of a return flight or transit out of canada. book a bus ticket to the states for 6-8 weeks after you re-enter canada so that you can show them that he's definitely leaving

it's the cheapest option - you'll get megabus fares for feck all

i dont know the full story as he works on a different jobsite but him and his girlfriend were given 5 days to return to ireland, send them back the relevant info and have to wait for their loi's before re-entering canada hes not impressed flights cost a fortune at that short notice,

in saying all that my mate who flew home for a month or two when he returned to canada asked an immigration officer about this as his visa is nearly up and was told it would be fine to stay on :confused:

i had my first visa run out in august 2010, about a month before i applied for a 90 day extension as a tourist which was granted. left in the december, came back in january with a new work visa and had no bother

when that one ran out in january me and the missus just went to florida on holliers for a week, came in again with no bother. it was then that they told me i can actually get a 2 year work visa through work. wouldve been handy to know a couple of years ago :P

Helix wrote: »
    i had my first visa run out in august 2010, about a month before i applied for a 90 day extension as a tourist which was granted. left in the december, came back in january with a new work visa and had no bother

when that one ran out in january me and the missus just went to florida on holliers for a week, came in again with no bother. it was then that they told me i can actually get a 2 year work visa through work. wouldve been handy to know a couple of years ago :P

so you have to leave for a week or so?you cant just flagpole and come back in on a tourist visa?only sent my application this week am afraid with the backlog i won't have it before the visa im currently on runs out.

• Advertisement

nah you can flagpole for sure, i just took it as a chance to holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

beano345 wrote: »
    so you have to leave for a week or so?you cant just flagpole and come back in on a tourist visa?only sent my application this week am afraid with the backlog i won't have it before the visa im currently on runs out.

Hey Beano,

I was in same boat for my visa, mine ran out in January while I was waiting, I applied for a tourist visa the day before my work visa expired.

You can apply online or by mail, its pretty simple and least you have proper status and didnt over stay your visa.

Then when my LOI came through I just went to Niagra Falls to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

orgaz wrote: »
    Hey Beano,

I was in same boat for my visa, mine ran out in January while I was waiting, I applied for a tourist visa the day before my work visa expired.

You can apply online or by mail, its pretty simple and least you have proper status and didnt over stay your visa.

Then when my LOI came through I just went to Niagra Falls to activate it.

So how do you exactly apply for the tourist visa?:)

Advertisement