Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE Glasgow Uni 2012

• 16-04-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

I am going over to Glasgow in August to begin the primary PGDE and was just wondering if there are any more Irish going over to do it?
    If so what are your plans accomodation wise? If anyone has studied over there and knows the area advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pipee

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932320

What kind of information are you looking for? I can give you some help with accommodation no problem. I don't know the course, where does one do it? Is PGDE like what the H.Dip used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Catzd

Just wondering what areas in the West End where the University is are no go areas and if it is safe? I'll be based in the Education building which is on Eldon Street and I've been offered accomodation near Cooperage Place which I hear is about a 20/25 minute walk, I was just wondering would it be a safe enough route to walk or cycle alone on. I'm a bit weary to accept the offer as it's quite far away from the college but the only thing is I'll be with other postgraduate students whereas if I just get a flat I will be totally alone!

All around the UoG is pretty safe, I wouldn't suggest going onto Maryhill when it gets dark as I've heard that it can be a bit messy but I live only 5 minutes walk from it and have never seen any hassle (I think one or two of the bigger undergraduate accommodations are near me too).

Eldon street is right next to woodlands which is a lovely part of town, can't say a word wrong about it, nice shops, cafes, places to get food and pubs. Close to Kelvinbridge subway too so easy to get around the city if you want to.

Don't know much about the area around Cooperage place. Think the only time i've been down there was on a run. I couldn't tell you what kind of place it is. It's pretty close to the south of Kelvingrove which once again is a really nice area but it is a bit out of the way even from there so I couldn't tell you any more.

I'd say it is safe to walk and cycle over and back anyway. It is a really nice walk through Kelvingrove (a big green area at once side of UoG), it can be a bit dark at night but I've not heard of it being dangerous. It is quite a walk, 20 minutes is being a very swift walker. Bike is possible. Usually I wouldn't suggest it as Glasgow has terrible winter weather and the roads aren't really built for cyclists the way that some Irish city roads are but if you were on this daily journey it looks like you would be passing 2 big intersections and the rest would be easy enough cycling with minimal road traffic.

I wouldn't worry about looking at different places, you wouldn't be living on your own (unless you wanted to), there is loads of opportunities in Glasgow to flat share. If looking for a different flat try booking a place a month before you are ready to move in. Gumtree is a great resource, you will be able to find people, postgraduates, both genders, some people are picky, some people don't give a flying feck. There are all shapes and sizes looking for flatshares around there.

Cooperage could be a lovely place but if I were you I'd give a look at surrounding areas to UoG too: Kelvinbridge, Woodlands, around Byres road, around Great western road. Look at prices, sizes, distance etc. Glasgow is a cheap city to live in compared to Irish cities so there should be loads of choice.

If I can be any further assistance then just give me a shout.

Thanks so much for that advice! Are you an Irish student living over there yourself? I might look on gumtree and see what I can find, I'm reluctant to accept the campus, I know it's the easy option but it's so far away and working out about £130 pw which is a lot! I have to decide by next Friday.. Such a dilemma!! How do you find Glasgow in general? I've been there a few times and really liked the city layout, a bit similar to Dublin!

Yeah I just came over here last October, doing my PhD in the University of Strathclyde which is in the centre of the city.

130 per week is crazy money, certainly wouldn't go for that. I'm paying 75-80ish per week and it is a really nice spacious apartment in a nice area. About 20 minutes walk from the building you will be studying at.

I really like Glasgow, I don't think it is much like Dublin. Even though it is a bigger city it feels a lot smaller, people don't seem as busy around the streets and it seems less crowded. It feels like as much of home to me now as anywhere does even though it took me about 3 months to feel comfortable here (make friends etc.)

Make up your mind time by Friday is harsh. Why is that?

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking that myself, I wouldn't mind paying it as much if the accommodation was actually near the Uni but it's not, there's loads of nice properties on Gumtree that are a lot cheaper!!
    How did you go about sorting your accomm from Ireland? Did you over and view properties over a few days or did you just take it without viewing?
    I'm a bit of a homebird myself but I'm really looking forward to getting away and doing something different, hopefully I'll like it!
    I don't know why it's so soon, such a nuisance like, plus the room is only a single aswell!! Really don't think I'll accept it now!

I went over for 3 or 4 days staying with a friend a month before I intended to move over. Didnt sort anything out, then stayed in a cheap hotel for 5 days looking at places a few days before I moved over. It was panic stations for a bit as I wasnt finding anywhere but then I found like 4 or 5 places on the last 2 days that were all really nice. Ended up taking this one (was a really hard choice) as it was one of the cheaper ones that was still really comfortable. Loads of space too.

