Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intermittant Fasting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

i find the same thing with the earlier the fast is broken the higher the chance itll be a bad day!

So I stick hard to not eat til 1pm, then eat lunch, not even hungry when Im eating dinner again at 6. Stuffed for the evening. Happy days.

Its getting over those urges at 10-11am that is the key for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i find the same thing with the earlier the fast is broken the higher the chance itll be a bad day!

So I stick hard to not eat til 1pm, then eat lunch, not even hungry when Im eating dinner again at 6. Stuffed for the evening. Happy days.

Its getting over those urges at 10-11am that is the key for me!

I know what ya mean I did have bad eating habits too, its so easy to slip and the diet goes out the window. just get straight back onto it, what I find works is when im hungry and have a craving I have a pint of water. I find havin it with a slice or 2 of lemon is great and its adds the flavour. either that or a black coffee. i'm having a really good month just hope I keep it up, i want to drink tomorrow night though i'll try stay strong :) ah sure vodka & mi-wadi wont be as bad as beer if i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I’m not eating surplus is because my main aim is to lose fat, so I’m cutting.
    Noticed quite a few people mentioned that do 24hr fasts every so often. Can I ask what is the advantage of this?

Also, what would be the best way to fit it in? My eating period is typically from 1pm-9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

superfrank wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I’m not eating surplus is because my main aim is to lose fat, so I’m cutting.
    Noticed quite a few people mentioned that do 24hr fasts every so often. Can I ask what is the advantage of this?

Also, what would be the best way to fit it in? My eating period is typically from 1pm-9pm.

If your main aim is to lose fat I would definitely do a cut first.

I'm assuming doing a 24 hour fast forces your body to use your excess fat for fuel. Maybe the lads who do it would be best to answer that question. Also Dr. Michael Mosley talked about how a fast can reset your IGF-1. I'm not even going to try and explain all that, so you can have a read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

http://thefastdiet.co.uk

the BBC documentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

If you wanted to do it, just fit it in on one of your rest days or a day on the weekend. Up to you really.

There was also a few threads on boards about the 5/2 diet and different variations of IF so a thread search should find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Hanley wrote: »
    REALLY struggling to hack 18/6 this time. Removed my morning coffee with cream and am SERIOUSLY suffering...

I drink a ground decaf in the morning with a small amount of milk. Only dairy I have. Tastes the same and fulfills my need for coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

+20% day
    Trying to plan it out carefully, but part of me is simply saying "its deadlift day, nyom nyom nyom"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ant11 wrote: »
    If your main aim is to lose fat I would definitely do a cut first.

I'm assuming doing a 24 hour fast forces your body to use your excess fat for fuel. Maybe the lads who do it would be best to answer that question. Also Dr. Michael Mosley talked about how a fast can reset your IGF-1. I'm not even going to try and explain all that, so you can have a read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

http://thefastdiet.co.uk

the BBC documentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

If you wanted to do it, just fit it in on one of your rest days or a day on the weekend. Up to you really.

There was also a few threads on boards about the 5/2 diet and different variations of IF so a thread search should find them.

5:2 diet. That sounds like my sorta thing.

5:2 diet. That sounds like my sorta thing.

Only 600cals on 2 of the days. You'd be fcuked with the amount of training you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Only 600cals on 2 of the days. You'd be fcuked with the amount of training you do.

his sheers stubbornness alone would get him through it.

although anyone who is friends with him on FB may need to hide his updates for these 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I recommended this to a friend last week looking to cut a few pounds and met him there at the shop and he was grumpy as **** :pac: lost 3 pounds all the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I really don't train that much!!!

I really don't train that much!!!

Sure try the 5:2 and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I recommended this to a friend last week looking to cut a few pounds and met him there at the shop and he was grumpy as **** :pac: lost 3 pounds all the same though.

jeebus dont be telling people your fasting to lose weight, they'll stick you on a ship and expect you to fall of the edge of the world!! Well not really but i know from my own xp that IF works...but i keep it to myself, explaining it to someone who doesnt want to belive is a tough ask!!

xgtdec wrote: »
    jeebus dont be telling people your fasting to lose weight, they'll stick you on a ship and expect you to fall of the edge of the world!! Well not really but i know from my own xp that IF works...but i keep it to myself, explaining it to someone who doesnt want to belive is a tough ask!!

He's only 300lkcals less then maintenance so it's more of a cut. He said he'd try anything cause he had failed on everything else and this seems to be working bar the moody c*ntishness:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

One of my new favourite IF meals:

5 eggs
    Vanilla Casien powder x2 scoops
    100ml milk
    Cinnamon

Mix, fry, Enjoy with honey.

At the moment mine is
    5 eggs
    2 scoops phd diet whey
    50g oats
    handful raw cashews

blended and cooked up like pancakes...awesome!!

