Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I wait for new contract before giving notice?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone can help, I have been offered a new position and am due to complete the medical tomorrow morning. If all goes well there I want to give notice at my current job(it's 4 weeks) is this foolish should I wait for the contract to be e-mailed?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

At the very least wait for the contract so you can see if there are any terms that you're not happy with. Although in reality it doesn't offer a huge amount more protection, I'd wait for them to send a signed copy too.

If they need you to start in 4 weeks, then it's up to them to send out the paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I defnitely would not hand in my notice until I had received offer letter and contract in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zelda101

Thought as much thanx��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Most companies will understand that you will not hand in your notice till you have a contract in your hand.
    I know I had a previous company motorbike courier a contract to me to allow me to hand in my notice as early as possible.

They will not be surprised by this.
    If your anxious to leave and start the new job (often the case) I would still wait till its all in writing, the downside of working an extra week is nothing compared to the downside of an offer falling through after you have handed in notice.

Advertisement