Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What area of Canada for work?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm heading to Canada on a working holiday visa around September with the hope of finding a job that will sponsor to stay
    The question I have because I don't really know much about the place, what areas of the country would give me a better chance? I'm going purely to work so even the most northerly or remote is not an issue
    Im looking to do an aprentiship in caperntry and from doing a quick job search on one site (not a clue of where the places I searched were located) there seems to be loads of jobs going in some places and some areas there was nada
    I read on another post here that the oil industry up north find it hard to hang onto staff so would be willing to sponsor?

If anyone has any experience or input I would appreciate it
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I'm heading to Canada on a working holiday visa around September with the hope of finding a job that will sponsor to stay
    The question I have because I don't really know much about the place, what areas of the country would give me a better chance? I'm going purely to work so even the most northerly or remote is not an issue
    Im looking to do an aprentiship in caperntry and from doing a quick job search on one site (not a clue of where the places I searched were located) there seems to be loads of jobs going in some places and some areas there was nada
    I read on another post here that the oil industry up north find it hard to hang onto staff so would be willing to sponsor?

If anyone has any experience or input I would appreciate it
    Cheers

You wont be able to do an apprenticeship in Canada with under the IEC and you won't get an LMO to do an apprentiship!

There's a pending skills shortage in British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan! The west side of Canada basically! But its a skills shortage, carpenters with years of experience and qualifications will find it hard enough to get LMO's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddywhack2

No idea what the lmo or ice is...
    I do know that right before Christmas the carpenters union were crying out for Irish people to go do aprentiships but I missed the boat on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

No idea what the lmo or ice is...
    I do know that right before Christmas the carpenters union were crying out for Irish people to go do aprentiships but I missed the boat on that one

The IEC visa is the temporary one that you are going over on. You could work as a carpenters labourer on that visa but not as an apprentice because you can't register as an apprentice on a working holiday visa.

The LMO is out for you because this is the process an employer has to go through to sponsor you. They won't get an LMO for somone who is an apprentice, only a qualified carpenter. (unless something has changed dramatically that I don't know about)

I didn't hear about the carpenters union hiring apprentices from Ireland. It would make sense because they find it hard to get apprentices, but up until now i dont think it was possible due to visa situations.

Did you work in another area at home that would allow you to get sponsored if you found a Canadian employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

sorry for butting in here, but im thinking about heading over on a whv, now ive no trades but my skills would be carpentry, labouring, welding fabrication, how would i fair out over there, where would the best place for me to go with these skills. thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

sorry for butting in here, but im thinking about heading over on a whv, now ive no trades but my skills would be carpentry, labouring, welding fabrication, how would i fair out over there, where would the best place for me to go with these skills. thanks guys

Im currently researching to moving over there and i am qualifeld carpenter and as far as i know its mostly union there and would need permit like a red seal indorsment and there not that handy got by all accounts . A trade qualifaction is a big issue there and so it should be as four years spend in training .

Best of luck with it . :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement