Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Olympic Track & Field gear

• 16-04-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭

Strange request (and I apologise if their are already threads on this - couldn't find any on search), but is it possible to buy replica gear used by our Track and Field athletes? I'm not neccesarily looking for the latest strips, anything that was used in competition would be fine.

If it was possible, where should I go? Google is not proving to be my friend on this!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Strange request (and I apologise if their are already threads on this - couldn't find any on search), but is it possible to buy replica gear used by our Track and Field athletes? I'm not neccesarily looking for the latest strips, anything that was used in competition would be fine.

If it was possible, where should I go? Google is not proving to be my friend on this!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have seen a good bit of the Athens 2004 gear on occasion in Sports Direct in the square in Tallaght but this is hit and miss.

Unfortunately most of this gear is earned rather than bought unlike Football or Rugby (presume there is not a great market in the general public for skimpy running shorts and singlets to make this viable:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

Call into AAI in Santry-sort you out.An Aladdins cave of green and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    I have seen a good bit of the Athens 2004 gear on occasion in Sports Direct in the square in Tallaght but this is hit and miss.

Unfortunately most of this gear is earned rather than bought unlike Football or Rugby (presume there is not a great market in the general public for skimpy running shorts and singlets to make this viable:D)

The stuff in sports direct was as a result of asics Ireland going bust. Stock was liquidated. You cannot normally purchase Irish replica gear, as ecoli says must be earned. I doubt aai will hand out anything I've heard international athletes frequently giving out about lack of available gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks for the responses folks - makes sense that there isn't much consumer availability on this stuff relative to some of the more popular sports.
    Call into AAI in Santry-sort you out.An Aladdins cave of green and white.

That seems like the best bet, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

Got a reply for Ireland Olympic council for anyone interested in getting team gear. If anyone is going to London and would like people to know what team they are cheering for.

Team Merchandising is not available at this time but will be available through Elverys and in our National Olympic Hospitality House in London closer to the Games.

Further details will appear on our website nearer the time.
    Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I dont think the general public should be able to buy replica gear like in football and rugby. Like ecoli says, it should be earned.

However it wouldn't hurt for the AAI to have some green t-shirts, hoodies etc available to buy online. That way fans can wear them and show off who they are supporting at major championships. Last I checked the selection of AAI clothing on their online store was poor and none of it was coloured green :confused:

Good to see something is being done though. Will pick myself up a t-shirt or something if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

04072511 wrote: »
    Like ecoli says, it should be earned.

Misquoting me there I said that it has to be not that it should. Ideally I would love to see athletics marketable enough to warrant the sale of replica gear for fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

You'd hardly go down to the local 5k with an irish athletics singlet and shorts. you'd look like some eejet if you didnt win the thing or come close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I wouldnt ming having some green gear to wear, especially at international events. will keep an eye out as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BobMac104 wrote: »
    You'd hardly go down to the local 5k with an irish athletics singlet and shorts. you'd look like some eejet if you didnt win the thing or come close to it.

Yeah, but no reason to not flog off some tshirts in the same design that are suitable for wearing on the crowd when supporting, or for training use etc. Plenty of GB replica kit available, although I can't see anyone wearing the skimpy shorts and singlets:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/Sport+and+Leisure+/Team+GB+Kit/Team+GB+Kit/All+Team+GB+Kit/27576/ProductCategory.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Amphibian King will be getting in replica gear in the next few weeks.The Asics kit that will be worn in the Olympics is out now but won't have a crest on it.

T-shirts,hoodies,bags and caps willbe available but very little stock has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

robinph wrote: »
    Yeah, but no reason to not flog off some tshirts in the same design that are suitable for wearing on the crowd when supporting, or for training use etc. Plenty of GB replica kit available, although I can't see anyone wearing the skimpy shorts and singlets:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/Sport+and+Leisure+/Team+GB+Kit/Team+GB+Kit/All+Team+GB+Kit/27576/ProductCategory.aspx

Totally agree, when i was in college the Athletics society did it? and sure arnt the AAI are always going on about having no money so why not cash in on it to an extent like everyone else?

*Also wouldnt mind a hoodie or a pair of tracksuit bottoms. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Amphibian King will be getting in replica gear in the next few weeks.The Asics kit that will be worn in the Olympics is out now but won't have a crest on it.

T-shirts,hoodies,bags and caps willbe available but very little stock has been made.

Any word on whether or not this kit has made it to AK yet?
    Also, you guys getting it down in Oranmore?

photo.php?fbid=381998548521402&set=a.234112616643330.67930.234095506645041&type=1&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

photo.php?fbid=381998548521402&set=a.234112616643330.67930.234095506645041&type=1&theater

Presume that's a link to the facebook update (can't access from work) with the photo of the new gear.

Any of it winging its way down to Oranmore folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Presume that's a link to the facebook update (can't access from work) with the photo of the new gear.

Any of it winging its way down to Oranmore folks?

Yes, I was in AK Oranmore recently and saw some Team Ireland gear with the Olympic rings on it, T-Shirts and Polo Shirts in either White or Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5613-team-ireland-supporters-merchandise.html

Just in case this link doesn't work, Ireland Olympic website have put up a notice saying supporters clothing for the olympics is available at carroll irish gifts shop and website. Theres a couple of tshirts and hoodies. Also O'Neills are the sponsors for the Irish Paralympic Team and they also have some tshirts and hoodies on their website. I'll also try and insert a link to that.

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/ireland-paralympics.html

The t-shirts in Carroll's actually look great.I wouldnt be caught dead in any o Neills gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

bump

saw some nice t shirts and back packs on the news the other day, would be nice gym stash

Advertisement