That's great at least you found somewhere, I think I'll probably try and do the same and go over for a few days! Have you met many Irish over there? I've heard there is usually a good few in my course but not sure. Did you get a part time job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ltlt

Hey, glad to have found this thread - really useful! I've got offered a masters in glasgow uni starting sept. 2012 and am also currently looking at accommodation,, is the accomm that you got offered for postgrad?

Hey! Yeah I got offered accommodation in Maclay residences.. I applied for a large room because I'm going to be there for almost a year so I'd like somewhere nice and spacious but only got offered a single room.. the only upside is there's an ensuite! I've been looking on Gumtree and some of the places look lovely, what are you thinking of doing for accomm? What masters are you doing if you don't mind me asking, good to know there'll be a few Irish over there anyway :)

• Advertisement

ah brill, was looking at applying there and kelvinhaugh. I havent applied yet though, hopefully I'm not too late. Was Maclay you're first choice?
    I've have spoken to some people who are living there and they mentioned that its very expensive for what you get compared to other places, but I thought it might be worth it as you'll get to meet lots of other postgrads! I graduated from Trinity in December and now I'm going to be doing a masters in psychology! Nervous although exciting stuff!

Yeah it was my first choice! Think kelvinhaugh is just across from maclay. I don't think Im gonna accept my offer, 25-30mins is quite far especially in winter time! Hopefully I'll find a nice flat a good bit nearer, Im going to be based in the education building mostly, which isn't in the university, so Im anxious to get somewhere near it. You probably wouldn't have to walk as far because you'll probably be based in the uni itself. Do you know many people going over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kep90

Happy I found this! I'm in the same position! Do you what date it starts? I've been looking up places too.. seems like we could save about 3000 by getting a flat, which can also be a lot nearer the st andrews building!

Hahahaha sorry.. save about 1000 :)

heya! Yes seems a lot cheaper and better! Are you doing a masters also? Mine begins the 10th of Septmeber. :)

I'm doing pgce! Seriously nervous.. dont know anybody! I know theres loads of irish there tho so we'll be fine :)

Are you doin the primary PGDE aswell? I had been searching through boards for ages for a forum like this but there was none so I just set up my own!! There's loadsa accommodation around the college it's just a matter of finding a suitable place! I've booked flights to go over in June to look! Where abouts are you from in Ireland

Hi everyone, sorry for not replying, was sure I'd get e-mail notifications on replies but guess not.

Glad to see that ye are finding it a bit easier to get accommodation etc.

About meeting Irish people, I've met loads from the North but apart from 1 guy I met in a course who had been here for 3 years the only other person from the republic I know is someone I was introduced to through friends. Maybe ye will find more than I did. As I mentioned there are loads from the north but that is pretty much as different a country to me as Scotland is since I'm from Cork.

Still though people are friendly and it is no more or less difficult to make friends with people than in Ireland.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't have a part time job as my PhD is funded so I get by with what I have.

Catzd wrote: »
    Are you doin the primary PGDE aswell? I had been searching through boards for ages for a forum like this but there was none so I just set up my own!! There's loadsa accommodation around the college it's just a matter of finding a suitable place! I've booked flights to go over in June to look! Where abouts are you from in Ireland
    Yeah I should really go over and have a look.. Yeah I'm doing primary. I'm from waterford! Did my undergraduate in ucc! I know a girl from dungarvan who's in pats atm and there's loads from her class going! I'm gona try get onto that fb page tho we could find people to flat share! It would be so handy! Haha the money we save can go towards nights out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Craic Fox

Hey guys, I have been browsing the web to see if anyone else has been talking about the Pgde in Glasgow. I'm from Mayo myself and having been living here for nearly four years. The only problem is my flatmates are graduating in June and leaving the city so I am kinda stuck for flatmates. If anyone doing the course is interested in a flat share, I am very knowledgeable on the most suitable areas so don't be afraid to hit me up. I am also active on the facebook page relating to the PGDE if anyone has queries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Hey,

Those of you that are considering university accommodation - let me strongly advise you against it for many reasons.

1) Cost - it's fecking severely overpriced.
    2) Living with unpleasant people - there's a very high proportion of unpleasant people staying in those flats. The flats are often 6-8 person, it only takes one person to ruin it.
    3) They're sh*t. Granted most Glasgow flats are pretty shi*ty, especially the WestEnd tenemants, but the university ones are of very poor quality.
    4) Rent a mammy - you're doing a fecking postgrad. You don't need a security guard telling you you're not allowed bring someone in at night or a weekly inspection to tell you to do the dishes.

Put the effort into finding a good flatshare on gumtree. There's loads going. It might be difficult going over in June and trying to find some. Plenty of people arrive without anywhere to stay and always find some. Stay in a hostel a few days and begin your Glasgow adventure in style! Met some people in a hostel who are very good friends of mine now. It might seem scary going over without accommodation, but you'll be fine. I went over without any, found a place no problem. Granted it burnt down two weeks later, but silly me for living above a restaurant! Glasgow's a cracking city, full of great people and so much to do. As well as being a big party city, it has loads of culture, something it's not known for. Whatever happens you'll have a great time here and won't want to leave. I'm here a year and a half, and even though I found myself homeless, penniless and only the clothes on my back in the middle of the night I've forgiven the place!

