Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Donegal car??

• 16-04-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Recently looking at getting a Honda Civic Type S.

See a lovely one in Donegal but after mentioning this to my father, he pretty much said he'd never buy a car from up there as the roads are bad and with little Garda presence they drive like maniacs!!

This is the first I've ever heard of this and thought surely the wise ones of the motors forums could shed some light on this! :D

Honda Civic 1.8-TYPE S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Get it checked over properly and take it from there, dismissing a car simply because of a stereotype is a bit stupid in my opinion.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd be more concerned about the number of owners. 3 owners on a 4 year old car? Ask the garage if they have the contact details for the previous owner, and see if you speak to them. May be a demo car as one owner, and legitimate reasons for the next two to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

....after mentioning this to my father, he pretty much said he'd never buy a car from up there as the roads are bad and with little Garda presence they drive like maniacs!! .[/URL]

Ask him about Fiat/Alfa Romeo and he might come up with some more laughable stories similar to this :pac:

I personally wouldn't care much about reg and stories like that just Donegal is toooooooo far to be arsed to go there for a car. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

A C or D reg could have spent its entire life rallying around fields, even in Donegal. Wouldn't put me off a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get it mechanically checked. Plenty of DL reg cars spend their days driving along runway-grade roads commuting to LK or DL town, probably far more than any physically well kept cars that are bounced around the worse quality bits. Donegal has some absolutely exceptional roads as well as the poor ones.

And there's quite a bit of Garda enforcement due to that perception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

See a lovely one in Donegal but after mentioning this to my father, he pretty much said he'd never buy a car from up there as the roads are bad and with little Garda presence they drive like maniacs!!

This is the first I've ever heard of this and thought surely the wise ones of the motors forums could shed some light on this! :D
    It will (due to people like your father!) be worth a bit less on resale, so be sure to factor that into the price you pay. Other than that, there's no reason to let the plate put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Jaysus she is a big auld bus what kinda power do they have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

heard the same said about Cavan and it's potholes. Personally, I don't think you can generalise. only way is to inspect and take it on its actual condition. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Anyone who ever drove the Barna to Moycullen road in Galway knows thats as bad as anything :p

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Jaysus she is a big auld bus

^^Can someone decode that for me please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm kinda generalising here but if I saw a car with a yellow DL reg I would be kind of put off. Plus its all the way up north so I couldn't be bothered traveling that far unless it was a special one of a kind car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I'm from Donegal and never ventured out of it much apart fom the odd run to Dublin, I now have a job that takes me all over Ireland.

I always heard other people saying Donegal roads were bad but I can tell you they are no worse if not better than a lot of roads down the country

So no I don't think it should put you off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

I'm in dublin and the roads in my area are the worst i've seen and been all over the country.

But i wouldn't buy a car from Dl due to the reputation they have for driving and also it would be more difficult to sell on. The dodgy roads wouldn't bother as these can be found anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I'm from Donegal and never ventured out of it much apart fom the odd run to Dublin, I now have a job that takes me all over Ireland.

I always heard other people saying Donegal roads were bad but I can tell you they are no worse if not better than a lot of roads down the country

Do you drive through Cavan on your way "all over Ireland?" that would tint your judgement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Kevwoody wrote: »

It's not the roads (I've been there and some of them are very, very smooth) that would make me not buy a DL reg car, it's some of the lunatic drivers, donught marks on many roads etc that mean I will never buy a DL reg car (or a car based in Donegal) :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you drive through Cavan on your way "all over Ireland?" that would tint your judgement!

Galway County has worse roads than Cavan by some margin.

MYOB wrote: »

+1 on this, Galway's roads are probably the worst in the entire country (apart from the M6 - that's about the only decent road we have up here), although parts of Mayo would run it close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MYOB wrote: »

And a plethora of D-O-N-U-T-S as well. Even on the shiney new M6. The old N6 has become a playground in recent times as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Most of the donut marks on Donegal roads are NOT made by DL reg cars;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bad roads in the wesht? i wont have it...theres a road in Eastbourne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't buy a DL reg car, it's as if every other modded jap scrap/felt spec motor on Done Deal has DL plates (sometimes yellow plates) and you just know they've been rallied around by some complete and utter muppet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

^^Can someone decode that for me please.

