Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3 Class Choice

Options
  • 16-04-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

So after a very long 12 years, finally the third installment in the Diablo Franchise is less than a month away. Good times for long standing fans of the series and newcomers / Blizzard fans alike.

With less than a month to release we now have all the info we are going to need about the five classes and have a good idea of their abilities and roles between the Beta and info available on the D3 website.

So boardsies let's have it, what hero will you be choosing to help dispatch the minions of Hell from Sanctuary this time and why?

What class will you roll on release? 32 votes

Barbarian
    0% 0 votes
    Wizard
    28% 9 votes
    Monk
    9% 3 votes
    Demon Hunter
    28% 9 votes
    Witch Doctor
    34% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Guess i'll start:

Going Monk myself, my most played class in D2 was the paladin by far. I had zealot, smite and blessed hammer pallies all over level 85 and absolutely loved the class. Very dissapointed Blizzard didn't bring them back but it was always going to be the Barbarian returning.

Monk seems to be a mix of the Paladin and Assassin which could be fun to play however i'm still not 100% on it yet, will probably play through Act1 and decide if i'm going to stick. If not i'll reroll a Wizard which is a safer bet!!

For an alt i'll probably go with the Witch Doctor as it's by far the newest of the class choices, a sort of Necro / Warlock mix up and I can see them having some very interesting builds!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Being an altoholic ill be rolling one of every class , probably start with a Barb.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i will go for BarB or Demon hunter. i voted for demon hunter, just because i loved AMA and ASA in D2.

i am considering taking a holiday from wensday... stack up energy drinks, chips, frozen Pizzas, beer and big sign on the door of my office: "FECK OFF CUP! BACK IN 1 WEEK!

well i will go for BarB or Demon hunter. i voted for demon hunter, just because i loved AMA and ASA in D2.

i am considering taking a holiday from wensday... stack up energy drinks, chips, frozen Pizzas, beer and big sign on the door of my office: "FECK OFF CUP! BACK IN 1 WEEK!

The Amazon was my least favourite class in D2 but I have to say the more I see of the Demon Hunter the more I like the look of it. They seem to have a nice few roots / snares which will change up the class a bit. I can see them being good in the pvp arena at end game tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was going to roll Barbarian, but now i think i'll roll a Wizard. Usually stick with melee first, but will go ranged this time. Some of the skills/abilities look pretty cool.

As above though, i'll try all the classes fairly early on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll go for barbarian,Having never played a diablo game before I'm real excited,whats the difference between a demon hunter and barbarian?

I'll go for barbarian,Having never played a diablo game before I'm real excited,whats the difference between a demon hunter and barbarian?

well, a lot. i am not being a dick, but those are totally different classes. barb is super heavy melee and demon hunter is range trap class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I know I will most likely start with a Wizard, as I was a spellcaster in Diablo 1 and 2 but I will most likely try them all at some stage.

Edit: Also, playing Diablo always made me feel like I was playing an advanced version of Gauntlet and playing the wizard will be a homage to that too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

All about da voodoo.

I dont normally play summoner/pet classes in RPGs but there is just something about the WD that appeals to me. Love the idea of battlefield control as mentioned on the D3 site, and the fact that his pets are more about distracting enemy mobs than killing them. Played a summoner Necro in D2 for a while and got bored real fast. Plus the fact that he is ranged means he might be a better character to equip MF items on, if D2 is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Have to start with the Barb, then move on to the Demon Hunter as iv had a lot of fun with her in the Beta... Booked a week off work too :D:p

• Advertisement

CombatCow wrote: »
    Have to start with the Barb, then move on to the Demon Hunter as iv had a lot of fun with her in the Beta... Booked a week off work too :D:p

Bastard!!! I want to book it off too FFs! :(

I kept 2 weeks from last year for diablo3, when release date was rumoured around Xmas. :( now I took 1 week of on march and dunno if it's worth taking another week in may :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bastard!!! I want to book it off too FFs! :(

I kept 2 weeks from last year for diablo3, when release date was rumoured around Xmas. :( now I took 1 week of on march and dunno if it's worth taking another week in may :(

take a long weekend,friday,monday

take a long weekend,friday,monday

It's out Tuesday. So I would need tue, wed, thur, fri off :(

It's out Tuesday. So I would need tue, wed, thur, fri off :(

Ya I know its out tuesday but 4 day weekend to enjoy :D

I've decided I'm definitely gonna be a barbarian,I'm no good at magical classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Based purely on how I played D2, I'll have 6 of each class. It's only right that I try several builds for each class.

