Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Broken- What am I entitled to?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

The screen on my two year old philips tv went a few weeks ago. After three separate goes at repairing it, it went again this morning for the fourth time.
    I rang the store where I purchased the tv and the manager( who's been sound so far) told me to bring it in and he'll sort out a replacement.
    Thing is, he never specified what sort of replacement it would be.
    Brand new? Used? Refurbished? And I never thought to ask.
    Just wanted to know what I'm entitled to.
    The tv cost over €700 when new and was a pretty high spec.
    Should he be offerering the same tv or similar speced one? Should I be settling for a refurbed model.
    Any replies appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The screen on my two year old philips tv went a few weeks ago. After three separate goes at repairing it, it went again this morning for the fourth time.
    I rang the store where I purchased the tv and the manager( who's been sound so far) told me to bring it in and he'll sort out a replacement.
    Thing is, he never specified what sort of replacement it would be.
    Brand new? Used? Refurbished? And I never thought to ask.
    Just wanted to know what I'm entitled to.
    The tv cost over €700 when new and was a pretty high spec.
    Should he be offerering the same tv or similar speced one? Should I be settling for a refurbed model.
    Any replies appreciated
    You should be getting a replacement which should be the same or close to the same as your old tv.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods
    Repair

If you request a repair of a faulty product instead of rejecting it, it should be a permanent repair. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can reject it. But if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

Remember, the retailer may charge you for the repair if you have been responsible for the damage to the product.

Replacement

If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price.

You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

Refund

If you opt for a refund, this can be in cash or by cheque, or the retailer can refund your credit or debit card account if you used one to buy the item. You do not have to accept a credit note or voucher as a refund as they are not equivalent to cash. You can choose a refund instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

judging by the initial response, you have nothing to worry about. My guess is you'll get similar spec'd new TV. (probably worth €500 these days with the way technology has gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just to wrap this up.
    Got a brand new Sony tv to replace the philips this morning.
    The tv is the same spec and higher value(by a few euro), so I'm pretty happy overall.
    And to give credit where its due, the store was Cunniffe Electric on the Tuam Rd in Galway.The manager was as sincere, intelligent and helpful as I've come across. And although the television set let me down, Cunniffes didn't and are a perfect example of top notch customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just to wrap this up.
    The tv is the same spec and higher value(by a few euro), so I'm pretty happy overall.
    And to give credit where its due, the store was Cunniffe Electric on the Tuam Rd in Galway.The manager was as sincere, intelligent and helpful as I've come across. And although the television set let me down, Cunniffes didn't and are a perfect example of top notch customer service.
    Excellent service from the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just to wrap this up.

A story like that warms the heart!

• Advertisement
Advertisement