Ive been know to have some waldon farms caramel syrup with these....

I've been told the link on the first page no longer works.

Here is the spreadsheet re uploaded

http://www.4shared.com/office/3geEKvwK/How_to_Calculate_Your_Leangain.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Going to be giving this a go again, a solid go!

ferike1 Ill be using your xcel like a bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

At the moment mine is
    5 eggs
    2 scoops phd diet whey
    50g oats
    handful raw cashews

Im going to have these Sun morning before my match. Sound delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

At the moment mine is
    5 eggs
    2 scoops phd diet whey
    50g oats
    handful raw cashews

Im going to have these Sun morning before my match. Sound delicious.

• Advertisement

any pictures of those? They sound unreal!

any pictures of those? They sound unreal!

no pics im afraid, i have shoulders left to do this week and this could be my post meal, ill take some snaps as i cook!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yesbuddie

I'm trying to do a cut on IF.

Anyone have any good recipes similar to the above for cutting?

Also, how are people getting their carbs in? I use white rice but I know it's not the beds

fruit for my carbs.

And the odd sweet potato.

At the moment mine is
    5 eggs
    2 scoops phd diet whey
    50g oats
    handful raw cashews

Made these today - Unreal!!!!

Didn't use cashew nuts but used cinnamon..very nice!!

Are these good for the cut? How many calories are these?

Had a look in the press, all I have is Mint flavour or Raspberry flavour whey....

Hmmmmmmm.... neither sound like theyd be great!

Back on IF this week, and losing water weight straight away. Down 2lbs in 5 days!

While its obviously not losing fat, it does help with definition

yesbuddie wrote: »

Are these good for the cut? How many calories are these?

No idea on calories..im not a counter

These are my way of having something nice and tasty post workout...but only post workout, i wouldnt be eating these on a daily basis!!

is it unflavoured whey you were using yeah?

its white chocolate flavour...i cant imagine how grim these are with unflavoured!!

• Advertisement

White chocolate eh??

pretty much my favourite flavour.

have never seen white chocolate whey before. Whered you get it? brand name etc if ya dont mind :D

Its phd diet whey, from un sports nutrition. You can get a range of dressing there too.

Anyone know how much calories, fat, protein, carbs I should attribute to a regular sized egg?

I'm trying to calculate what kind of nutrition is in the above pancakes.

You couldnt use google?

This is the best site Ive found. (also first on google!)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/117/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Back on the IF today, giving the Renegade Diet a go.

Or just use the spreadsheet?

Standard egg size - Yolk = approx 20gs, White = 30gs which is 0.2 and 0.3 on the spreadsheet respectively.

• Advertisement

yesbuddie wrote: »
    Anyone know how much calories, fat, protein, carbs I should attribute to a regular sized egg?

I'm trying to calculate what kind of nutrition is in the above pancakes.

Do eggs not come with nutritional info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Iron science does white chocolate whey too, quite tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Iron science does white chocolate whey too, quite tasty

What :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

just broke a 40hr fast there and wondering what this meal is like to break a fast as i've been eating it a fair bit of late or similar

(goals are for fat-loss, and toning up. started to hit the weights hard from 3 weeks ago as have dropped a couple of stone through cardio + diet in the last year)

It was first time doing a long fast in a few weeks but I have kept to 20-24hr ones but I felt I needed a big one again I did a weights session just before breaking the fast and did it for over an hour, that was tough during being fasted but had a black coffee before it to get me going...

Post-workout - 2 scoop whey with water and banana

half an hour later then 5 ryvita crackers (aldi style) with a tina of tuna with cottage cheese, iceberg lettuce and for this time which I rarely do is add some chedder cheese for more flavour but I generally just leave it as cottage.

another half an hour later half a bag of cashews aldi syle. so 75g. I usally would have 50g but im upping the calorie intake as Ill only get 1 smaller meal in a while before college.

instead of tuna I recently added tinned salmon to diet, and id normally have chicken or turkey breast slices or eggs for variety.

ive cut back bigtime on bread but have wholemeal pittas if having it at weekend or the odd time and use the crackers as they are low carb _+ low calories

sorry for the long post just wondering if the post workout meal can be tweaked better..cheers

• Advertisement

No eating for two days nearly? :eek:

No eating for two days nearly? :eek:

yep its a bit of extreme but its not as bad as it seems..for instance, last meal would be between 8-10pm say on a Monday night and then next meal is lunch time Wednesday, so there are 2 sleeps thrown in there.. so really its going a whole day without anything. I find the 20-24hr ones better

• Registered Users Posts: 15 deebag14

Back on the IF today, giving the Renegade Diet a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Started IF last week - hadn't properly set out my macros, just wanted to see how I could handle the timing of the food.

