Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecology/environmental biology

Options
  • 16-04-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there, I am just wondering if anyone knows the difference between an ecology degree and an environmental biology degree. Can you do the same things with both degrees.

Comments

Well I'm NO expert, but I would say you could do very similar things with those degrees, although obviously they would have different strengths.

I'm doing Plant Science at the moment, and I would share ecology classes with people doing Environmental Science. As far as I can see, Ecology focuses on the dynamics within ecosystems whereas Environmental studies would focus more on human influence. But both would share many aspects and would incorporate each other. You can't understand an environmental issue without having information about the ecology of it, whereas an ecological issue would be influenced by environmental factors.

You should probably consult the degree descriptions in the prospectus for the courses you're looking at in order to gain a better view on it.

Advertisement