Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Time Calving

• 16-04-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Greetings all, first time poster long time lurker so bear with me :)

I have two SI x FR heifers calving down the 2nd week of June and 2nd week of July respectively. Both heifers were bulled to FL22 and will be about 27 months old when calving. As I only have had dry cattle for the last few years and have never calved a cow, I have two main questions?

1) What would be an adequate diet in the weeks calving? (Mineral supplements etc.)
    2) What supplies would I need for care of the calf and mother after calving?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My general thinking would be not too let them get too fat, control their condition. Have them strong and healthy but not mud fat.

Precalver minerals 10 weeks before the first calf due.

Presuming your calving them inside, plenty of good quality straw bedding is a start.

Lots if not most use iodine on the navel, although we never did.

Handy to have some electrolyte near at hand, sick calves always seem to come on a Saturday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Do you have someone who you can call on, if you need help calving them?
    You can leave them in a barish field beforehand too. There is no need to keep them housed. Quiet heifers can turn nasty too, when there is a calf to be proteced.
    Most of all - don't worry, it's usually the ones you least expect that give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ladeeen

Thanks for the replies.Yes I should have neway. Just tryen to make sure i'm giving them the best chance to have an easy and stress free calving. I'll be leaving them out on a hilly area in the next few days as they've finished the last of the silage. Should i give them hay aswel as minerals over the next few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ladeeen wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.Yes I should have neway. Just tryen to make sure i'm giving them the best chance to have an easy and stress free calving. I'll be leaving them out on a hilly area in the next few days as they've finished the last of the silage. Should i give them hay aswel as minerals over the next few weeks?
    First and foremost you're given them the easiest calving bull. That is the most important point. Rather than daily minerals I recommend you give them allsure bolus 6 weeks pre-calving. With these in their bellies you needn't worry about the quality of forage they're getting. There is a good clip on youtube about them with a vet called Rogers. Body condition score at calving should be no more than 2.5. The only thing you need to do post calving is ensure the calves get colostrum as soon as possible but definitely within 24 hours of calving. This is usually not a problem though as the calves take care of this themselves.

You're preparing well in advance, I wish I was as well organised as you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ladeeen wrote: »
    First and foremost you're given them the easiest calving bull. That is the most important point. Rather than daily minerals I recommend you give them allsure bolus 6 weeks pre-calving. With these in their bellies you needn't worry about the quality of forage they're getting. There is a good clip on youtube about them with a vet called Rogers. Body condition score at calving should be no more than 2.5. The only thing you need to do post calving is ensure the calves get colostrum as soon as possible but definitely within 24 hours of calving. This is usually not a problem though as the calves take care of this themselves.

You're preparing well in advance, I wish I was as well organised as you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ladeeen

Had'nt thought of boluses, might give a look into them. Although it might be more economical to use minerals when there's only two of them.

I suppose easy to prepare in advance when I've only the two, might b a different story next year :rolleyes:

Advertisement