Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Ping times

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anything I can do to get lower pingtimes/best possible ping times availiable for me?
    Any tweaks? Willing to pay...
    At the moment, I'm only getting decent pings to UK(40ms). Other countries are already getting bad ping times above 60ms, which is hard to play on competitive level of FPS games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thret wrote: »
    Anything I can do to get lower pingtimes/best possible ping times availiable for me?
    At the moment, I'm only getting decent pings to UK(40ms). Other countries are already getting bad ping times above 60ms, which is hard to play on competitive level of FPS games.

If you haven't already ask them to lower the interleaving on your line to a minimun. They can do this from the broadband support number with a simple profile switch, it's instant. 1890 260 260

I played competitive games like ut/quake at a decent level for a long time and since October I've had 200/300 pings every night. They still haven't fixed the issue so gaming is a no go for me anymore :rolleyes:

I'm on eircom myself, the best pings you can realistically expect (dos) are 20-25 ms to irish servers, 35 to UK servers, 35-40 to NL servers, 42ish to 50 DE servers, well that's how it was a year or two ago anyway. If you're pinging 40 to multiplay I'd assume you're on the lower interleaving package since I recall mine being a good bit higher, no harm giving them a ring anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

thret wrote: »

Hi thret,

Thanks for your post. I've checked this with eircom Technical Support. Ping times to a UK (games) server of 40ms is generally slightly over average. What speed are you getting when you ping eircom.net? If you're getting ping times between 20 - 45ms and having problems playing games, this may be related to your game setup. Technical Support advise that they cannot be responsible for ping times to external web or games servers. A slow ping time on residential broadband is generally considered over 80ms.

Your broadband connection is already setup on low interleaving, and this is best for online games as it allows better ping times. Your broadband is synced at 8Mb on NGB - uncongested broadband, even at peak times.

If you feel you are getting slow speeds, test this first with one computer connected over Ethernet - www.eircom.net/speedtest

The following broadband check may also be helpful - http://bit.ly/BBChecks

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

nuxxx wrote: »
    If you haven't already ask them to lower the interleaving on your line to a minimun. They can do this from the broadband support number with a simple profile switch, it's instant. 1890 260 260

I played competitive games like ut/quake at a decent level for a long time and since October I've had 200/300 pings every night. They still haven't fixed the issue so gaming is a no go for me anymore :rolleyes:

I'm on eircom myself, the best pings you can realistically expect (dos) are 20-25 ms to irish servers, 35 to UK servers, 35-40 to NL servers, 42ish to 50 DE servers, well that's how it was a year or two ago anyway. If you're pinging 40 to multiplay I'd assume you're on the lower interleaving package since I recall mine being a good bit higher, no harm giving them a ring anyway.

Eircom, ping rates are rarely less then 30 and no higher than 60 on a good line. But high congestion lines tend to raise the ping. Anything more then 45 ping is not really good for gaming with other people online.

Try this speed test but do the pingtest.net one below-This will check your line for packet loss, jitter on the line, and ping. Eircom lines are fairly well kept. I usually have no packet loss, ping around 40, and between 1and 2 jitter on the line-better to have 0 of course.

If you are pinging 40 to the UK you must be on a good package with Eircom (24 MB?) Pinging to different servers in the UK my ping can go as high as 200

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

I've done all the interleaving stuff. And yes, online gaming is one, but Counter-Strike is a different thing. The less ping you have, the more advantage it is. I play at semi-pro level, and I have twice or even triple ping times that upc or people from scotland have to london, which is even further.

Most people will have around 30-40ms to Germany (international server zone) from any part of europe. I'm getting over 70ms which is hard to compete with.
    Anyway, if nothing can be done, I wont mind. Guess this will be need to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Eircom, ping rates are rarely less then 30 and no higher than 60 on a good line. But high congestion lines tend to raise the ping. Anything more then 45 ping is not really good for gaming with other people online.

Try this speed test but do the pingtest.net one below-This will check your line for packet loss, jitter on the line, and ping. Eircom lines are fairly well kept. I usually have no packet loss, ping around 40, and between 1and 2 jitter on the line-better to have 0 of course.

If you are pinging 40 to the UK you must be on a good package with Eircom (24 MB?) Pinging to different servers in the UK my ping can go as high as 200

"Eircom, ping rates are rarely less then 30 and no higher than 60 on a good line."

How long is a piece of string? It depends what destination you're pinging. The ping samples I provided to the OP are accurate from 3 different destinations in Ireland from first hand experience. I could ping a Russian server and receive a 70ms reply, and ping an Irish server down the road and receive a 18ms reply, therefore your point makes no sence.

Pingtest.net isn't reliable, for accurate ping times you should use the command prompt and run a simple ping -t. There you can see if you're ping is stable and also see the jitter(packet loss) due to packets being dropped.

Asking if he has a 24mb connection isn't relevant, it depends slightly on his upload speed, the congestion on his local exchange and the interleaving profile assigned to his account. Furthermore what do you mean that Eircom lines are "fairly well kept" ? High congestion on his line doesn't "raise" his ping times, it makes the response times unstable. I.e. First packet returns 40ms, second packet returns 200ms, 3rd packet returns 80ms and so on. It doesn't make his line suddenly give +30 yet stable pings.

Finally saying that some servers in the UK return you a value of 200ms doesn't mean anything. If you're using sites like pingtest you're getting a one off value not a correct and accurate one. If you're getting an accurate reading of 200ms over many returned packets and other sites are pinging for example 30ms in the UK that issue is simply down to a routing problem, more than likely a problem on a node somewhere that is out of Eircom's control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement