Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corolla VVTi cutting out - MIL on

• 16-04-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

I have the misfortune of owning a 00 Corolla VVTi at the moment (bloody recession:rolleyes:), 4ZZ-FE engine.

When I got it the MIL was on. Apparently the crank sensor was the cause of it, and it was replaced.

However, the light has come on again.

I've noticed that sometimes that if you press in the clutch when coming to a halt, the revs will drop down to as low as 200 rpm but it will go straight back to normal revs, and that's fine.

However, the odd time (it actually happened three times today), it will just cut out as you clutch in while slowing down! It seems to be more likely to do if it involves turning. It's getting on my nerves now.

Please don't tell me that it's the crankshaft sensor after going again on it (cause it sounds to me like all the hallmarks of a crankshaft sensor giving up the ghost) :(?

I've just remembered that it has another problem too, which I think is related. When driving on a motorway or higher speeds it you can hear it ever so slightly knocking - if you put your foot down on the accelerator it stops, so maybe it's running a little too lean?

PS: anyone know somewhere cheap and competant in Galway that can fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Could possibly be the timing chain. Timing goes off when it gets loose and gives those kind of symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

fj1200 wrote: »
    Could possibly be the timing chain. Timing goes off when it gets loose and gives those kind of symptoms.

I really hope not, there's no rattle from it anyway! I've never heard of VVTis suffering from that kind of problem - I was always under the impression that that kind of problem was something exclusive to the Nissan Almera!

Jesus if the timing chain is gone I swear I'll go absolutely nuts, and mine is a Jap built one, so it's supposed to be better made than the British built cars!

Thanks for your suggestion, even though it's not really what I wanted to hear:)!

Anyone else got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

It seems to be related to the idle speed control and the fact that it's more likely to cut out if the steering is turned means it's not compensating for extra loads. Something is sticking. I don't know what system is on that car but you could start by cleaning the throttle body (especially around the butterfly) and also the stepper motor or control valve or whatever is fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Wheelnut wrote: »
    It seems to be related to the idle speed control and the fact that it's more likely to cut out if the steering is turned means it's not compensating for extra loads. Something is sticking. I don't know what system is on that car but you could start by cleaning the throttle body (especially around the butterfly) and also the stepper motor or control valve or whatever is fitted.

That sounds a lot less bad, thanks:)! I can hear the power steering pump doing its job when turning the wheel (even when moving at low speeds), it sounds a bit like its hissing, but this is the first time in a while I've driven something with hydraulic rather than electric power steering (and the steering is typical Toyota - far too light for my taste, so I very much doubt there is anything wrong there), so I suppose that is normal? Sometimes, but not all of the time it will nearly cut out but doesn't quite do it when coming to a stop - it will go down to 200 rpm but it's as if the ECU recognises that something is up and instantly the car will go back up to normal idle speed.

By the way this never happens when the engine is cold - only when fully warmed up.

Advertisement