Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a rabbit but I can't keep it

• 16-04-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi, we spotted a rabbit in our garden last night & the kids managed to catch it.

We managed to make a makeshift home (sectioned off the side passage with a kennel) & gave it some carrots & cabbage & posted on the Lost&Found page here.

Picked up some food this morning & put up "found" posters. I know it is early days, but my dog will not take kindly to our unexpected visitor so I will need to pass her on - but where is best. I don;t want to see her being put down. Is there somewhere that deals with abandoned rabbits?

She is not really eating or drinking too much - any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Ya sure its a pet? Got a pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I'm based in Dublin 15 (someone PM'd to find out)

I'll try to post a picture

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Probably not likely to be wild if found in D15.

If you can't find the owner you might be able to get a foster home before it gets rehomed.

Post a pic and some one might be able to help

Think I managed to attach a pic. I doubt it is wild, but then again I know nowt about rabbits!

Ideally we will try to find the owner, but I can reallly only manage to keep the dog at bay for a while. We have posted "found" posters and we have put the word out with neighbours & kids at school, so fingers crossed. i'd hate to think some kid is missing their pet.

About 4 or 5 people have said it may have been abandonded as there has been an increase on owners doing that - hard to believe !!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

godtabh wrote: »
    Probably not likely to be wild if found in D15.
    Absolutely loads in Waterville park in Blanch ;) but yeh, that pic doesnt look like a wild rabbit at all.

• Advertisement

Is there anyone out there in a poosition to foster this little dote - hopefully the owners will come forward in the next few days but is there anyone who is in a position to foster until then??

rabbit stew?

You're just hilarious, why not keep such stupid comments to After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

not funny
    LittleA - please use the report post function instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm in clonsilla and one of our cats brought home a baby rabbit (about the size of a guinea pig, so about half grown) and i managd to get it off him before he did any visible damage and we kept him comfortable and warm overnight, but i guess he either had internal injuries or died from the shock of it all as he was dead by the following morning before we could release him back into the wild. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have been with my inlaws down the country twice in a couple of weeks.

Each time the cat has brought a rabbit home as a present. Twice it lived for a while but not through the night. The shock kills them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

godtabh wrote: »
    I have been with my inlaws down the country twice in a couple of weeks.

Each time the cat has brought a rabbit home as a present. Twice it lived for a while but not through the night. The shock kills them
    on the bright side, my dad lives in the country and his cat likes to leave baby rabbit heads on his doorstep as presents and eats the rest. he usually gets at least one or two a week. :(

So far, no volunteer to foster. I have to sort something out today, the dog & rabbit nearly met.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to bring her to?
    Is the local vet (part of a chain) likely to take her?
    Is there anywhere else to bring her where she won't be put down?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ill PM you the name of a rescue that maybe able to help!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Is it in a hutch or anything or have you got it loose?

If you're really stuck I'd be able to take it temporarily, I've a large walled in garden and a watertight dry wooden shed. That's if you have no luck with the rescue.

Thanks Silverfish,

I am up to 90 today so I will contact the rescues tomorrow & I'll get back to you if I have no joy.

She has access to about 1mtr x 3mtrs at the side of the house (concrete, not ideal) and access to the dogs old kennel. Also putting her into the garden for a hour or two a day for a good stretch of the legs.

I have heard nothing from the posters I have put up so maybe she has been abandonded after all, in which case, I need to find her a permanent home - my dog is watching her having a bounce around the garden right now & going mad !!!

Anyone want a cute little rabbit - she is really friendly & would be very easy to look after (if you don't have a dog with a track record!)

Hi,

If you like, I can take the bun either way, not ideal if hes stressing out the dog!

I can bring him to a rescue at the weekend or get attached and end up keeping him, most likely!

Silverfish - thanks

I'll PM you

A HUUUGGGGEEEE thank you to Silverfish for taking our little rescue rabbit. She is so kind and had even arranged a hutch, bowls, bottles, hay, bedding etc for the new arrival.

The rabbit was happy out exploring her new surrounding and looked so content.

I'll sleep easy knowing she has gone to a very loving owner - THANKS!!!

No problem! She is enjoying the garden and our collection of dandelions, but she's not liking the hutch too much,she was staring daggers at us after we put her in for the night! So we'll have to look at other options for her.

Such a lovely bun, only too happy to give her a home!

Oh and she gave me an absolute heart attack when she disappeared for an hour, thought she'd gotten out somehow so was searching our garden and the neighbours garden for an hour in the pouring rain - turns out there's a huge space underneath our shed where she was happily munching watching me panic.

Advertisement