Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders finish- cost to move in

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all

Been looking at a house in the midlands, 3100 sq ft. It's currently finished on the outside, plastered, painted gardens and walls. It's the inside which is basically a shell. Currently it's not plastered and no 1st fixtures. Realising that this question is like asking how long is a piece of string, I'm wondering would anybody have a rough estimate as to what it would cost to make it liveable? Basically once we had a v basic bathroom, kitchen and bed we'd work on the rest over time.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

50/60k roughly with a lot off hard work yourselves. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

psychhead wrote: »
    Hi all

Been looking at a house in the midlands, 3100 sq ft. It's currently finished on the outside, plastered, painted gardens and walls. It's the inside which is basically a shell. Currently it's not plastered and no 1st fixtures. Realising that this question is like asking how long is a piece of string, I'm wondering would anybody have a rough estimate as to what it would cost to make it liveable? Basically once we had a v basic bathroom, kitchen and bed we'd work on the rest over time.
    Thanks!

Rough guess.
    Wiring 11 grand including chasing
    ceilings? suspended, then slabbed 4 grand including materials..maybe less.
    plastering inside only. (depends if u dry line or not) 7 scratch coat and skim
    floor insulation. 2500
    screed 4 including upstairs.
    plumbing for heating condensing oil boiler and rads, 3 zones...14k
    whats your bathroom budget? 5
    tiling budget 6?
    kitchen 6?
    white goods, cooker washing machine etc.
    internal doors including frames start pricing. window board as well skirting architrave and ironmongery. u woulndt have much change from 5 or 6 grand including labour and materials.
    painting inside.

ud nearly want to think abot brining in a QS before u buy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1
    + chances are no air-tightness , plently of thermal bridges, poor insulation levels or no ventilation strategy has been considered ( and windows are probably warped from the temp variations)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 February21

BryanF wrote: »
    +1
    + chances are no air-tightness , plently of thermal bridges, poor insulation levels or no ventilation strategy has been considered ( and windows are probably warped from the temp variations)

BryanF, you seem to be very knowledgable on these matters. I too am considering buying a block/roof/window finished house - with everything else to be finished by ourselves. As quality of build is more important than scrimping on the pennies, we are eager to ensure that all works that have been finished to date are viable. Are we entitled to refer to the original engineering team for certification of works already carried out? Are they obliged to disclose all information regarding these works? (eg if there are problems or not). Obviously, this house has been half built and vacant for a while - will an independent QS report reveal all "repair" work to be done and their relevant cost?

I believe my questions/comments are relevant to this thread. Anyone who is considering buying half-finished houses must firstly factor in the cost of repairing any work that was not completed to standard or that has fallen into disrepair in the time that the building has been dormant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

February21 wrote: »
    I too am considering buying a block/roof/window finished house - with everything else to be finished by ourselves. As quality of build is more important than scrimping on the pennies, we are eager to ensure that all works that have been finished to date are viable.
    1. Are we entitled to refer to the original engineering team for certification of works already carried out?
    2. Are they obliged to disclose all information regarding these works? (eg if there are problems or not).
    3. Obviously, this house has been half built and vacant for a while - will an independent QS report reveal all "repair" work to be done and their relevant cost?
    4. I believe my questions/comments are relevant to this thread. Anyone who is considering buying half-finished houses must firstly factor in the cost of repairing any work that was not completed to standard or that has fallen into disrepair in the time that the building has been dormant.

1. yes, whether you'll get all the relevant paperwork or not is another matter
    2. I dont really know, you see at the time of the build/ to whatever stage its at, should be to building Regs, but what are chances... this is Ireland:rolleyes: from the moment the building was left vacant who knows what water, moisture penetration, warping, swelling etc has taken place.. any engineer you hire will only be able to comment on what s/he sees , so ultimately its you who takes the gamble
    3. roughly costed yes, 'all repair work' - its back to you taking the gamble on what issue may not be visible..
    4. you sort of answer your own question here in regards to your own liability, in taking on such a project. who knows it might be a grand sound house... other factors may be relevant like - what other work the developer/builder has done in the area/estate, what the reason was for non- completion, what standard its at etc. Go and talk to his previous clients/ subcontractors/his builder providers etc..

Advertisement