Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lower PH

Options
  • 16-04-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi hopefully someone can help me. I have a water ph of 8.2 at the moment. My tap water is 7.2. Problem is I introduced some neon tetras without realising they prefer a lower ph. I need to bring my ph down regardless but was wondering the best way to do this. I know you can buy ph down etc but have read the buffers in the water will have it back up in no time again and this constant change in ph can be more stressful on the fish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bog wood will generally lower your PH in a stable and natural manner that's safe for the fish.

It can make your water a little murky though (slight yellow cast in my experience) as the tanins are released from the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

My PH is 7.2 and I recently added some Neon Tetras and they all seem fine so I dont think you need to lower it that much, some people say add Moss Peat ???

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, excuse my ignorance but where is best to get bogwood? I presume as it name implies it has a peat content, therefore adding moss peat, where would i do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Most fish / pet stores will have suitably pre-treated wood for fish tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi hopefully someone can help me. I have a water ph of 8.2 at the moment. My tap water is 7.2. Problem is I introduced some neon tetras without realising they prefer a lower ph. I need to bring my ph down regardless but was wondering the best way to do this. I know you can buy ph down etc but have read the buffers in the water will have it back up in no time again and this constant change in ph can be more stressful on the fish.

What's in your tank that raises it from 7.2 to 8.2?

Neons will do just fine in 7.2 but as others said, bogwood will slowly lower it. KH is more important than pH. KH is the waters buffering capability to changes of the pH, the higher the better as it means the pH will remain very stable.

And as you know, sudden changes of the pH is deadly to fish. Water chemistry is a real head wrecker lol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A digital CO2 injection system is a great way to keep a stable PH level.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Why is your pH jumping up to 8.2. What is the substrate / rocks in the
    tank. These could be causing the jump.

As was already say. 7.2 is fine for Neons.

It is really dangerous dropping the pH. Much easier and safer to raise it.
    Depending on your kh and size of your tank, Bogwood won`t drop it
    down. You might need to add tons of it to drop it down.
    Moss peat is better. Put it in a tight in a sump ( if you have one ).
    Don`t buy compost by mistake.

OK Really confused now, test PH using ow range reagent in API Master kit and get a reading of 7.6 which is end of scale. Test again using high range reagent and get 8.2:confused:Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong?

Not sure tommy. What is at the lower end of the high range kit? It looks like 8.2 could be the correct reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Maybe the low end test kit only goes to 7.6

• Advertisement

Maybe the low end test kit only goes to 7.6

Yeah, maybe it will still show something even though the reading is much higher than highest mark on the test kit. 8.2 seems like the most likely reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

A couple of home made coconut caves will lower PH a bit for you, I've got three in my tank and the fish love them as hiding places also.

Have one coconut cave in there already, must get some more. They are the ones available in pet store's but don't seem to be coated or anything so I presume they are as natural as homemade ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I just buy a coconut in the shop, chopped it in half and then carve a door out of it. If you boil them for about 30 minutes you can get the tannins out of it pretty well, but for the purpose of balancing the pH a bit, I'd throw them straight in without boiling.

I find the discoloured water goes well with my tank setup too.

Just to let you know how I faired out finding a resolution to this, got some black alder cones in Underwater World in Castletroy Limerick. They are reducing the ph as we speak, and look quiet well scattered on the tank bottom!!
    Thanks for all your help

Advertisement