Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keep kids off fence

Options
  • 16-04-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

What would be good to put on a wooden fence 4 feet high to stop kids pullling out of it and trying to climb? There is a smaller fence at the other side they stand on but use mine to hoist themselves up.

Would chicken wire be any good. would it be uncomfortable to touch?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Departed wrote: »
    What would be good to put on a wooden fence 4 feet high to stop kids pullling out of it and trying to climb? There is a smaller fence at the other side they stand on but use mine to hoist themselves up.

Would chicken wire be any good. would it be uncomfortable to touch?

Creasote.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A place near me apparently uses anti-climb paint. AFAIK, it's some kind of greasy stuff that doesn't dry, so touching it makes you filthy. I guess it could be a good deterrent, but you might have mothers angry about ruined clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Thanks both of you. But they are a bit messy and i want to paint it. It also cannot be anything dangerous like prikka i am think along the lines of putting a long narrow window box type along the fence about 6 ins from top and growing spiky things in it. But if anyone has any better idea....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

kylith wrote: »
    A place near me apparently uses anti-climb paint. AFAIK, it's some kind of greasy stuff that doesn't dry, so touching it makes you filthy. ....
    I've used it but on the capping on my block back-wall. It worked. I painted it underneath the capping on my side of the wall so when they jumped up and grabbed it their hands got filthy.

I also put it on the caps on the pillars in the wall to stop them jumping from adjoining walls / pillars (their own usually) onto mine. Having been treated to the muck when they tried climbing the wall, they knew what it was. Problem solved.

It does dry out and wind and rain wash it off eventually particularly from cappings after about 2 years but its good stuff although an absolute pain to apply. Figure on throwing out gloves (a must) and brush when you are finished.

I got three tins of black (my only choice) International Anti-Burglar Paint in the local farmers' co-op a few years ago for about €16 IIRC.

You'll need to seal wood with some kind of primer first or it'll just soak in.

I think that might be your best bet. You could always train something like pyrocanthus or a climbing rose up it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

why are they trying to climb it?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

anti vandal paint would be ya best bet.you could always put a sign up to warn them first.a good trick a mate of mine found a few years back was he jumped up and grabbed the top of a fence to check out some audi cars not realising the owner had put carpet grippers on the other side with the nails pointing down.he had quite a job freeing himself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Waste engine oil.
    Cheap, great preservative and they won't climb it a second time.

bbam wrote: »
    Waste engine oil.

And seriously damaging to the enviroment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

paddy147 wrote: »
    And seriously damaging to the enviroment too.

Bur if it's painted onto the fence what damage is done?
    I know pouring it down a drain or into a river isn't good but it is regularly painted onto wood and fences as a preservative.

• Advertisement

bugsntinas wrote: »
    anti vandal paint would be ya best bet.you could always put a sign up to warn them first.a good trick a mate of mine found a few years back was he jumped up and grabbed the top of a fence to check out some audi cars not realising the owner had put carpet grippers on the other side with the nails pointing down.he had quite a job freeing himself:D
    could get prosecuted/sued for that

the problem witnthe paint is that anyone inc me! may forget and place hand on it when talking to someone

why are they trying to climb it?
    i presume it is A because they are kids and B cos it s there

Waste engine oil.

Which is also illegal,contaminates,and you also need a permit to dispose of waste engine oil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Which is also illegal,contaminates,and you also need a permit to dispose of waste engine oil too.

He's putting it on a wooden fence , not bloody drinking it. Have a look at the rivers and industry.....now there's real pollution.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Waste engine oil.
    Probably because they'll be dying of cancer.

Waste engine oil is a dangerous carcinogenic and as mentioned already you need a licence to handle and dispose of it.

The bloody-minded among us might interpret the illegal actions of others as carte blanche for the rest of us to follow suit but I hope the country is better than that.

We didn't know about the dangers of waste engine oil 20 years ago, but then again once upon a time we used to live in caves or trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

A well placed shout in there general direction!
    Higher fence!
    Talking to there parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When we were kids a neighbour used some waxy gunge to keep us off his fence. It just got wiped off on his wall and he had to repaint the house because of it!

I remember him coming round and asking parents to pay for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

how about a natural solution?

http://www.hedginguk.com/pyracantha.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

If I was caught by carpet grippers, I'd be sueing the owner for as much as I could. Any number of reasons someone might climb a wall. Imagine a Gard had tried to have a look over it.

Grease just pisses people off, and I can see it leading to the house being egged in retaliation for ruined clothes. OP, I'd put a triangular or rounded piece of wood the length if the fence to make it difficult to climb, sit or, or walk along.

mossym wrote: »
    how about a natural solution?

http://www.hedginguk.com/pyracantha.html
    i looked at some and they are too short to trail along the top of it. it is 15 feet long. i do not want to have to buy loads of them because the parents cannot control the kids

• Advertisement

15 feet, you'd get away with 2 i reckon, 3 to be safe, train pyracantha along a fence and it'll asily cover that distance.

15 feet, you'd get away with 2 i reckon, 3 to be safe, train pyracantha along a fence and it'll asily cover that distance.
    the fence is 4 feet high and the ones i have seen are not even that high . How do you train along the top of a fence, how do you tack it on to the fence.it is a picket type fence with rounded not pointed tops a bit like http://www.bhgardensheds.com/popup.php?img=fencing2_01

the fence is 4 feet high and the ones i have seen are not even that high . How do you train along the top of a fence, how do you tack it on to the fence.it is a picket type fence with rounded not pointed tops a bit like http://www.bhgardensheds.com/popup.php?img=fencing2_01

obviously you need to give them some time to grow, but after 2 years one of the ones i have is 10 feet tall and has a spread of 4/5 feet either side. cable vines screwed into the fence and the branches tied to those with simple garden twine.

it's just an option, but personally i'd prefer a natural than any sort of chemical painted onto a fence, however quick and easy that would be

obviously you need to give them some time to grow, but after 2 years one of the ones i have is 10 feet tall and has a spread of 4/5 feet either side. cable vines screwed into the fence and the branches tied to those with simple garden twine.

it's just an option, but personally i'd prefer a natural than any sort of chemical painted onto a fence, however quick and easy that would be
    a good ption but i cannot wait two years as either they will have it wrecked or i will be giving them a kick in the arse

ones i have is 10 feet tall and has a spread of 4/5 feet either side
    so its ten feet wide too?

longest braches are yes, obviously it narrows towards the top as i let it grow quite high, but at the bottom it's 8 to 10 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pneireland

could get prosecuted/sued for that

the problem witnthe paint is that anyone inc me! may forget and place hand on it when talking to someone

the answer to that must surely be not to talk to anyone ;-)

bugsntinas wrote: »

;-) brilliant :-)

someone else asked about keeping cats out of gardens and i heard someone say that a nice bit of electric cable along the top with a couple of thousands volts trickling through it would probably sort out both problems - i think that might be too dangerous though or maybe illegal ;-)
    .....and i wudnt advocate trying it out....so there ;-)

You "could" be had up in court for a kid impaling themselves on any glass or nails on the top of a wall or fence.

a good ption but i cannot wait two years as either they will have it wrecked or i will be giving them a kick in the arse

ones i have is 10 feet tall and has a spread of 4/5 feet either side
    Surely anything you plant is going to take a couple of years to fully cover it. I can vouch for pyrocantha being quite fast growing.

• Advertisement

go on.....put the spikey thing up there !!!!!.....there are far to many do gooders telling us how we have to act after some little toe-rag has wrecked our property.....the quicker we stand up against these planks the better.....

Advertisement