Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV in rented Accomodation / House Share?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would tenants see it as a bonus or as an intrusion to have CCTV installed overlooking the driveway of a house. As we all know break-ins are now a regular everyday occurrence in Dublin. It would be only on the exterior of the property covering main entrance and entrance to back yard. The main screen would be in the kitchen for all to see. There have been quite a few break-ins in the area recently.
    Im trying to gauge what prospective tenants would think of this set up. Maybe put them off ie: (bloody heck this guy is paranoid or there is high crime here or he is a DODGY character)
    i think I would personally welcome it but im a landlord so im biased.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

as a tenant any security supplied by a landlord is a bonus as far as I an see, every area experiences break ins at some stage and I would be happy to have cctv

at present we have a house alarm that doesnt work and will never work landlord wont pay for it to be replaced it was the same in the last house i lived in, so I think any landlord willing to add security to a premises to be acting in the best interest of both property and tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

edellc wrote: »
    as a tenant any security supplied by a landlord is a bonus as far as I an see, every area experiences break ins at some stage and I would be happy to have cctv

at present we have a house alarm that doesnt work and will never work landlord wont pay for it to be replaced it was the same in the last house i lived in, so I think any landlord willing to add security to a premises to be acting in the best interest of both property and tenant

If you have any sort of security device, and declare it to the Insurance company if there is a break-in where the device was in-active most Insurance companies will declare your policy void.

I've been told this applies to burgular alarms but it isn't a huge stretch of the imagination to see an Insurance company denying a claim because the CCTV system was off/broken.

OP as a tenant I would be glad to see the landlord cares but worried that it had to be installed in the first place, it's a bit unusual to see them in rented accomodation, my first thought would be "uh-oh there was trouble here before"

You might be better fitting a burglar alarm, they are more common in houses and wouldn't raise the slightest query if I saw on on a prospective house I wanted to rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Just be aware that there are Data Protection considerations when installing CCTV
    http://dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=242

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Would you have access to the video feed while the place was rented out?
    a lot of people would be paranoid that their nosey land lord was keeping tabs on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Would you have access to the video feed while the place was rented out?
    a lot of people would be paranoid that their nosey land lord was keeping tabs on them.

No im in the house also, Monitor would be in the kitchen :D
    You cant really keep tabs on people if the cameras are just covering the access points can ya, Apart from who comes and goes. They would be up High also.
    The cameras can be viewed online. I was thinking to give them the codes so if they had any interest or so inclined they could view online too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre not wrong that it would scream to potential tentants the place is in a high crime area, but Im sure if the tenants have done any research they will know anyway that there have been a lot of break-ins in the area. Personally its not something that I would be against as I have a car that is rather desirable to scumbags so any extra security is welcomed. I can see it putting some people off though.

Advertisement