Hey craic fox where abouts is your flat? Do you have it advertised on gumtree?! Thanks Elvis for your advice, nice to know your alive and well ;)

So it would seem I am a boards.ie noob. I assumed that since i had no messages it meant nobody replied to the thread.

Anyhow, I live on Argyle Street about ten minutes walk from the Uni. The problem for me is one of my flatmates is leaving this year and the other two have work placements and have to move out leaving me on my own. Ideally I would like to get a flat with people on the course just because it would be great for sharing the load and keeping motivation up, but we'll have to see I guess.

Hey Craic fox, you're living down the road from me, I'm on vincent crescent. I may be moving in September, what's the rent in your place? If you fancy grabbing a pint sometime and discussing it, I'd be up for it. Although from Monday I'm away from Glasgow for a few weeks well deserved holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 etha77

Hey,

Those of you that are considering university accommodation - let me strongly advise you against it for many reasons.

1) Cost - it's fecking severely overpriced.
    2) Living with unpleasant people - there's a very high proportion of unpleasant people staying in those flats. The flats are often 6-8 person, it only takes one person to ruin it.
    3) They're sh*t. Granted most Glasgow flats are pretty shi*ty, especially the WestEnd tenemants, but the university ones are of very poor quality.
    4) Rent a mammy - you're doing a fecking postgrad. You don't need a security guard telling you you're not allowed bring someone in at night or a weekly inspection to tell you to do the dishes.

Put the effort into finding a good flatshare on gumtree. There's loads going. It might be difficult going over in June and trying to find some. Plenty of people arrive without anywhere to stay and always find some. Stay in a hostel a few days and begin your Glasgow adventure in style! Met some people in a hostel who are very good friends of mine now. It might seem scary going over without accommodation, but you'll be fine. I went over without any, found a place no problem. Granted it burnt down two weeks later, but silly me for living above a restaurant! Glasgow's a cracking city, full of great people and so much to do. As well as being a big party city, it has loads of culture, something it's not known for. Whatever happens you'll have a great time here and won't want to leave. I'm here a year and a half, and even though I found myself homeless, penniless and only the clothes on my back in the middle of the night I've forgiven the place!
    Really, it is debatable whether or not if you ever studied at university considering the poor grasp you have over the English language. I'm quite certain you've never seen the student university accommodation the provide.

I've stayed in QMR for one year; its anything but crap. Students have en suite room, quite, normal people whom are friendly.The rooms are inspected twice or three times a year. The housing is located in one off Glasgow chic neighbourhoods. Just look at the cars in the neighbourhood! . However, Window drive administration is shared with QMR. What you pay for is what you get!. I wonder why QMR and the other student accommodations are oversubscribed each year, if its really as crap as you say. Maximum number of bedrooms in a flat is 5 people not 8!. Just shows how much of a sad liar this guy is!.

I've searched over your posts in previous threads your grammar is quite poor, so is your syntax. PLEASE IMPROVE IT!

etha77 wrote: »
    Really, it is debatable whether or not if you ever studied at university considering the poor grasp you have over the English language. I'm quite certain you've never seen the student university accommodation the provide.

I've stayed in QMR for one year; its anything but crap. Students have en suite room, quite, normal people whom are friendly.The rooms are inspected twice or three times a year. The housing is located in one off Glasgow chic neighbourhoods. Just look at the cars in the neighbourhood! . However, Window drive administration is shared with QMR. What you pay for is what you get!. I wonder why QMR and the other student accommodations are oversubscribed each year, if its really as crap as you say. Maximum number of bedrooms in a flat is 5 people not 8!. Just shows how much of a sad liar this guy is!.

I've searched over your posts in previous threads your grammar is quite poor, so is your syntax. PLEASE IMPROVE IT!

You sound like you're an absolute joy to live with!

Let's analyse your post shall we, seeing as you're so fond of grammar:
    I'm quite certain you've never seen the student university accommodation the provide.
    I believe you meant to say "they"
    The housing is located in one off Glasgow chic neighbourhoods
    Maybe you should use of instead off. Also, Glasgow requires an apostrophe 's'.
    if its really as crap as you say
    "its" requires an apostrophe 's' also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ease off on the bickering folks. Keep it on topic or keep it quiet.

Also I've edited your post to remove some of the more unpleasant phrases Elvis_Presley. Everything else remains unchanged.

Hey Elvis, if you are about I would be well up for a pint. Give me a time and a place.

hey, Craic Fox, I'm away on my holidays tomorrow but I'll give you a shout when I get back. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement