Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional mining jobs...

Options
  • 16-04-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

I'm headed to Sydney mid August and I'm thinking about doing the regional work first to get it out of the way. Would anyone be able to tell me, or point me to the right thread, is there any specific website that advertises regional work? I'd rather avoid fruit picking to be honest if that's possible, so it looks like mining is the only other option, but I've no experience whatsoever, not even labouring experience. Is it realistic to expect to get this kind of work? Is it even reasonably paid? I've heard stories of lads saving 1000's working in mines, but it seems like bollocks a lot of the time. All I'd be looking to do is get the regional work done and save a small bit of cash. I've had a look around on Seek, but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot there for labouring/low skilled work to be honest. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

For every low skilled or labouring job in the mines, there's about a thousand applicants.

It's not 'fruit picking or mines' either. Search this forum - there's a long list of accepted jobs and industries, and a long list of accepted postcodes. Get a job on the list in a postcode on the list and stick at it for 88 days and you've got your requirements ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

token101 wrote: »
    I'm headed to Sydney mid August and I'm thinking about doing the regional work first to get it out of the way. Would anyone be able to tell me, or point me to the right thread, is there any specific website that advertises regional work? I'd rather avoid fruit picking to be honest if that's possible, so it looks like mining is the only other option, but I've no experience whatsoever, not even labouring experience. Is it realistic to expect to get this kind of work? Is it even reasonably paid? I've heard stories of lads saving 1000's working in mines, but it seems like bollocks a lot of the time. All I'd be looking to do is get the regional work done and save a small bit of cash. I've had a look around on Seek, but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot there for labouring/low skilled work to be honest. Thanks in advance.
    To be honest there is probably as much chance of it snowing in sydney in august than getting a job in the mines on a whv with no experience or qualifications and no experience, working at anything in australia. I work in a mine and the majority of the guys that work here are either Australians or permanent residents. Think I've met about 5 other irish lads in 10 months on the job. It is highly paid work and you can save alot of money so you can believe some of the stories. You may be able to get a labouring job or farmwork which will qualify for the 2nd year visa so fruit picking isn't the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

aido79 wrote: »
    To be honest there is probably as much chance of it snowing in sydney in august than getting a job in the mines on a whv with no experience or qualifications and no experience, working at anything in australia. I work in a mine and the majority of the guys that work here are either Australians or permanent residents. Think I've met about 5 other irish lads in 10 months on the job. It is highly paid work and you can save alot of money so you can believe some of the stories. You may be able to get a labouring job or farmwork which will qualify for the 2nd year visa so fruit picking isn't the only option.

Aido is right, i work on "the mines" as well, the only way a WHV'r could get a job would be to get sent up here by a Perth based construction company. However the cost of training you to even allow entry to site (10-15k) means that as long as i have been here i have never met a WHV'r.
    Not surprising either when you consider some aussies and kiwis (all permanent residents obviously) are prepared to pay their own flights all the way from New Zealand/Brisbane/Sydney etc every month for the opportunity to work in a mine and earn the big money.
    Some of the guys i work with (superintendents/managers) are on $1500 a day before tax (seriously!), PR and a skill in demand are the only way to go.
    No doubt there are some rags to riches stories out there, Mick from the farm straight onto $300,000 a year etc but i've yet to actually meet "Mick".
    Note also, lots of mines are close to inaccessible full stop, i.e fly to rural airport, fly charter flight to dirt airstrip, then 4wd 200km to the mine, turning up at gate looking for a job is likely to see you airlifted back to perth in a straitjacket!
    You could look at moving to a small rural town and picking up local construction work or similar maybe for a change...?
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Whats the job scene like for lab based personnel and what kind of money would they make working on the mines, I have loads of pharma experience working in a QC Lab testing and sampling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

Whats the job scene like for lab based personnel and what kind of money would they make working on the mines, I have loads of pharma experience working in a QC Lab testing and sampling etc

I would excpect something in excess of $200k pa

Professional mining job seekers should submit resumes through the appropriate channels though. Try seek.

Less qualified most likely won't get a call back from job applications. You need to just turn up and wait your turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Unless you have specific experience and the right contacts you have no chance of getting a 'start' in the mines on a WHV particularly for unskilled labouring jobs. The only people i have heard of getting work in the mines on a WHV are engineers/QS's with specific experience in heavy civils who are then sponsored but its not that common. It costs a company about 10k in training in Perth before they are even allowed to mobilise someone to a minesite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It costs a company about 10k in training in Perth before they are even allowed to mobilise someone to a minesite.

I heard it was closer to $18K inc medicals & tickets but that might be a case of site specific.

supp wrote: »
    I would excpect something in excess of $200k pa

For a mineral geologist yes, for a pharma lab Tech I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Many people seem to forget that construction counts as regional work, and of course farming. Look at tillage farming work, there's always loads of people doing that for their regional. Also, I know a few people doing dairy farming in east victoria, try ringing up working hostels.

Screw fruit picking, it's a joke. Stay a mile clear from anything which doesnt offer an hourly rate as those bin rates mean you could put in a 10hr day and come away with less than $100, take it from someone who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Just pointing out that the others are right, chances of you getting into a mine in an unskilled position are slim enough.

A mate of mine who is also a diesel mechanic is up on an FMG mine site working for a subbie so it is not unheard of. I know others personally who also have been on site but all without exception are in with subbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Would there be any jobs for plumbers in the mines?my brother in law knows one of the head foremen in the mines in mount isa,he might be able to get me in on a 457 visa:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

The above posts have more or less covered it all.

Unless you have contacts, get the idea of working in a mine out of your mind.

I was incredibly lucky I landed a job with a mining contractor driving an excavator in an open cut mine but it's a once in a million chance!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 8loopy8

Flyer1 wrote: »

I was incredibly lucky I landed a job with a mining contractor driving an excavator in an open cut mine but it's a once in a million chance!

your the exception dont be turnin lads off it man .. if ye want it bad enough youll get in driving a dump truck or excavator im heading over september gona do everything in my power to get in to a job in the mines driving .. if ye want in youll get in dont mind forums like these ppl fulla clowns get in there and do it youll get it if you want it bad enuf like anin

from life experiances in life

8loopy8 wrote: »
    Flyer1 wrote: »

your the exception dont be turnin lads off it man .. if ye want it bad enough youll get in driving a dump truck or excavator im heading over september gona do everything in my power to get in to a job in the mines driving .. if ye want in youll get in dont mind forums like these ppl fulla clowns get in there and do it youll get it if you want it bad enuf like anin

Let us know how you get on.....we'll see who the clown is then. Make sure you do a spell check when you're doing your CV...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

8loopy8 wrote: »

No you won't. Perth is packed with people now who go there solely to work in the mines. There's only so many jobs up there. Unless you have a decent skill/trade (Geologist/Engineer etc) the chances of you coming over on a WHV and getting a job in the mines is very very low. Why should they bother hiring someone they'd have to pay to sponsor when they can just hire any of the 1000's of Kiwi's or Aussies who they don't have to do that for.

People do get into the mines on a WHV, I've met some of them, but unless you know someone or you have a highly sought skill/trade, the chances of you getting an unskilled labour job are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Frisbee wrote: »
    No you won't. Perth is packed with people now who go there solely to work in the mines. There's only so many jobs up there. Unless you have a decent skill/trade (Geologist/Engineer etc) the chances of you coming over on a WHV and getting a job in the mines is very very low. Why should they bother hiring someone they'd have to pay to sponsor when they can just hire any of the 1000's of Kiwi's or Aussies who they don't have to do that for.

People do get into the mines on a WHV, I've met some of them, but unless you know someone or you have a highly sought skill/trade, the chances of you getting an unskilled labour job are slim.
    What you just posted needs to be stuck up on Billboards at home.

Yeah instead RTE mentions that there is a mining boom and everyone is packing their mammys coal bucket & shovel ready to a bit of 'mining'

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dommy

I don't think it's half as hopeless as the previous posts indicate, search for "field assistant" and "field technician" jobs on seek. Recruiters are also an option. The jobs don't have to be in the mines, there's a huge amount of exploration going on at the moment, a lot of these jobs might just require you to cook and drive. Geophysics jobs and assisting geologists as well as soil sampling are all jobs that can be taught quickly, get a senior first aid course and a 4x4 course can't hurt either.

The pay is between $250-$400 per day for this kind of work; working anywhere between 5 to 50 days consecutively depending on the company and type of job.

Dommy wrote: »
    I don't think it's half as hopeless as the previous posts indicate, search for "field assistant" and "field technician" jobs on seek. Recruiters are also an option. The jobs don't have to be in the mines, there's a huge amount of exploration going on at the moment, a lot of these jobs might just require you to cook and drive. Geophysics jobs and assisting geologists as well as soil sampling are all jobs that can be taught quickly, get a senior first aid course and a 4x4 course can't hurt either.

The pay is between $250-$400 per day for this kind of work; working anywhere between 5 to 50 days consecutively depending on the company and type of job.

What is your reason for thinking this. The first thing a company will look at is your visa. If you're on a working holiday visa your cv has a fairly good chance of ending up in the big round filing cabinet. If it was as easy as doing a couple of 1 day courses and applying for a job don't you think everyone would be doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dommy

It's the nature of the work, especially with exploration companies and smaller mines. It's unpredictable when will be busy and when will be quiet so a lot of the time these companies need to hire a lot of labour quickly. As regards being on a Work Holiday Visa, a few of us were told employers like hiring backpackers as they're "hungry for work". Four of us all headed to Perth last year to get this kind of work and got jobs at four different companies between us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

I'm heading over to nz or aus in the next month and have heard the stories about nice money from the mining companies so it's very interesting.

From what I read on this thread they would rather take on people who aren't on WHV's. I was born over in nz and moved to Ireland when I was 10 so I have a kiwi passport. However I don't have any experience in trade etc, would their be any chance of myself getting work in the mines since I don't need any visa?

Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    so I have a kiwi passport.

Use it for all its worth, it will open up more doors than any other Passport in regards to working and residing in Australia.

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    I'm heading over to nz or aus in the next month and have heard the stories about nice money from the mining companies so it's very interesting.

From what I read on this thread they would rather take on people who aren't on WHV's. I was born over in nz and moved to Ireland when I was 10 so I have a kiwi passport. However I don't have any experience in trade etc, would their be any chance of myself getting work in the mines since I don't need any visa?

Any help would be appreciated :)

If you have an NZ passport you still need a visa called a SCV, but this is as good as Australian PR (except no Medicare). Jobs wise you beat a WHV hands down any day, make sure you tell them your a kiwi or they might think you are another WHV

Advertisement