Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing grass with bark

Options
  • 16-04-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Have a small patch of grass about 4 m square. grass is a very generous description as it is all patches of moss and bare ground. Want to get rid and put bark in. Can I put the bark over the grass if cut first or has it to be dug out. If so what would I use?

i will be planting there so weedkiller is out as it can get into the soil as i understand it. Fusilade is too expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

you could always put weed fabric down first then bark on top.cut the grass first so it's nice and short.aldi was selling 5mx5m fabric the other week for 2.99 and bark for the same ended up buying 15 bags to make a path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hate weed control fabric. the bark rots down and forms a growing medium, which is fine for weeds seeds to germinate, and the roots run through the weed control fabric, making them harder to lift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A few pics.

The cheap flimsey membrane in Lidl or Aldi wont last very long at all.

Mypex weed barrier membrane will not let weeds through it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Well paddy

Want to do a garden bed at one part of my garden, something similar to what you have done there,

What plants did you plant there in them pictures, I have zero knowledge in plants and shrubs, just want something handy that will require very little work and will stay green,

Seen all the pics you have put up,Ye did a lovely job, did you give your girlfriend any hand in the work or just sit back taking pics :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

shamcfc wrote: »
    Well paddy

Want to do a garden bed at one part of my garden, something similar to what you have done there,

What plants did you plant there in them pictures, I have zero knowledge in plants and shrubs, just want something handy that will require very little work and will stay green,

Seen all the pics you have put up,Ye did a lovely job, did you give your girlfriend any hand in the work or just sit back taking pics :D

My girlfriend did all the work,from very start to very finish.
    She turned an absolute crock of a weedy garden (thanks to the builder dumping and mashing alot of shyte and rubble into the ground) into a fantastic new garden.:):)

I only took the pics.

Lets just say that she likes her gardening...ALOT

I know that theres multi stem birch tree,baux balls (lots of them in fact),evergreen ferns and shuttlecock ferns,giant alliums, and foxgloves.

Oh and lots of bare root hornbeam hedging too.:)
    The loads of other bulbs and plants in there,but Im not a gardener and I unfortunately dont know the names (english or latin).

Im only good for making the tea and taking the pics.;):D

She might drop in here later on and name some of the other plants and flowers.

PS=This is the other side of the garden,where she dug it out,and installed and planted a new raised bed.Planted it with bare root hornbeams and lots of "lilley of the valley".

2.35 tons of screened topsoil,compost,farmyard manure,horticultural grit and fertiliser pellets all mixed into one another and shoveled into that raised bed.It was then watered down and left to settle for a week before being planted and finished of with a 2 inch layer of chip bark..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Cheers paddy, looks well alright,

After seeing all the work your girlfriend done, think i will have to bring back the wife and trade her in for a different model:D

Advertisement