Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Problem

Options
  • 16-04-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi

Basicall at the beginning of March I moved apartment. Closed my Bord Gais account and moved to ESB due to what was available in the new apartment.

Now I have been sent a bill by Bord Gais where I owe them for the last months use by the new tenant due to a 28 day cancellation period. I was disappointed to think a new tenent didnt bother setting up there account.

However I rang my former landlord who is always helpful, who got onto the new tenant who claims they set up a new account when they moved in.

They will forward me the account details.

Can anyone advise me of what to do next. Bord Gais provide my gas still so I dont want a long term problem and they still hold a 200 euro deposit aswell. I feel I should not be paying this considering the new tenant seems to have opened an account.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

when you closed your account how did you do it?

I would assume you took a meter reading on the last day of your tennancy and forwarded it to your supplier?

Did they not mention this 28 day policy as it is fairly standard across the board, i find it hard that they wouldnt mention it at the time you were closing the account.

did you agree with your landlord about your last meter reading? in my experience the account would remain the same and just change the names with the landlord standing in between both parties to confirm the last meter reading or renaming the account and then the new tennant just takes over when they first occupy the address.

I think the landlord should help you get the new tennant to pay that bill, then that closes the account as its paid in full once and for all. you might in the mean time get the landlord to confirm from the new tennant proof of the new account been set up so that you will not get another bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Clubman2012

when you closed your account how did you do it?

I would assume you took a meter reading on the last day of your tennancy and forwarded it to your supplier?

Did they not mention this 28 day policy as it is fairly standard across the board, i find it hard that they wouldnt mention it at the time you were closing the account.

did you agree with your landlord about your last meter reading? in my experience the account would remain the same and just change the names with the landlord standing in between both parties to confirm the last meter reading or renaming the account and then the new tennant just takes over when they first occupy the address.

I think the landlord should help you get the new tennant to pay that bill, then that closes the account as its paid in full once and for all. you might in the mean time get the landlord to confirm from the new tennant proof of the new account been set up so that you will not get another bill.

Cheers Gerry

I didnt get the 28 day policy mentioned to me when closing the account at all. I would understand if no new tenant was signed up to the account then I would receive a bill for any energy used after I closed the account as I would be the only name they have. However if I closed my account and gave them meter readings and then a new tenant signed up would this bill not automatically go to the new tenant or even the landlord whom they have knowledge of.

I have been forwarded the new tenants account no's so they definitely set up an account. It just seems bizarre, that regardless of a 28 day policy or not that I would be billed after closing the account when they have details of the new tenant and they also have the landlords details.

It seems lazy at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cheers Gerry

I didnt get the 28 day policy mentioned to me when closing the account at all. I would understand if no new tenant was signed up to the account then I would receive a bill for any energy used after I closed the account as I would be the only name they have. However if I closed my account and gave them meter readings and then a new tenant signed up would this bill not automatically go to the new tenant or even the landlord whom they have knowledge of.

I have been forwarded the new tenants account no's so they definitely set up an account. It just seems bizarre, that regardless of a 28 day policy or not that I would be billed after closing the account when they have details of the new tenant and they also have the landlords details.

It seems lazy at best.
    Once you have given a final reading you should not be charged for any gas usage from that point as it is the responsibility of both the landlord and new tenant. Obviously the new tenant submitted their starting reading but there was a difference between that and your final reading which is from usage while the property was empty. The landlord should be paying this but most don't. They leave it to either tenant to sort out.

You should not pay anything more as you submitted a final reading and they closed your account.

Advertisement