Am doing around a 18/6 fast - start eating around 16:00 and finish around the 22:00/22:30 mark (I train until 21:30, need to eat afterwards).

My macros look as follows:

(3 days) Rest - 226g Protein, 99g Carb, 77g Fat = 1980 Kcals
    (4 days) Workout - 186g Protein, 318g Carb, 57g Fat = 2540 Kcals

I'm wondering if it seems high, will eat at this for 2 weeks and then look to adjust if needs be!

It's days like these I really love intermittant fasting!

Today was IF cheat day - Entire Box of Froot loops + crap ton of milk. Hazel nuts mixed with Nutella. 6 kinder bars.

Weight is all time low of 81.5kgs down from 88/89 in January. Lifts are either up or have remained the same so no loss of strength!

Been doing it for well over a year now! Once the MH comp is over I will start a slow lean gains bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I usually just cycle carbs and calories to shed body fat but im thinking of giving this diet a chance. Im currently 11 % body fat at 76kg and im looking to drop down to 8 or 9 % really just for my ab's to show.

Iv got a few questions if anyone witn IF experience can answer them id appreciate it a lot.

1. Is the increase of your HGH level significant enough to actually make any kind of increased muscle building gains during a future bulk when i reach my target body fat %?

2. Would an amino acid supplement or caffeine intake say from a pre workout/zero energy drink/black coffee be considered as breaking your fast?

3. Is it true that when you break your fast carb control isnt that much of an issue as long as you stay in your calorie deficit? Like you could safely spike your insulin levels and continue to burn body fat...

4. Is an 18 hour fast and 6 hour eating window too ambitious for a beginner?

5. Lastly is a 24 hour fast one day per week essential ? if so im thinking the day after your cheat day would be the best time to do it...

Sorry for all the questions, really would like any feedback at all.

cheers :)

4 try it and see what happens. If you can do it good for ou. That's what I'm doing at the moment, most days 5 hours eating 19 off.

5 I don't think 24 fast is part of it? It's just stick with the window all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

I usually just cycle carbs and calories to shed body fat but im thinking of giving this diet a chance. Im currently 11 % body fat at 76kg and im looking to drop down to 8 or 9 % really just for my ab's to show.

Iv got a few questions if anyone witn IF experience can answer them id appreciate it a lot.

1. Is the increase of your HGH level significant enough to actually make any kind of increased muscle building gains during a future bulk when i reach my target body fat %?

2. Would an amino acid supplement or caffeine intake say from a pre workout/zero energy drink/black coffee be considered as breaking your fast?

3. Is it true that when you break your fast carb control isnt that much of an issue as long as you stay in your calorie deficit? Like you could safely spike your insulin levels and continue to burn body fat...

4. Is an 18 hour fast and 6 hour eating window too ambitious for a beginner?

5. Lastly is a 24 hour fast one day per week essential ? if so im thinking the day after your cheat day would be the best time to do it...

Sorry for all the questions, really would like any feedback at all.

cheers :)

1. i have found very noticable increase in strength leading to muscle gain, but not as much as if on a bulk, obviously

2. caffeine is recommended up to 600mg per day, only pre work out, none post. coffee is fine but tabs would be easier. aminos break fast as they cause insulin spike so should be avoided.

3. fast should be broken with fats and protein, take your carbs around workout if possible, after work out being best. try to take majority of cals after workout.

4. why not start with couple weeks at 16/8 and progress from there.

5. 24hr fast is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dart1980

I have been intermittant fasting for over a year now, and have had some great results, but i have found my tolerance to alcohol has become very low, having alot of blackouts on nites with an average amount of alcohol, i have also incorporated a low carb diet with the IF, so i guess the answer is pretty simple, if i am going for a few drinks have something substantial including carbs before going out like soup/bread with steak and potato's, i had been getting worried for a while :), i only occasionly drink alcohol now days but i would prefer to remember the nite out!!

dart1980 wrote: »
    I have been intermittant fasting for over a year now, and have had some great results, but i have found my tolerance to alcohol has become very low, having alot of blackouts on nites with an average amount of alcohol, i have also incorporated a low carb diet with the IF, so i guess the answer is pretty simple, if i am going for a few drinks have something substantial including carbs before going out like soup/bread with steak and potato's, i had been getting worried for a while :), i only occasionly drink alcohol now days but i would prefer to remember the nite out!!

Jaysus you sound exactly like me, I'm doing IF on and off for a year and a half but mainly sticking to it but I've changed to different windows etc, but yeah I've had alot of blackouts too. I reckon carrying the extra weight soaked up the alcohol or something but I defo find that on nights out I get a lot drunker than I used too, and have had several blackout but i have stopped this lately and cut back as much as I can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement