Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Gardening That I Did

Options
  • 16-04-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I know there used to be a thread, but for the life of me I can't find it.

This is what my garden looked like on Sunday morning. You can see the line of shadow on the wall, that's the most sun that part of the garden ever gets.
    before.jpg

I removed the pile of stones in the corner to discover that there was a plastic liner that had been put in so that a stream effect could be had. For some reason the house's previous owner had covered this in cement, and cemented big rocks to the top of it. This made it Very Difficult to move. Here you can see the liner and some of the rocks. It even had little porcelain Chinese fishermen cemented to it.
    tarp.jpg

And... Done.
    after.jpg

Removing the liner and rocks has given me about 33% more ground to plant. I divided my dicentra into 3 (not the best time of year for it, I know) a cranesfoot geranium divided itself into 6 pieces, so I replanted them with the new shoots just sticking out - hopefully they'll get established. I'm thinking of planting that corner with hostas and maiden hair fern... I'd really like some phormiums too... Anyway, I've ordered a soil test kit, so I should be able to make a more informed plan then.

Next weekend I tackle the other corner, and then I'll be painting the whole garden and putting up a new fence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Here's the before shot:
    WP_000572.jpg

I took advantage of the nice weather today and dug up the hated tree. First I undermined it and cut as many roots as I could get my lopper around. Tegan helped by digging in my nice neat pile of dirt, spreading it all over the yard, so that she could eat worms.
    WP_000614.jpg

When I'd done as much as I could under the tree I attached a chain to the top of the trunk and started rocking it. I'll admit to being slightly worried that it'd bring down the garden wall or the shed. It came down with a little effort; hooray for the priciples of leverage :D
    WP_000615.jpg

I cut the branches off, and I'll work out how to get rid of them soon. I don't have a chipper, or any way to get one home if I hired one, but I'll think of something. Unfortunately I cut the wire for the fairy lights, but it could be worse.
    WP_000617.jpg

Now comes the hard part; figuring out what to do with that corner. I'm thinking of skinning the bark from the trunk, varnishing it, and using it to hang lanterns on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well done, you're persistent :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Fair play to you for getting stuck in.

Advertisement