Gods! Isn't that an impressively sized automobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't buy a DL reg car, it's as if every other modded jap scrap/felt spec motor on Done Deal has DL plates (sometimes yellow plates) and you just know they've been rallied around by some complete and utter muppet..
    I would agree to an extent.

That one has painted red front calipers, which is mandatory 'felt spec kit.

Also, a DL reg will affect resale if you're selling outside of DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

One thing jumping out at me is the reg, was this an 18th birthday present for someone?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    One thing jumping out at me is the reg, was this an 18th birthday present for someone?

Or maybe it's because it has a 1.8 litre engine;)? Admittedly 18th birthday sounds more plausible, but you'd never know!

Being from Donegal I would love to have a good rant about being so hard on us, but I can't because yes there is some lunatic drivers up here, but your gonna get them everywhere!

Also another thing to consider is the type of car you are looking at, chances are it will have the ****e drove out of it no matter what county you buy it in

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Honda Civic 1.8-TYPE S

Whilst wishing you the best of luck finding your new car, i can't help but notice that you have made one of the laziest presumptions ever.

Yea, we are all lunatics up here, I can't leave my drive in the morning without busting the rev counter off the dash in first AND second gear. The missus doesn't like it but sure who cares, i'm mad for tar!! I then overtake all the annoying lunatics in front of me (on the inside/hard shoulder of course). I also turn up the radio nice and loud to dull the the noise of my suspension being battered by the potholes along the way. It probably doesn't help that my car is so low that you can barely squeeze a credit card underneath it but its about the looks.

The traffic closer to work can be annoying but the beauty of my blacked out windows is that I can make all sorts of rude gestures to other traffic without them knowing. Its class hi.

Once I get to work I cannot help taking the odd glance back at wheels, admiring my yellow numberplate on the back. At 5 bells its hometime and penalty point collection time as I storm home in record time whilst driving in 3rd gear the whole way just to hear the sweet snore of the Janspeed.

.....so yea, your probably right.. stay clear of that civic:rolleyes:

Honda Civic 1.8-TYPE S

Whilst wishing you the best of luck finding your new car, i can't help but notice that you have made one of the laziest presumptions ever.

Yea, we are all lunatics up here, I can't leave my drive in the morning without busting the rev counter off the dash in first AND second gear. The missus doesn't like it but sure who cares, i'm mad for tar!! I then overtake all the annoying lunatics in front of me (on the inside/hard shoulder of course). I also turn up the radio nice and loud to dull the the noise of my suspension being battered by the potholes along the way. It probably doesn't help that my car is so low that you can barely squeeze a credit card underneath it but its about the looks.

The traffic closer to work can be annoying but the beauty of my blacked out windows is that I can make all sorts of rude gestures to other traffic without them knowing. Its class hi.

Once I get to work I cannot help taking the odd glance back at wheels, admiring my yellow numberplate on the back. At 5 bells its hometime and penalty point collection time as I storm home in record time whilst driving in 3rd gear the whole way just to hear the sweet snore of the Janspeed.

.....so yea, your probably right.. stay clear of that civic:rolleyes:

Great reply!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

PrettyBoy wrote: »

I agree with you 100%. I wouldn't touch a DL reg for those reasons. Alot of stigma is attached to DL reg cars to a point where I believe their resale value is effected. More then a few people have said to me the same thing over and over. 8 or 9 years back I was involved in buying and selling cars and alot of people walked when they saw the reg DL. Sold alot of them at trade prices because I couldn't get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Whoever mentioned donuts in a thread about a FWD civic should probably be given a perma-ban.

Otherwise, I've found city driving is much harder on a car than any other kind.
    Speed humps/bumps are not great for suspension, stop start traffic is rough enough on the clutch and gearbox.

Advertisement