As for which class I'll start with, it's a toss up between Witch Doctor and Wizard, with Demon Hunter after that. Never really liked the melee classes in D2, so that has turned me off them in D3. But...it is a totally different game, so they might be decent.

As to which one I will 'high level' first, well I'll give each a run through Act 1 and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

i am considering taking a holiday from wensday... stack up energy drinks, chips, frozen Pizzas, beer
    Mr Bloat wrote: »

Edit: Also, playing Diablo always made me feel like I was playing an advanced version of Gauntlet and playing the wizard will be a homage to that too. :)

WIZARD needs food badly...

I'll play as the Barbarian as I always play as the melee classes in these games. And then complain how broken the range classes are :D

Very surprised the Wizard is currently bottom, thought that would be a toss up between Monk and Witch Doctor with the other 3 classes well ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wich Doctah :D
    I think it's the most interesting so far, but being the same as Dcully, an altaholic.. i'll be trying out everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll be max levelling everything to a point :)

Wizard to start off with

And sure who knows, might be some epic boost mechanic like D2 >:P

Looking forward to this, not long to go

TheDoc wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, not long to go

Just under 4 weeks...still seems like an age away :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Just under 4 weeks...still seems like an age away :(

12 years man, 4 weeks seems like 2 days

TheDoc wrote: »
    12 years man, 4 weeks seems like 2 days

Yeah i know...but i want it now :(

Veruca_salt.jpg

After the demo weekend - I think my order will be:
    • Witch Doctor
    • Demon Hunter
    • Monk
    I noticed the Demon Hunter became EXTREMELY popular by the end of the weekend. The rapid fire ability they get is insane and very fun. They also have some dives and speed boosts which makes them quite desirable.

The Witch Doctor for me was like a mix of the Necromancer from D2 and the Warlock from WoW except instead of dots he throws little critters with short life spans. I played and enjoyed both of these classes so think I will most likely start with this when the game is released.

Beyond that - the Monk was fun and something different. I didn't particular enjoy the Barbarian or the Wizard, not sure why but they lacked the "cool" factor I got with the other classes. Perhaps later on they come into their own. I didn't see any Barbarians on Sunday at all and consensus from people I was playing with online is that they weren't great.

Only had time to play through the beta once with the Monk but i'm glad I did as it's decided my choice.

Played through it with 2 friends who rolled Wizard and Witch Doctor which were my other 2 interests so got to at least see them in action. Won't have time to roll numerous alts on release as play time will be limited so it's Monk all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I didn't have much time to play the beta at all - only got about an hour with it, but have always been most interested in the Witch Doctor so will prob go with that.

Can I ask a basic question actually? I was an avid D2 player back in the day so understand all the mechanics of that pretty well. But haven't really had time to keep up with the development of D3 beyond the basics of the classes. Regarding skill progression, can you "level up" skills like in D2? Or is it just a matter of using runes to power them up? Can you level up runes either? I was expecting to see skill points I could invest in something but didn't - or did I miss something really basic?

And if you don't invest skill points, do you need to make multiple alts of each class or can you not just switch up whenever you feel like it?

Played through a few times, witch doctor is fun but feels weak, wizard was surprisingly more fun that i'd imagined it would be. Couldnt get into monk or barb at all.

Will probably be rolling a sorc wizard on release

i am quite disgusted of digital download price oneu battle.net...

wait for it... wait for it..... 59.99eu... standart edition... :rolleyes:

i have my collectors edition preordered ages ago, but i was wondering how much was it...

no surprise there, Starcraft2 cost exactly the same price as that digitally from blizzard. Ridiculous price.

• Advertisement

no surprise there, Starcraft2 cost exactly the same price as that digitally from blizzard. Ridiculous price.

That is so stupid from marketing point of view. If they would just match the price with retail at 40-45eu, then they would sell a ton and a half of damn game. So many of us would take that over retail version just for ability to preload!

Ah well... Is it 15th already?

Advertisement