Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intermittant Fasting

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Sorry to Drag up an Old thread. But just wondering how people got on with results regarding IF. I'm looking at doing the 16:8 IF do go along with Weights training to Bulk up but cut fat to an extent. Would love to hear feedback from people who tried and succeeded/failed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Sorry to Drag up an Old thread. But just wondering how people got on with results regarding IF. I'm looking at doing the 16:8 IF do go along with Weights training to Bulk up but cut fat to an extent. Would love to hear feedback from people who tried and succeeded/failed :)

going to be extremely difficult to Cut & Bulk at the same time , unless you are a beginner or using enhancements.
    focus on doing one at a time. IF is usually more helpful for cutting.

Tanks for reply. But is IF not also useful for getting strength gains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tanks for reply. But is IF not also useful for getting strength gains?

Why would it be? How would only eating for 8 hours make you stronger?

It would be useful for cutting as your limiting your food intake window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I stuck to it for about 18 months. It's brilliant.

Go to leangains.com and read everything there

What sort of results did you get and did you stop after the 18 months?

I achieved serious results, got in best shape of my life.

Every lift increased, I lost fat, IMO I gained muscle also. Waist was much slimmer, got compliments on how my skin looked and what good shape I got into on a daily/weekly basis

I stopped after 18 months just by being lazy and loving food too much.

I used to go 1pm-6pm was my eating window. For me, it just meant skipping breakfast and small break in work. Then eat at lunch and dinner as normal. I eat huge portions so I was getting enough calories.

These days I do IF probably twice a week, the rest I'm not disciplined enough and eat for small break and eat after 6.

Every lift increased, I lost fat, IMO I gained muscle also. Waist was much slimmer, got compliments on how my skin looked and what good shape I got into on a daily/weekly basis

I used to go 1pm-6pm was my eating window. For me, it just meant skipping breakfast and small break in work. Then eat at lunch and dinner as normal. I eat huge portions so I was getting enough calories.

These days I do IF probably twice a week, the rest I'm not disciplined enough and eat for small break and eat after 6.

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear people getting good results. Have started it since monday and I am actually surprised im not hungry in the mornings and evening like I use to be. This morning especially I didnt feel sluggish.

I am doing my eating window from 12-8pm as I train around 6/7 on training days. Normally I would of had porridge at 7am and then something else like a sandwich etc around 11am. The last 2 morning I just had a black coffee or green tea before 12. I dont feel sluggish and only start to get hungry around 11. Gonna try it for a few weeks and ee how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What time would your workout have been at?

• Advertisement

4pm.

Light cardio during the day from 9-4 as part of my job.

Finish my workout by 5, dinner at 5.40. Finished eating after that

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

^The results I've seen people claiming from the leangains-prescribed type of IF seem to be unreal. I never seen so many people say (and show) such positive results from one 'protocol' and even claim to feel it's so easy to stick to.
    For a guru (Martin Berkhan, likeable Swedish oddball imo) that's not in fact actively trying to make a buck (from what I could tell) increasing the reknown of their diet approach etc, that's gotta be some kind of indicator too that maybe it isn't just marketing.

Results are unreal. I have been doing it the nearly two weeks. Have been training 3 days a week with Cardio as I am training for a half marathon in 2 weeks, but I have lost a good bit of Fat but have only lost 2lb weight which is good. Wont be touching weights till after the half marathon so see how it goes then.

I use to swear by eating breakfast but rising at 6.30 and not eating till 12 is no problem now. I get hungry around 10/11 but i just drink water or a green tea and I have noticed myself having more energy in the mornings. My daily routine would be:

6.30 am - Rise
    7.00 am - Coffee with no sugar and a drop of coconut milk
    12.00 pm - Depends - Brown bread roll with chicken and salad, Tuna and Sweetcorn and Tomato Salad, Salmon, Mackerel etc. Mostly high protein meal with veg or salad. Also include fruit aswell
    4.00 pm - Yogurt/Avocado/Homemade Oatmeal Bar/Fruit Smoothie
    6.00 pm - Train
    8.00 pm - Dinner - Usually lean Meat with lots of veg. with either rice or sweet potatoes.
    10.00 pm(roughly) - Bed

All this along with 4 litres of water daily. I do my training around 6pm and havent ever felt loss of energy and my time has improved slightly also. I normally would of eaten a high carb snack or something similar before any training. Will wait till after the half marathon and record my results and then after 4 weeks of Weight training and record my results also.

Testimony after two weeks probabaly isn't very valid.

Try two months or two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Also a daily diet of the above with excercise mixed in is going to lead to similar results be it in IF or spread across 14 hours. For me IF suits because I was never a breakfast person anyway and I would be a grazer at night so it's mainly about stopping that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

back on it myself since Jan, discovered it a few year sback and had great results combined with healthy living. like other posters have mentioned it also suits me as i'm not a breakfast person myself bar the very odd time and the late night eating was a killer for me back in the day so eating between a 6-8 window stops me eating late and keeps the calories down although i find the weekends hard as i like my alcohol and the diet is not as good as weekdays

20-24hr fasts 1-2 days a week works great for me also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Just finished my first weekk and found it pretty good although it's early days. I close my eating window at 7pm and don't break fast until atleast 17 hours later . The past week I've fasted for 18, 18.5, 17, 20.5, 21.5, and 18 hours! Ive been training an hour or two before I break fast each day. I know the minimum fasting period is 16 hours but I was just wondering is their any issue with my fasting windows being inconsistent.?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Might try out this Intermittent fasting - eat in a 8 hour window and fast in 16 hours.

From a quick read of some research it seems to be somewhat logical, but I guess the number of calories is the main thing.

newcar2016 wrote:
    From a quick read of some research it seems to be somewhat logical, but I guess the number of calories is the main thing.

It's a useful method of appetite control. It probably has some hormonal benefits as well but that's the only noticeable effect I had from it.

Haven't had anything in over four hours. Caved in now though, having some soup, only 55 calories though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

newcar2016 wrote: »
    Haven't had anything in over four hours. Caved in now though, having some soup, only 55 calories though :pac:

So, it's working out well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I typically have two meals a day: one at 1-2 and the other at 6-7. I skip breakfast and don't snack. So depending on the day (even skip lunch sometimes) I have 17-24 hour fasts.

If you eat nutritionally dense foods, you won't be hungry. To be honest, I don't know if its the cyclical ketogenic diet that I'm doing, or this, what is driving the whole health of it, but it's working great for me.

Its fairly well established in terms of research anyway.

There was news reports recently about research stating that your evening meal should be a small one.

Irish mammies being doing it wrong all this time.

newcar2016 wrote:
    There was news reports recently about research stating that your evening meal should be a small one.

newcar2016 wrote:
    Irish mammies being doing it wrong all this time.

There's contradictory advice out all the time. Personally I make my evening meal the largest because its my post workout meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    There's contradictory advice out all the time. Personally I make my evening meal the largest because its my post workout meal.

I make my post workout meal a medium sized dinner not large

To leave room for dessert.
    Delicious dessert gains

Mellor wrote:
    I make my post workout meal a medium sized dinner not large

Dessert is still post workout meal! All of the sugary goodness... I mean post workout carb loading super metabolism boost for increased MPS and insulin sensitivity. Yep that's why I have a big dessert. MPS and insulin and stuff...

Advertisement